Low starch but fattening feeds

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Indigo King, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

This has probably been done to death but heres another one.

I am on the search for a low starch feed, I have a mare who has a tendancy to get quite stressed and nervous in different environments for example out at competitions, around new things, when theres a lot going on and I know this is due to lack of exposure and experience of being out and about as well but I would like to feed her something to help with this, as a pose to bulk energy feeds as this is not going to help our situation if she is being fed like a racehorse but not worked like one to burn it off!

But... I also have the problem that she isnt a great doer, she is a TB of course and a typical one at that, she looks beautiful at the moment, her coat is just blossoming, she is very healthy, she is building muscle up great and is no where near under weight but she could do with a little more fattening.

Any suggestions?

2. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Oil.

Grrrr 10 characters, cheap way bulk canola oil, expensive way Konkes energy gold, flaxseed oil.

3. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Well, there is quite a lot out there, what is she on at the moment?

Its an OTTB thing much more than nutrition but you could try:

Speedibeet
    Maxisoy
    Hygain zero/ice
    Lupins
    Hygain showtorque
    A feed balancer

It depends whether you are also worried about giving her protein or if starch is your only issue. As most of the above contain protein.

Oil is also great as mentioned, you cant really go wrong with it.

Try magnesium/B vitamins as well.

4. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

She gets Konkes energy gold oil at the moment and epsom salts which contains magnesium.

She doesnt eat Speedibeet, had her on this not long ago and wouldnt touch it, not quite sure why :/

At the moment she is on lucerne, pegasus equibalance, salt and oil which she is working really well on has really become less tense but looking for something to possibly add just to pick up on her weight a little. If the equibalance didnt work we were then going to try zero but it seems to be for now just needing another fattening source to add.

Has anyway tried the cool stance stuff, that you can soak or feed dry and what results have you seen in terms of fattening?

So far we are just trying to eliminate feeding bulk starch (one thing at a time) then if that doesnt seem to be the case will move onto protein, but the feed she is on at the moment seems to be working but just needing that little extra fattening to finish it off.

5. Warren

Warren New Member

I've had success with sunflower seeds. A cup of black sunflower seeds in each feed can make a big difference to weight without adding any unwanted oomph!

6. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Oh yes knew I was missing one. Copra, 500g dry weight per day, soaked, more palatable thsn speedibeet generally

7. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Hay, hay and more hay!! And also Lucerne hay. Try 2 - 4 bickys dailys depending on yr budget. Most grains and processed stuff will probably not agree with the horse. More simple the diet the better! Don't be in a rush for weight gain.**)

8. nika

nika New Member

Feed her nutri rice show and comp half a scoop twice a day with chaff, lucerne what minerals you add etc. Along with lots of hay 2-4 bicsuit or get her a round bale.
    I wouldn't feed oils as I've tried this with my T/B mare and they heat her up. I've found black sunnies and full fat soymeal work well without heating.
    This is what worked with my skinny T/B may not be the same for every horse.
    Start with the nutri rice diet with hay see how it goes then add to it slowly as in the sunnies or FFS if needed.
    I also feed equilibruim minerals the blue bag that has vitamin b.
    If nothing seems to be working she may have ulcers which my young horse had which was cleared up with a course ulcer treatment from the vet.
    Also make sure you are up to date with teeth and worming.
    Try and keep it simple.
    **)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. Karen Jet

Karen Jet New Member

Look into Mitavite Munga, low starch cool feed, good for muscling up and topline.