Livamol v's groom ???

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Wizzy, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Wizzy

Wizzy New Member

Hi just wanting peoples opinion on which product they is the best have just bought a chestnut and not sure which one to use **)

2. Speedmachine

Speedmachine New Member

I have used both and they are both good but Livamol gives a chestnut that bit depth to his colour, we use it all the time with our TB yearlings and they look terrific.

3. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

We use Livamol on our bay and he looks great.

4. Ponypuppet

Ponypuppet Active Member

I Have used Livamol in the past, which is greatb and the horses all love it :)

But the best thing I have found for getting a great rich shiney coat is Copra, its great for hot headed TB's too Lol.

I have also had Sucsess with calaciv tubes about $8 each I buy mine from ankatell stockfeeds :).

I give 3 over 1 week just before their coat changes between seasons and then once every 4-6 weeks depending on what the horse is being fed and how well it seems to keep its colour.

Have also heard that microwaved pumkin mixed into their feed will help to bring out their colour nicely, but Im yet to find a horse that will actually eat it Lol!!

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Livamol **)**)**)**)**)**)**)

cheers
    Lee

6. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

pumpkin

i feed cooked pumkin by mashing it through my soaked hay cubes and they clean up, thats in with with their normal feed.
    . It helps if they like soaked hay cubes tho, makes for a nice sloppy feed so your horses usually make fairly sloppy poos[ hopefully moving sand along too]';'

7. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Equine Chia all the way.
    This is my boy after 1 month on Equine Chia.
    [​IMG]
    Fat, feral and filthy

8. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

I just put my liver chestnut mare on livamol and sunflower seeds as recommended by her previous owner. Has anyone tried this, what does it actually do to their coat? Im guessing darken it? (hopefully)

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

As long as you feed a balanced diet neither is essential. The horse is usually lacking oils if they aint shiny. So either one shall do, but canola oil will do the job cheaper. Just depends on your budget. :)*

10. nazza

nazza New Member

I have used Groom on a chestnut standy and on my mini's. They did very well on it...but I was told that Goom can cause cloudy urine and create chrystals in their bladder...i didnt have the problem...and was happy with this product. I havent tried Livermol but my opinion it would also be worth a go. Just that Groom is cheaper and most people I have spoken to have also liked it.

11. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

I've used Livamol with some success, but it is quite expensive.

As Caroline said, a good coat comes from within so you should be able to acheive this with a correct diet :)

I feed my Chestnut chaff, copra, equilibrium and he is shiny as shiny can be :D

12. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I fed livamol previously to my 2 big horses who competed regularly. 1 WB and 1 TB. I didn't think it made a huge difference but they did look good. As my horses are paddocked together I have found it tricky to feed to just George who is competing and its way to expensive just to chuck in and go...well I hope he gets it. I really do think it made a difference previously because this year his coat is Yuck! He is shiny but his colour is taking a while to come back after clipping compared to last year it made very little difference.

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I have had my pony on TDI Competition Conditioner (Rice bran/Flax seed (linseed) and vitamin E with lots of added minerals and vitamins) for the past 2 weeks:) I clipped him on wednesday and he is soo dark and really shiny:)*

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  14. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

this is my mare who is on livamol and sunflower seeds :)

[​IMG]

i would reccomend livamol

15. Kell87

Kell87 New Member

Hey everyone I this post is old but some advice..

I've just started feeding livamol to my 9 month old gelding(extremely hairy) and was wondering what dosages your all feeding for good results??
    He's bay and hasn't lost the foal coat yet, underneath his foal/winter wooly hair is a dark brown. He's just starting to shed a tiny bit now so on the livamol to help darken colour and shine etc before he sheds and his true colour comes through (instead of his dull foal coat) I'm only giving him 100g a day or there abouts...

He's a Clydie X so he's already pretty heavy prob around 350-400kgs so not the tiny petite built 9 month old baby haha.

16. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Feed him 1 cup daily as he is a big boy. **)