lump on his back

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by snoopydoo, Nov 8, 2007.

1. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

For about the last 2 weeks Toby has been developing a lump just to the side of his spine area. It started off like a mozzie bite, a small pea sized lump. I pressed it and he didn't react so it wasn't painful and there were no rubs marks or hair loss assossiated with it. Over the 2 weeks it has grown outwards and upwards and is now the size of a 50 cent coin. It remained painless to him and the hair stayed on. Today the lump seemed prouder above normal skin level so I had a good feel - he still didn't react so in no pain. I realised the lump was a scab like thing so I pulled it off. The scab was a yellowish colour and all the hair pulled off with it. The hairless area is roundish and pink with a small amount of yellow ooze. I've covered it with antiseptic spray and rugged him so the flies don't get at it.
    Any ideas???? I thought it might be a bite that he's reacted to and got infected, but surely that would have been painful? He has had a few spots of blood on his coat where other beasties have got him though he is generally rugged in a cotton I have left it off some days..... Do I just carry on and see if it improves in the next few days??#(

2. pso

pso Gold Member

few questions...

Is he wormed regularly? (esp with a mectin based wormer?)
    Do you use a clean saddle cloth every time he is ridden?
    Does his saddle fit correctly?
    Does he get the lumps anywhere else on the body?
    :))

3. Jadels

Jadels New Member

After seeing sarcoids first hand - i think i am a sceptic, but they can grow very quickly and to the size you are talking about.. maybe worth the thought

4. snoopydoo

That was my first thought too PSO. The saddle is fairly new, but the lump is not where the saddle actually sits, it's nearly on his spine and it is not painful. The lump is in the gullet if you know what I mean. He is only ridden very lightly by my daughter so I tend to only change the saddle cloth once a week. I always make sure it is pulled up into the gullet of the saddle. There were no rub makes or hair loss before the lump appreared so I'm fairly sure that it's not anything like that.

Jadels - can you pull the top off a sardoid?? The skin underneath looks smooth and healthy.

I'll try and get a pic today so you can see.

Thanks foryour commentys though. I need to explore every avenue.

5. pso

pso Gold Member

I only mentioned it cos mine gets them too...(and yep, sometimes the top comes off like yours did...) and similarly, not in places that are under saddle pressure...
    Mine is worked quite heavily...is washed thouroughly after working, clean blanket every day...I found sheepskin lined saddleblankets reduced the lumps.. (by geez they are hard to wash every day!)

Some horses get 'summer sores'- something to do with worm cysts I think... someone will know the full details! (I cant remember the specifics off the top of my head) And the lumps will disappear after a thorough worming with a mec based wormer... just an idea!
    :))

6. snoopydoo

Yuck - worm cysts. I had seen this in my vet book so it's a possibility and he's due for a wormer too. I'll get a pic this arvo so you can see the "wound" or whatever it is...:confused:

7. snoopydoo

Ok. Here's the pic of Toby's "wound". I bathed it in saline today and have re-sprayed it. As you can see the edge of the area is quite distinct. I have decided that if things don't start improving the I'll call out the vet. Anyone got any ideas??

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  8. snoopydoo

OOps I forgot to rotate the image!! But you get the idea.@)

9. pso

pso Gold Member

ooooo...hmmm, would think more towards sarcoid...
    If its not looking like its going away after the week end, u should prob get that checked! (esp on a grey!):)*

10. snoopydoo

Oh I hope not.. we're on the same wavelength though - vet on Monday if no improvements......:(

11. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

hi guys,

sorry, this may sound like a silly question. what is a sarcoid?

12. Jadels

Jadels New Member

Yep definately looking like a sarcoid to me..

A sarcoid is a non cancerous tumor. They affect horses in different ways but for the most part they dont care too much about them, unless they are terrible like my mares... Another story though.

Then there is a variety of ways to treat them;
    Cut them out (vet)
    Cut them out and put a little under the skin of the neck
    Freeze them like a wart
    A blood transfusion from the neck of the horse to the rump of the horse.
    Apply tea tree oil
    Apply copper sulphate - but be warned this can sting the horses and make them sensitive to the area
    Then there is a treatment that i am using made by darling downs equine health supplies in QLD, and they will post it to you and you pay once it arrives. Its a topical cream which slowely eats at the sarcoid
    Then there is xxx-tera (?) cream which can be prescribed by a vet but i am led to believe it costs an arm and a leg.

Nothing is 100% proven to get rid of sarcoids and thats one of the biggest problems. Quite often if they are cut or frozen (80% according to my vet) they actually grow back more aggressive.

They are hard to get rid of and a bit of an eye sore. But good luck! and if you want the phone number for the topical cream i am using (which seems to be working as the sarcoid on her back has gone fom 12 lumps to 1) then just PM me.

13. snoopydoo

Hope it's not a sarcoid due to the position it's in. I've heard spreading vegemite on a sarcoid can help.... I'll get the vet out and may pm you after that Jadels, thanks.:(

14. Laury

Laury New Member

My horse often has a lump on his back - fortunately he doesn't realise how easy that lump is to remove!!!!!

15. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I've seen ticks that end up like that-but not usually so big!

16. snoopydoo

LOL Laury :)*

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm hoping it's not a sarcoid. The lump part was the scab which I've taken off and the leision which you can see in the pic is not proud of normal skin level. I'm still hoping for an infected mozzie bite.........

I didn't do anything to it this morning and it looks drier. He still is not worried when I touch it - perhaps he has a high pain threshold????