Lucerne Chaff

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Angimac, May 15, 2014.

1. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Does anyone know where I can get good quality lucerne chaff nor?
    My stockfeeder has sold me two plain white bags of lucerne chaff this year and they have been a pale green with a lot shredded dried eucalyptus leaves and a couple of pebbles in them. Then I drove all the way sor to buy a branded bag, the lucerne was a nice rich green colour, but still had some shredded eucalyptus leaves in it.

I have had dusty (probably end of the batch), not the best quality and some thick stems in the lucerne chaff before, but not pebbles and leaves. Are they paid by the weight?

Can dried eucalyptus leaves carry cryptoccol? I read in a Hoofbeats years ago about an Arabian colt that died from the eucalyptus disease, but that was from the breathing in the pollen I think.

2. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Did you try City Livestock?

3. andowin

andowin New Member

I know you said NOR but if you want great stuff i suggest a trip to west coast chaff just off safety bay rd turn off in the kwinana freeway.

lucerne $22
    oaten chaff $20

our horse refuse to eat anything from any stockfeeds when it comes to chaff and lucerne. There lucerne is so lovely really green we can not fault it at all. highly worth taking a trip to them. **)

4. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Thanks for the post andowin, I will keep them in mind, it is a bit far, but that price is good.

5. macklin dramero

macklin dramero New Member

NOR Great Northern Highway, near to Warbrook Road Bullsbrook sells good chaff.