Lumpy Ears

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Jumping Bean, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

My 12 year old SB gelding has large pea-sized lumps on the tips of both his ears. They are hard, non-painful and about four on each ear roughly. They are in a cluster, and you can see them raised under the skin.

He has some bits of eyelid missing on both of his eyes, he had lumps cut off them as a young racehorse, the previous owner could not tell me what they were. He is quite a 'lumpy' horse, he has had various lumps that come and go, the vet has told me not to worry about those, but these ear lumps are here to stay. He is black, not grey, but I would like to get them biopsied when he comes back to Perth because I just don't think they are ok to stay there without checking if they are cancerous.

I have had him since he was 8, the lumps have always been there. The vet told me to keep an eye on them before doing anything drastic, but they ain't shifting! I don't want to lop his ear tips off without making sure. If they are harmless I will leave well enough alone, but I have a niggle that says they aren't.

I am worried they might be malignant sarcomas or something, I had a black tb gelding who had a similar thing years ago and that was what it was, nasty horrid lump on his stifle. He was about 16 at the time, and it had to be surgically removed.

Anyone experienced similar ear or eye lumps?

2. horsesarelife

horsesarelife Well-known Member

hmmm...my mare has hard slightly larger then pea sized lumps on her ears and they dont seem to hurt her at alll....

hmmm...
    i have no idea
    x

3. Jumping Bean

I have just been out and prodded them (he was having his arvo nap and isn't very happy with me waking him up hehe, I got ears back grumpy faces and nips) they are really rock hard.

I hope he doesn't have to lose his ear tips .... no hope of showing the poor little man then .... although he has quite alot of ear so he wouldn't really miss them lol! :D My little donkey horse :)

4. Jumping Bean

Bump! :)* :D :D :))

5. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

I've just noticed them on my babies ears as well - I think they are from fly bites. Just got to watch in case they get infected - usually they just get lanced if that happens.

6. Jumping Bean

Yes it is odd - they are quite big, maybe more like macadamia sized lol, on the inside of the ears. Not unsightly, I am probably just worrying too much lol, but I might get them checked out when he gets his next drenching date with the vet :D after he comes back from spell.

They are quite round too, like small marbles, very puzzling.