Linseed oil

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by jacksta, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

Does anyone feed linseed oil? and what do you feed it for?

also, why is linseed oil so much more expensive than other oils? :)

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Crushed/ Boiled Linseed is useful for putting a bloom on their coat.

I don't know why you would feed Linseed Oil - I use it to oil my decking!

3. Petite Pastures

Petite Pastures Well-known Member

Never fed linseed oil, like Nanny I have used it with a mix of turps or kero to treat timber.
    Boiled or crushed linseed is good for coat condition and weight gain.

4. croft

croft Well-known Member

Linseed fed as seeds or oil is one of the best feeds available as it contains high concentrations of the beneficial fatty acids, Linoleic acid,omega 3, and linoleic acid omega 6. Linseed is very good for the health of the digestive tract, ligaments, tendons,the immune system and prevention and treatment of arthritis .( Practical horse herbal by Victoria Ferguson):)

I use both seed and oil.;)

5. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

thanks for that croft. I thought the oil would just be the same as the grain, just in a more concentrated form.

how much do you feed?

6. croft

croft Well-known Member

Your welcome Jacksta 25ml per average 5ookg horse daily.**)

7. Liberte Doo Dah

Liberte Doo Dah Active Member

I swear by Raw Linseed Oil.

Give 25ml a day, straight over their tongue.. my horses love it.. they see the siringe coming a mile away :D

Its great for adding shine to there coats.. and for horses that don't like being drenched it is another option...

8. FjordFan

FjordFan New Member

I feed Instant Linseed which comes in a powder form and its brilliant for putting a shine on coat.

9. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

Just wondering which would be the most cost effective, oil, grain or powder??? And if there is any differance in the results achieved.:confused:mad:)

10. jacksta

jacksta Active Member

i cant speak for the other forms, but i bought some linseed oil from the stockfeeders the other week and it was expensive, $40 for a tub of about 2 litres i think it would be. compared to the other oils (canola etc) which were only about $18 for the same amount.

11. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

What about compared to the grain/powder ??? Anyone got a rough idea. I used to give linseed to my first gelding I had many moons ago, but cost wise I was just wondering which would be more economical.:))

12. Goboki

Goboki New Member

Oils Much Easier

I'm not sure about Perth, but in Brisbane, it works out easier and more economical for me to buy the oil. You can get the oil in 20L drums (Equinade and Value Plus do them) for between $141 and $200 and for 2 horses they last almost a year whereas the grain is between $5 and $10 a kg, which needs to be boiled for about an hour so it is safe to feed and the horses can actually digest it, and they get around 3/4 cup per day. And it needs to be fed straight after cooking. With a 3 month old baby it is so much easier to feed the oil. Not sure on the powder, I've never seen it around here.

13. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

I feed the seeds, not boiled or crushed or anything - mine get them whole :) It is quite safe and I have certainly not had any ill effects in my horses. I have checked their manure too and it appears that it is being digested - all they poo out are the hulls.
    Found this article which I thought was pretty good:

Balanced Equine Nutrition - Linseed, is it safe?

14. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

This is a pretty old thread, I don't think half the people even post on here any more.

However, I feed oil as well as a mixture of French White Millet and Linseeds boiled up to make a porridge. It gets boiled for an hour or whacked in the slow cooker overnight.

It can ferment pretty quickly in warmer weather, but you can avoid that by keeping it in the fridge (where it will keep for a day or so). You do not need to feed Linseed or the Linseed/Millet mix straight after cooking.

Oil is very convenient, however if you do not feed Cold Pressed (not Raw) Linseed oil or store it correctly, it looses most of its properties and sort of defeats the purpose if you are feeding it for it's additional properties.