Left or right angle?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Pferdmann, May 13, 2012.

1. Pferdmann

Pferdmann New Member

Hi all

I am thinking about getting a new angle load float built and was asked a question by one of the manufacturers the other day: Which way would you like the horses to face? Left or right?
    That got me thinking, i hear a lot of complaints from people with angle load trailers about their horses facing the wrong way when traveling, saying we copied the American way of horses facing to the left of the trailer which in Australia is the closest side to the gutter so its off camber and usually pointing down hill. so i was thinking is there any real advantage to them facing to the right? Wouldn't it make more loading difficult as you would be on the wrong side of the horse?

Anyone got a right facing angle load trailer? do you have any problems with loading?

Thanks
    Pferdmann

2. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Hi, I have a triple angle (to the left, so based on US model).
    I wouldn't want their heads stuck in the traffic so i'm pretty happy that they face the curb side.
    I don't have a problem with the camber ';'
    Cbeers

3. We had a 4 angle load to the right with 2 ramps (on the side and the back). It was easy to load and unload from the side one. Now we have a double angle to the left. I am with Nattyh, and happy with it.

4. pso

pso Gold Member

I dont have one- But I'd go right angled if there was a choice ;)

5. Pferdmann

Pferdmann New Member

Thanks for your replies
    We have only left angles at work and have had no problems was just curious to find out if there are many positives to having them pointing the opposite way.

thanks again
    Pferdmann

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

If you go right angled, the weight of the horses are predominantly on the kerb side of the float, and their head is on the traffic side.

Our gooseneck is left angled and this means the horses weight is more to the middle of the road and their heads away from the traffic (we always travel with the windows open as it gets hot inside and when trucks pass it makes a hell of a racket, Id hate to think what it would be like for them with their heads right up next to that!). Ive never noticed them standing 'downhill' due to the crown (not technically a camber ;) ) of the road and yes I have travelled inside the gooseneck a few times. The crown on the road is usually only slight, to me that is not a deal breaker.

So generally I would prefer a left angle.

As an aside, a camber is the slight angling of the whole width of the road as it rounds a bend, a crown is when the road is built slightly higher in the centre (on the white lines) and going slightly lower towards the edges of the road to allow the road to shed water to the outside instead of puddling. All roads will have a crown of some degree, but not all roads will have a camber on each bend.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. Pferdmann

Pferdmann New Member

Thanks for that
    My main concern was loading them as i fear it could be awkward being on the horses right instead of the left when closing dividers etc. but i never really considered their heads being closest to the traffic.

also you are correct i have got crown and camber mixed up whoops :eek:

8. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

I prefer left because as kiraspark said they 1) won't be facing as much traffic so not as many scarys and 2) majority of their weight is carried on the right. I was always taught that if your floating a double with one horse to load on the drivers side or with 2 to load the heaviest horse on the drivers because more weight on that side helps hold the float on the road. If you put all the weight on the passenger side you're weighting down the float off the road if that makes sense. My boss ( trainer) also does this for the same reason and we both find floating is a lot easier this way and you can really feel the difference. Any angle we've used has always been to the left for same reasons.