Lights in Floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Ponies4Me, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Where/how do you have your interior lights inside your floats and pros/cons of such please. Especially interested in feedback from anyone that has roof vents and the light nearby, cheers :)

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I've often thought that LED rope lights would be absolutely brilliant in a float. Run it around the roof line (where roof meets wall) at the front and I reckon it would be fantastic. The rope is a sealed unit thus no problems with dust and water, flexible, no sharp bits for ponies to injure themselves on, easy to install, stuff all power required to run it and no globes to replace.

3. Ponies4Me

Ah funny that you say that GR, the OH has them in the back of his work car (canopy set up for sleeping in). Have already thought of a small strip across the top of the front window and possibly at the back of the float for loading in the dark. Just not sure if they would be to bright for the horses, they really pack a punch in the OH' car, kind of reminds me of a space ship :D

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

So don't get the bright white ones and go for coloured like blue or yellow **)

5. Ponies4Me

LOL could always do red and really get some attention :lol: yellow might be the go.

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I did think of red, they actually use red filters on spotlights for shooting sometimes as animals can't see red or something like that. Not as harsh on their eyes anyway.

There is the other problem of what red lights mean as well though :unsure:

7. Scooby

Scooby New Member

The led strip lighting has options on water proof etc but there is some listed on that bidding site that has dimmer options of 3 different levels,might be helpful.

I was thinking of putting it in my new float when I get it, the other half has it mounted all over our 4wd. Was thinking I would mount it on the rail were the roof and side wall meet but just facing up so the glare isn't towards them but reflecting off the roof, if that makes sense!

My old float I had 2 led lights in it with separate switches, one above their heads for loading and traveling and one direct in front for the tack box, I switched this one off when they were in the float, worked good also.

8. Ponies4Me

Scooby did the one on the front annoy you or the horses?

9. Scooby

Scooby New Member

Not at all, loved it for the fact I could turn which ever one on I wanted. So for traveling I just turned the front one off so it wasn't in there eyes and left the one on directly above them so I could see them while I drove. Or I had the option to turn that off if I wanted to travel in full darkness.

I also had spot lights mounted at the back for loading/reverse lights on another switch, they we great..... I miss my old float! :eek: