Live Export has been halted

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by GoneRama, Jun 8, 2011.

1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yup, it has. Heard it on the radio this morning.

Several properties up here have already had to put off staff and I'm guessing there's a lot more places to follow. A hay producer around Mataranka has just this morning put 2 of his staff off.

The station out here is not sure what's going to happen.

My question is.........now what? How are the families on properties who depend on live export to put food on the table going to survive over the coming weeks?

My friends, the great depression of the Top End has started :} Time to pass the hat around.

Now I'm not saying that what is going on in Indonesia is right, far from it, but how are the families who rely on it for an income going to survive? I don't exactly see the government coming out to support them.

6 month suspension. Not only the properties will feel it but chopper companies that do heli mustering, transport companies, feed companies, it's going to cost heaps of money to the producer to keep these cattle here which they may have to shoot anyway because they can't afford to look after them.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

After watching landine the other day and seeing how the animals where being treated over there its a great thing for them. I completly understand what you are saying GR what are the farmers meant to do now?? We are farmers but lucky we are not in cattle just sheep and cropping.
    They where discussing the option of killing them here and sending over the carcasses, maybe that is something they can get happening sooner than later. Surely that will provide more jobs here in abbatoirs etc.
    For all those poor people who are being put off work i hope they are able to find another job soon.

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yep I totally get what you are saying RRC and don't disagree.

What I don't get is that the places who were doing the right thing are also being 'punished' for want of a better terminology.

Perhaps the 6 month suspension is like a trial period.

It won't be easy for those put off to find work because of the amount of people who will now be after the limited jobs on offer.

I really don't know where I stand in this debate actually ';'

4. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

Yep agreed its a tricky one :}

5. domingo

domingo Active Member

Your business is very fragile when you only concentrate on one product and ignore the growing unhappiness of the customers/rest of the world. This has been going on for a long time.

Hopefully they'll find some sort of solution.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yep very true domingo but in this instance the unhappiness was not from the customer ie Indonesia but rather from elsewhere. As far as I was aware the Indonesians were happy with the product.

7. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

I agree with you totaly Gonerama I just wonder were it will all end as now humans are going to suffer. And NO I dont condone animals suffering.

8. domingo

domingo Active Member

yes, customers was probably the wrong word, but a large percentage of everyone else is a big number as well.

9. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

shouldn't all these Abattoirs in Indonesia already be approved and have stun guns before live trade even started 20 yrs ago? talk about shutting the gate after the bull..now all our farmers have to suffer because of the useless lazy govt who didnt bother to check in the first place!!(or didnt give a crap)

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Heaven forbid that they should process the meat here and offer it to the local market.

Who knows they may not make a fortune but be at least able keep things going until another path is taken, rather than rely on the guilt trip 'oh now we have to shoot them'.

I for one would love to see cheaper meat down here.

11. Picup436

Picup436 Active Member

While I don't condone animal cruelty, when did animal welfare become more important than human welfare?

12. sil

sil Gold Member

No humans are having their throat cut, it's a little bit hard to compare the two.

13. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

It is a really difficult situation and I dont understand the roles of the different organisations, i.e., Cwlth govt, Meat and Livestock Association etc. From what I understand, and may be corrected on this, farmers have been paying a levy to MLA and this was supposed to help towards the education in the welfare of the animals in Indonesia.

What happened there? Who is supposed to be monitoring how the animals are treated? I dont think using the excuse that once the animal leaves our shores our responsibilities end is good enough.

The cruelty has to be stopped. And if this means stopping the cattle then so be it. This probably puts me offside with people in the trade and who rely on this for their income. I have heard a lot of people in the business up in arms about it, understandably, but havent heard too many suggestions of solutions.

If this trade is to continue then all people involved need to get their heads together and come up with the right answers that will ensure our animals are treated well and the cruelty ends.

14. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yes sil you are right but these animals are at least getting a full belly of food by the time they get their throats cut.

15. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Where? The abattoirs are already at capacity. Most of the cattle who now can't be exported will be shot in the paddock :(

I don't believe in animal cruelty.

But I also don't believe in Governments who do nothing until there is a public outcry and then their response is a knee jerk reaction.

16. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Does anyone know if the documentary has been shown in Indonesia? Or if there are plans for it to be shown there? Or do Australians believe that the "average" Indonesian accepts the treatment of cattle in the abotoirs and thus it is up to Australia to put all the pressure on the Indonesian government without enlisting the support of locals?

17. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Australian cattle industry provides animal welfare solution | Meat & Livestock Australia

There just simply isn't the capacity in Australia to slaughter this many animals. The infrastructure would need to be built and then staffed. The weather conditions in the Top End mean that slaughtering on a large scale would be slowed down for a good 4-5 months of the year. Also the Indonesians need the fresh killed meat as they just simply don't have the refrigeration capabilities to keep carcasses slaughtered here in Australia.

What the MLA have put forth in that link above seems like a fairly good compromise.

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

It's a bit of a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of situation.

Either way, whatever decision the government made wasn't going to be liked by everyone. I just hate that the people that run the country don't live in the country.

19. Eo

Eo Active Member

yeah throw them on a truck and send them south... say 4 days in a road train.. then flood the market with cheap beef and everyone can have cheaper meat... Don't worry about the cow calf producers down south that have been just hanging in with the prices we've been paid for the last few years.

This year we are actually getting paid just over what its costing to produce.. But hey well just have to become more efficient or get out hey.. Already running near on 2 adult animals to the ha, half the place in trees, irrigation because everyone likes the ideas of grass fed beef not couped up in small feedlot. To pay for the set up and running these pivots because the payout for beef doesn't agisting Frisian's that'll be live exported to china for milk production and growing seed potatoes.. But hey maybe we could get into milking cows few million dollars up front then 14 hour plus days everyday of the year to be payed under what it cost to produce the milk and rely on export hfrs to make the bank account balance.

Just because they showed the worst of the abs that only process a hand full of cattle a day. I mean how many thousand we send there a year if they all killed them like this they would be able to process any more then a few hundred. Of course if they showed the decent ones it wouldn't of got the reaction they wanted. Personally i wouldn't of banned the export to those abs shown i would of burnt them to the ground. So the ones doing the right thing are the only ones able to process the animals we send. But yeah throw them on a truck and send them down don't worry about the farmers down here that make sure our animals are stress free and die as humanely as possible.. well all just go mining and sell the farms to overseas investors.. wonder where the food will go...

20. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Very well said EO! **)

This is a very radical decision, a turning point in the beef industry, a lot of jobs are in the balance and today is a day when I reckon a lot of people are taking a good long hard look at the path they are going to take in life.

I do not condone the cruelty that is going on in Indonesia but I am also looking at the situation on home soil.

This decision, on top of the natural disasters that occurred at the start of the year, and I'm starting to wonder how much more of a kick in the guts do farmers need?

The Tuberculosis and Brucelosis eradication program in the 80s was a massive blow to the industry and I reckon the decision to ban live export will be right up there with that campaign.

As I said, time to start passing the hat around, a lot of families are going to need all the support they can get financially.