Low fat feed for coat

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by lara, Oct 27, 2014.

1. lara

lara Active Member

Hey guys looking for something low in sugar
    To darken up my mares coat any advice
    Greatly appreciated :)

2. Warren

Warren New Member

At this time of year horses should be looking better than they do at any other time because their summer coats have come through and haven't started to bleach.

If your horse has a balanced diet and protection from the sun she shouldn't need anything more to give her a good coat.

Are you trying to darken her natural colour (in which case maybe you should just accept what colour she is) or are you trying to improve a poor quality coat? If she has a poor quality coat you might need to check her diet to make sure it's correctly balanced. For example, copper deficiency can make the coat pale and dull.

Some people swear by Livamol which is a vitamin and mineral supplement which can make the coat colour richer but I'd try to balance the diet without an expensive supplement if I were you.

3. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Linseed and black sunflower seeds are both low suger/starch feeds that will shine the coat. Both high fat but you only need to give one quarter to half a cup per day, so not going to put the weight on :)

4. Meischa

Meischa New Member

Copra is also recommended for IR or laminitic horses and it's great for coats.