Letter from the Chair - wow!

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Nattyh, May 7, 2012.

1. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Hi rbk,
    I have emailed EWA and sent a link to this thread.
    Hopefully I will get a response ';'

I will certainly put it up here if I do.

I have been wondering if the other threads about this might get sent to the EWA as well? I hope they do.

Cheers

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

But that is just it sil, HAVE they realized their mistakes???
    where is their apology????
    where are they actually addressing THEIR mistakes ???
    where are they actually listening to THEIR members ???
    all i have read is what you get for membership which does NOT include them lifting one finger!!!!!
    90% of their memberships get more benefits from adult riding clubs or pony clubs competitions levels, so 90% would not gain anything to the EA structure of membership. The EA NEED to realize this !!!!!!!
    90% of riders DO NOT strive to ride at the Olympics, they strive to be the best that they can be.
    They need to support WA riders not make it impossible for them to ride.

If they actually realized their mistakes and apologies-ed to all past and present members and said they are putting a supportive structure together to ensure this does not happen again, but need every ones help, then a lot of people would be prepared to support them.

words are cheap, actions are priceless

3. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Yes, yes, yes, Smash. :))
    Thank you.

4. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i emailed a really long email of feedback AND suggestions and fundraiser ideas etc etc

and got-

NO RESPONSE! ha why am i suprised??? dont even know why i bothered to waste my time...

its been what- a week since i sent it....at least...

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Obviously you are on a black list EC since the rest of us got personal responses from the Chairman LOL

6. sil

sil Gold Member

If words are cheap then why need an apology? If we were 'right' great, but it's more important to get it resolved isn't it?

I'm not an apologiser myself, I'd rather say we need to do things better and then look for ways to make it happen. I read that letter in the same vein.

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

yes it is important to get issues resolved sil, it is just the EA dont understand that it is THEIR issues that THEY need to resolve, INSTEAD of getting you all to sign up and "save" them only to find out you have the same problems that made you leave in the first place (too expensive and you gain no benefits).

The bottom line is they are wanting YOUR money to FIX their spending issues.
    You are being asked to "save" the SEC, with your membership monies, yet will they drop the prices so other clubs can hire it out ?

The whole problem with the SEC is no one can afford to hire it, If a club can afford it, they have to charge high fees to cover that cost, but people just can not afford those high entry fees so dont go (no win situation), so clubs find a BETTER solution so they can ENCOURAGE people to attend and make a small profit to go towards the next show, the hiring of the SEC does nothing to encourage or support clubs hiring its venue.

So all the "new membership" in the world is not going to fix THEIR ISSUES, the EA need to FIRST address THEIR problems so that NEW MEMBERSHIP can make a difference !!!!!

otherwise when it is membership renewal time again, we will get all these threads complaining about the high membership fees and the use of some run down venue, that they can not afford to use.

8. rbk

rbk Active Member

I am agreeing with smash here. as a longer standing member (my membership number - of which i still havent had a 2012 member card issued - is in the numbers well below 850 )

WHY am i being asked to SAVE the sec?

What will it mean to me if it is funded, managed, up kept by a department that
    I DONT HAVE TO SUBSIDIZE thru my memebership fees. I already pay enough taxes... pretty sure if i played basketball or cricket the govt would assist...

WHY do I need to go clean the chairs and de-cobweb the venue that I do not utilize on a regular basis due to it being cost prohibitive to hold events there?

GIVE me reasons WHY I should fight to SAVE the SEC - and WHAT or WHO am I saving it from?????? A better way to manage upkeep and run it??????

There has been many offers to the SEC - ie - the turf from ascot racecourse (declined and given free to another venue) which as a valued member I have not been asked to vote on.

SO - go on, motivate me.

Convince me - the average member Why should I do these things???

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Hi guys, just to let you know I have received a reply from the EWA -although I don't really undertand why the Chairman of the Board initially wrote to us but the CEO is the one responding ';'
    Anyway, I shall advise him in writing tomorrow that I will post his reply on this thread- just as a courtesy. Although I am fairly confident from the reply, that he is expecting it to be posted here. :))

Cheers

10. rbk

rbk Active Member

I keenly and respectfully await his reply.
    I have many responses to the Call For Help that have been unanswered and I am hoping that the response will quell my fears and reinstate my beliefs.

11. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

If we perform this miracle and save the SEC then what ??? Are we stuck with the same old faces who have brought this situation about or is there to be a long term change ???
    We need a positive realistic plan that does not involve taking more money off the dwindling membership base. If hanging onto the SEC means raising memberships again it is not viable and the SEC will go.
    Like many other people I cannot understand how the situation got this bad but I am aware that the situation cannot continue.
    No point all of us whinging because the truth is that by no going to meetings etc we have allowed this situation to come about - Me included !!!

12. rbk

rbk Active Member

Agree with you here Brew - WHY am I fighting to save it - and WHAT is the long term strategic plan to maintain the change?

ALL of us are time poor these days - so we all volunteer a few hours, de cob web, clean, have a car boot sale - whatever but .... HOW is this sustainable long term ?

WHAT is the EA (WA) NOT doing to attract and maintain membership and support, that the other states, clubs, etc etc are doing?

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot New Member

I'm afraid the grass roots members have been neglected for some time now and I think the drop off in membership indicates they feel other organisations/clubs have something better to offer.

14. Banjo01

Banjo01 New Member

Not sure if this is the right place to ask it but since it is on the same topic..
    I was hoping to join EWA next year, but reading these posts has caused me to question the value of spending money in joining it.. is it worth joining here in WA?
    I am 18 so would be classed as young rider (correct me if wrong), and have not as yet checked those prices but is it even worth considering? I have definitely heard that EA is the 'path way to the Olympics' but I am reluctant to join for the sake of wasting my money on something that will not reward nor encourage my to-be-launched career.. :confused:

15. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

That is the large question Banjo I think the EWA really need to answer!!

Why should you join?

I only join because I endeavour to compete offically. If I didn't no way I'd fork out the $420.
    To add something that may be a little hard to swallow for many (and I have no idea of your abilty Banjo this is a generalisation) If your not looking like you are ready to compete offically by 18 you are probably not headed for the Olympics. Nothing wrong with that most of us are not! Perhaps this is what the EWA has forgotton.

As a country person I never get to use the SEC.

So come on EWA why should we join? give us more reasons than saving your arse.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  16. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Just a suggestion, but if they want more people to enter and attend events held at SEC, perhaps they should add a calendar of events on the SEC website! Links to entry forms and programmes would be nice too.

An upgrade for the EWA calendar would be helpful as well, make it more like the one on the 'other site' that starts with a C. That one is easy to find and navigate. I like that you can scroll through and see at a glance a bit of information on each event/clinic/whatever. Then click on a link to get more info or go straight to the programme. The current EWA calendar has the title of the event in teeny tiny writing often with part of the name cut off so they can fit more events in the little date square, doesn't say whether it's open or a club event. Then you click on it to go to a dodgy old page with some basic info about the event, and maybe if you're lucky a link to the organiser's website. Then you have to go through their website to find info and programme. Total hassle.

Also, I was looking for the PCAWA dressage series training days and none of them are on the EWA calendar. Nice one.

E.T.A. I can't believe they spent all that money on the changeover of branding and logos etc from EFAWA to EWA and made all the changes to the website and didn't bother upgrading the calendar from that 10yo format.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  17. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Maybe the PCAWA days are not on the EWA website calendar because they are not EWA affiliated - only affiliated clubs can use the website to distribute information.

18. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

On the PCAWA website it lists the SEC as their address. There's loads of other PC stuff on EWA calendar, events and rallys that don't happen at SEC. It was probably just due to 'administrative error' that it they were left off. :}

19. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I don't know Nicki. PCAWA do operate out of the SEC but I was under the impression there was some sort of "historic" arrangement as to how this came about - as far as I am aware they are not actually part of EWA (and I am not sure what sort of fees are paid to the SEC).

Many of the individual Pony clubs are affiliated with EWA as they run "official" events (e.g. Serpentine, Gidge) so they advertise on the EWA calendar but I am not sure about other PC stuff.

20. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

But if it's an event or series of events that are being held at the SEC, surely they would (or should) put them on the calendar, since this is apparently the only calendar for the SEC?