leaning horse

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by plbk, Oct 13, 2012.

1. plbk

plbk New Member

A few days ago our mare leant her rear end against a gate post and pushed back into it. She isnt rubbing, she just backs up to it positions her bum and then leans back and exerts force. Two nights ago she did the same thing against the side of her yard that runs off her stable...only problem is that the wall in question is also the wall of a tack shed, she is also kicking out at this wall. She is not in season, not wormy, but has just started this behaviour a couple of days ago. I am completely baffled as nothing in her routine has changed, her manners are still the same. I thought the kicking was flies so she is drowned in fly repellent, but did the same thing last night. I have given a few hundred $ to the agistment owners and we will put up rails against that wall and hang rubber, but just wondering if any others could offer some suggestions as to why she has suddenly started this night time destruction. She does have hay all night, a Likit, an empty stable next door cos she likes her own space...any ideas???

2. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

have her girly insides scanned...last time we had something like this was big cysts.

3. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

Give her teats a good clean too. My mare acts like a tool when her boobies are itchy :p

4. Ponypuppet

Ponypuppet Active Member

Are you sure she's not wormy? Even the best worming program can miss a resistant strain of worms. I would be looking at getting some bloods, they will show if she has worms, plus any nutritional imbalances that may have set her off.

5. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

can u not run hot tape around the rails and shed bit??

6. plbk

plbk New Member

Beaudacious, her teats are a little enlarged than normal so maybe they are sore.We were even starting to wonder if she was having a phantom pregnancy lol
    Ponypuppet, yep we have run hot tape round as a temporary measure before the heavy rails go in.
    Its just very puzzling.....but really appreciate all your thoughts.:)*

7. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

i would leave them there as perminant. less chance of wrecking rugs etc

8. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

I think it would be better off finding the source of the problem and fixing it, rather than just preventing the unwanted behaviour. It's a bit like windsucking collar, they stop horses windsucking but the don't take the initial cause away so the problem is never fixed.

I think finding out what the cause of the problems is, for the sake of the horse's health, is a bit more important than worrying about ripped rugs :)

9. plbk

plbk New Member

thats why I posted here Horse girl jess, I really want to get to the bottom of the behaviour...it just started out of the blue and I cant work out why. Vet appointment next week! No rugs have been ripped in the making of the movie LOL...But I am glad she hasnt ripped herself.

10. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Here's hoping the vet will work it out :)