Losing Hair

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by star, Feb 14, 2003.

1. star

star New Member

I have 2 horses who are losing their hair, if you rub your fingers over their bodies in some parts hair comes out in bits through to the skin. I have not seen this before does anyone have any ideas?

2. naj

naj New Member

sounds like a reaction 2 me just ask ya vet they might help you

3. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

What condition are your horses in?, are they with any other horses in the same paddock? horses with really oily unkept coats get this type of hair loss, also horses with lice.
    the only other time i have seen this is with a TB mare i used to own that had such a short, fine coat all year round that it looked like she had black patches. summer rugs help to stop the hair getting so thin. if i kept her rugged all year round i didnt have the problem.

Hannah

4. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

A really good wash for any type of skin problem is a product that is produced by Amway. It is called Losic. I have seen this wash work on sweat boils and I used to use it to wash my chestnut horse when we lived in Queensland , because he suffered with Queensland Itch badly, even though we kept him rugged all the time .
    I would have a blood test done on your horse as well , as he may be needing a supplement , or could have some other problem.

Jo

5. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

when i was 7, just starting with horses i remember something similar. i havent seen it since or had to deal with it again so my knowledge on it is very vague. I think it was called Oncacerca (spellining????) and not 100% sure, but i think it was caused by mosquitoes or a bacteria/fungis. we had to take the pony to the vets, and keep her their for a few days. not sure why. I remember the pony lost lots of hair around the face/neck type region.

It could also be reinscolled (again spelling) if you horse is rugged it is very common. I think this is caused by dampness under the rug and bacteria. Usually seen around winter time when rugs get wet, or in humid places.

Queensland itch can be found in other parts of australia mostly due to the lack of quarenteen. Friends of mine bought a stuuben saddle from queensland, and it was contaminated, and never went through any quarenteen at all. unfortunately every horse that used the saddle came down with the same symptoms, although one horse was still quite badly done and couldnt seem to get rid of it, the others recovered quickly. I have no idea how queensland itch spreads.

Or it could be dirty type coat or something small or lying down or rubbing.
    Probebly the first thing to do is to give your horse a medicated bath with some medicated shampoo. If there is no change, then possibly contact a vet and tell him the symptoms. He may beable to recommend some treatment or he might have to come out to look at it.

-bec-

6. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Whatever was on that saddle Beccy I doubt that it would have been Queensland itch.
    Queensland itch is actually called sandfly dermatitis , and is caused by the bight of the mosquito and the sandflies.
    It is not contagious at all , and when we lived there for a while I only have trouble with the chestnut with this. The other horses , although the mozzies did worry them , they didn't have any of the rash.

Jo