Leaking urine

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Bruce the Goose, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

My new horse seems to leak urine for a while before peeing.

He is a 12 year old quarter x, in good health. He drinks about 80 litres during the day but only about 10-15 overnight.

I have noticed a few times whilst riding that he leaks urine when he needs to pee, he won't stop working or do anything noticeable to tell you he needs to pee just leaks, when you hope off he continues to leak for while before peeing. This morning he was laying down when I went to feed and I noticed that there was a small wet spot when he hopped up, he peed shortly after getting up.

Not sure if there could be anything wrong. Has any one had this problem with a horse before.

Cheers Tracey

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

actually santanns gelding does that sometimes before and after he urinates. vet looked at him if i rember correctly and there was nothing wrong (as in infections) most likely the muscles that keep the bladder closed dont work as well and let it leak/

3. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I had a lady in at work the other day and her horse did the same thing it is actually a condition but for the life of me i can't remember what it was clalled perhaps give the vet a call and ask them about it....or it could be something very simple, but when i saw your thread i thought i would mention it...**)

4. Feuer

Feuer Guest

Tracey...I would phone our local vet about that one...just in case.

I would also just have a good lok around the area, maybe give it a good clean with warm salty water just in case he isnt comfortable there.

5. Bruce the Goose

Hi Feuer I will double check the area tonight but from memory he is normally clean in the area.

Will call into vets on way home and check with them to make sure it isn't anything to worry about. He doesn't seem in pain or anything when he goes, but he does pee more than my other boy, more often and more in amount. But he does drink more aswell.

Cheers Tracey

6. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

you also have to be careful you dont keep his thing to clean because then the good bacteria gets washed away as well

7. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

And that is a whole new thread.............personally I have never cleaned my geldings:eek:

8. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Have heard of that prob before, also a gelding. Even the farrier wished for a raincoat lol. Horse was taken to murdoch, they couln't find anything wrong with him. :) But would ask your vet, just incase your horse has a different prob. :)

9. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I never clean it either, my vet told me they do it naturally when they walk about in the paddock....

10. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

Yep, ive been told the exact same thing Maree4 **)

11. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

yes, Ben had this problem, he was taken to Murdoch and we did everything to help him, even putting iodine in 20L of water for him to drink, all to no avail, and yes he used to pee on the farrier too :D

12. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

My gelding used to leak a lot aswell and I had the vet look at him and he had a bladder infection he was put on antibiotic powders for a while and the problem got better but never went away.
    About six weeks later my horse had mild colic and this was due to the bladder infection that he had it flared up again.
    He was put on some stronger antibiotic's again but for a longer period and he is ok now.
    He had a ultra sound and they also had a feel inside and also put a camera up there to see that there wernt any nasties and all seems well.
    I feed KA powder which is a diretic,electrolytes (sp) and if he is worked and he gets a good sweat up I give him some Recharge.

13. Feuer

Feuer Guest

Regarding the cleaning...I have heard that they should be cleaned every now and then. My old tb used to get so filthy and yukky down there, he had to be cleaned as the buildup of wax used to look unsightly.
    I would only use warm salty water, that is not going to hurt I am sure! :)*
    Oh and a nice soft sponge (and gloves!!!)

14. Bruce the Goose

Spoke to vet nurse, suggested having a look to make sure nothing upsetting him in the area but unfortunately he got stage fright last night, so couldn't see much. Does seem quite clean from what I could see, especially compared to my other boy who quite enjoyed a clean last night :)

Left message for vet to see if anything else they can think of that may be causing it.

15. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

My hubbie thinks I spend too much time with him now lol imagine if I start sponging him*#)

16. Horsetalk

Lol, not every gelding likes to be sponged there, so watch your heads. ;)

17. Feuer

Feuer Guest

haha....my ole tb gelding used to enjoy it once encouraged to drop it :)*
    I used to rub above his flank and massag that area...and he would drop within a few minutes.

Haven tried cleaning my new boy yet though *#)

18. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Keep us undated on the urine case, I'm very interested to see what the vet says.

19. Bruce the Goose

Vet wants a urine sample to test.

My neighbours think I am weird enough already, now I have to hang around under my horse with a jar, ha ha.

Will let you know what results are once I get a sample.

cheers Tracey

20. Horsetalk

Hope you have a tiny bit of spare time to catch the sample lol. Good luck :)