Live Export has been halted

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by GoneRama, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Actually I never watched the Four Corners footage or story ';'. I don't rely on the media to give me facts.

Bout time I left this thread. Digging a hole for myself making me feel bad for eating any kind of meat what so ever. I may or may not have my facts straight but thats no reason to go calling people names.

*Arnie's gone vego because stockies told her to*

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Well spoke to the station manager at oenpelli and all their plans have gone out the window for the year. They're lucky, they're owned by the ILC so they should pull through all right, has still hit them though, they've had to cancel the choppers they had booked for the year.

The next 12 months are going to be interesting.

3. Jez

Jez Gold Member

There may be another way everyone individually can show their disgust at the treatment of animals in Indonesian slaughterhouses - stop going to bali. 16 planes leaving in a 12 hour period = a lot of tourists, tourism driven economy = increased demand for beef. And lets be honest here, who hasnt looked at that on a menu in a foreign country - Australian Beef - and thought, yep, feel like a good steak and ordered it. While eating that steak did anyone ask how it was slaughtered, where it was slaughtered, under what methods it was slaughtered....id say no. I know I have ordered Aussie Beef and never given its history from Headland to Plate a thought.

Indonesia doesnt like it when tourism revenue falls.

Wonder if anyones thought twice about going to bali since this footage aired?

4. tsarbrina

tsarbrina Well-known Member

Very good point Jez...certainly would be the quickest way to get them to clean up there act over that way...cut the tourist dollar.

5. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Wow.....and so the cycle begins again

I went to Bali about 5 days after the ban was imposed, I don't think a country should be stripped of tourists because of one issue. The people of Bali make a living off tourists, I even had a guy working at an art gallery tell me to tell all my friends come to Bali and spend money as he has seen so much go downhill since the bombings and lack of tourism....

One thing I didn't do though was eat beef.

7. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Just read last few posts about chickens :(:(:(:( I know that other people aren't as chicken mad as I am, and understand that, but I still find the idea of eating a chicken abhorrent. They have an awful life and an awful death :(:( THey are intelligent and kind, which is the only reason people can get away with the horrid things they do to them - because the chickens are too nice to attack them.

I can't help but notice how, as a species, we generally speaking keep killer creatures as pets (cats, dogs) and eat harmless, helpless and/or herbivorous creatures (chickens, cattle, sheep) :(

Only meat I eat is Harvey Beef, as I have seen first hand how the cattle live and that they are humanely slaughtered. Refuse to eat feed lot cattle. Would rather starve to death than eat a chicken.

We need something like this in Aust:

British Hen Welfare Trust

I would love to be involved in setting something similar up over here.

8. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

Chickens were my first reason for going vegetarian. I remember getting a chook ready for roasting (just one bought from the shop), and as I held it in my hand to put in the tray I realised it felt the same as holding a live chicken. I pictured one of my own chooks in my hand and it made me realise what I would actually be eating. I haven't eaten meat since then.