Laying a horse down

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Dream Merchant, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Dream Merchant

Dream Merchant Active Member

So after someone was talking about how they have taught their colt to lay down, I was interested to do some online Google/You Tube "research" about the benefits & disadvantages of teaching a horse to lay down. Thought I'd reach out on Stockies since I haven't been on here in forever and see what people thought of it.

I did see a VERY interesting video where the trainer was mentioning that people often use this as a 'trick', and should only be used as a training tool in the right hands when dealing with an aggressive/extremely disrespectful horse.

Everything said was interesting, there were a lot of pro's and con's mentioned.

What are your thoughts? Cool party trick? Or should it only be used as a training tool in experienced hands?

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

It is not a cool party trick, and it should only be used by very experienced horse trainers!! Things can very easily go wrong and the horse &/or handler get seriously hurt. You really need to know what you are doing and why! :}

3. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

I guess it COULD be a cool party trick, but you would still need to know what you were doing to achieve it!

About a year or two ago I got a magazine which had step by step instructions on how to teach your horse to bow... cool, I'll teach my daughters pony how to bow! Well, I followed the steps and lo and behold... I taught my pony to lay down :unsure:*#) :confused:I have my friend trim his feet for me sometimes and she is not too impressed with this trick as he now lies down randomly when she's doing his front feet... little toad!

Anyway, nothing real relevant to that story really, probably just pointing out that if you don't know what you are doing things won't always turn out as you would like :eek:

4. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Black Ice I used to agist with a girl who's pony would lay down during a hoof trim. The Farrier ( a new one who was as old as the hills ) just tied the pony's legs together and kept on trimming. He rolled the pony on to it's back and did the rest of the trim that way. I dont know who was more shocked, the owner or the pony. The pony never did it again. The old farrier was an excellent old horseman, never said very much and nothing seemed to phase him.

5. Shannon

Shannon Well-known Member

I have taught a variety of horses and a donkey to lay done, the way I do it isn't a cool party trick, I do it I gain respect and I show the kids I mentor a different way of doing stuff. The youngest horse I taught was a 6 month old colt who was very colty and didn't respect his owners so I taught him then got her to do it wih him and the respect from then on he had for her was much better, they also had a better bond. I've taught my mini stallion to do it and it was a fight to get him to, I find the stallions and dominant type mares are always harder as when they are laying down they are in a very vunerable position for preditors.

I'm taught by an old stock man and use ropes I know not everyone agrees with these methods but I've never been hurt my horses have never been hurt and they all have gained from laying down.

:)