Latte's thread...

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Shandeh, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

And yet, with all this depth and wealth of wisdom at your finger tips, for months now, the same type posts come up with the type problems.
    No, you absolutely do not have to take ANY notice of the consistent advice given to you.

Or are you one of these people that just keep asking the same questions until you hear the answers that you want to hear?

You lay your life out on a public forum and are then shocked cause no one knows how much you know? No one has walked a mile in your shoes?
    People criticize what they don't understand?

You're right.

I DON'T understand. I only see what I read as posted by both you and your daughter.

...and I do not think that the horse is getting the best deal here.

2. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

i dont understand how you can afford to buy a 4WD yet you cant afford 30-50$$ a week or fortnight for lessons????

that part just has me lost :eek::eek:

I have a weekly budget for my horse and my first two priorities are agistment and a lesson. they are the 2 basic staples i draw money out of my account for every week.

I have paid for pretty much every lesson ive ever had since i was 14years old as i really dont see a point in having a horse, paying for tack, farrier, agistment etc and not having lessons??? ESPECIALLY if youre having troubles?

not meant to be a dig sugars mum/shandeh but getting rid of the horse and practising on another is not going to solve anything if shes not getting quality instruction meanwhile.

3. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

:)) Christ, THANK GOD someone said it.
    You continuously ask for advice on this forum and you never ever take it.
    Gahhhh! Just stop asking for advice than if you don't wana hear answers which don't suit what you want to hear!
    Its rediculous!
    I really hope for Lattes sake you guys get a reality check sooner rather than later #(

I don't get why anyone even bothers commenting, its like talking (typing) to a wall!

4. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

i dont mean to come across mean sugars mum/shandeh but im just saying from where i stand i cant understand how you cant afford to have a correctly fitted saddle & to have lessons but you can afford a 4WD and a new pony?

as minniup road has said my first priorities my cash goes too are agistment & weekly lessons, you're right sugars mum i DONT undertand but maybe our priorities for our horses are very different ...

5. Kateee

Kateee Guest

Hi Shandeh,
    First of all *hugs* for you.I know what position you are in.
    I have an off the track standardbred mare, and as soon as you would put a bit in her mouth, the head tossing, grinding, threatening to rear etc. would happen.So now, plain and simple, we have gone bitless.
    Nobit Bridles-Australian Bitless Bridles Equestrian Horse Products
    Horses are much much calmer in them,and they are stronger then a bit.
    Just a thought.
    I am sorry to see all these attacks coming towards you, it's not fair.
    I got mouthfuls on my post, just because I enjoyed my weekend and posted about it. (Parelli.)
    And i know that most people on here do not like parelli, but i find it a nice way to bond with a horse, and for them to get respect for you.
    I really hope you and your horse work out! :)
    Just another thing, people on here who are much much wiser and mature are giving you advice, and i think you should listen to it.

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Have you never done business research? I am researching what would be a great vehicle to tow with. I am doing cert IV in business management hoping to get a business up off the ground so I can afford lessons. Which would mean in a very short time span I will be gettign a loan from teh bank to find it. The car being capable of makign the money for the riding lessons. In the meantime Shandeh has pocket money that she can save for lessons but she chooses to spend it on other things.

Because someone makes a different choice to you does not mean they are an idiot. You have no idea what goes on in my life and cannot make an accurate judgement of mental capacity based on a persons posts on the internet. You are taking posts made months ago and assuming they are still relevant.

Horses have saddles that fit (It takes time to find the right saddle when money is tight)
    Horse has seen a massage practitioner
    Child has had years of lessons all up from experienced teachers

I am not sorry that I choose to prioritise my child over making enough money to be able to afford to get lessons every week on top of the cost of owning a horse. Shandeh was given the choice of putting up with me as a teacher and getting her own horse or having private lessons. She choose the horse. So now she has to choose to get her aggression under control if she is ever gogin to ride him again. In the meantime she rides a pony that earns the money that keeps him.

Changing a childs personality and reactive behaviour is something that takes time. It's not fixed in the reading of a post off the internet or in a few lessons from the best instructor in the world.

And Tilda I am not judging you at all for wanting to break your horse into harness. It is excellent fun as I know well from years of driving and breaking in three horses to harness. But I could as easily turn around and call you an idiot if you did not immediately go out and get driving lessons every week for the next several years. After all it's only what you have done to me.

Instead I hope you get a chance to have your boy broken to harness and go out and have excellent fun learning the pros and cos or driving. It's a great sport but very different from riding.

7. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I don't think anyone here really cares what you spend money on, the problem is that the horse sounds miserable. This is a horse forum, people are going to get narky if they hear about a horse being potentially badly treated.
    If the original post had been about how well the horse was going etc, then no one would have even suggested lessons. But clearly you guys have a problem, and with horses the best way to deal with problems is to get help. Some things you can't just work out on your own.

8. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

:} Exactly.
    Can shandeh not get a part time job? one shift a week would be enough to pay for a weekly riding lesson.

9. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I guess I am old fashioned (and I don't have kids, well not two legged ones anyway :)) but if I did have kids they probably wouldn't get a horse until they could take all the responsibility for it. I know I am probably in the minority otherwise Pony clubs would go out of business.

"I am not sorry that I choose to prioritise my child over making enough money to be able to afford to get lessons every week on top of the cost of owning a horse. Shandeh was given the choice of putting up with me as a teacher and getting her own horse or having private lessons. She choose the horse" -

I am not sure she should have been given that choice but that is your decision and only you know what is best for your child.

I wanted a horse from ever since I could remember ... I didn't get a horse until I was in my 20's after I paid for myself to have many lessons and finally bought my own horse (a lovely old quiet boy who put up with my lack of experience). At the time I thought my parents were mean but now I thank them for it. I see the way many kids treat their horses and their parents at pony club & competitions and it just blows me away!!!

10. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

I know!!! It astounds me the way some parents let there children talk to them, the teenage generation at the moment has absolutely NO respect for anything or anyone!! There is of course the odd exception and some well mannered children that have been dragged up the right way.

No matter how much anyone thinks they may know lessons are a huge benefit to anyone. If someone cant afford lessons the 30-50 a week then dont own a horse till you can.

11. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I've always had to pay for my the horses myself.. i manage to pay for pony club and shows and lessons **)
    Mum isn't horsey at all. I'm lucky i have friends who take me to shows and constantly help me out :))
    I show nearly every weekend.. shows mums ever been to.. 2.. :}

12. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I commend that Lauren because I am sure you appreciate more the "privilege" it is to own a horse.

I am not saying no kids should be allowed horses (that would be ridiculous) but they do need to fully understand it is a privilege not a right.

13. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Haha yes.. a privilege i work my butt off for *#) but it's worth it ;) most days LMAO

14. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

at the moment it doesnt look like theres anyone in my area anyway but hypothetically if there was i would have him broken by a professional and then have weekly lessons for over a period of years no question about it, the quality of my horses training & education is my no. 1 priority

im honestly not calling you names im just trying to say obviously we have very different priorities as my first is lessons as i feel thats the most beneficial for me & my horse, if i miss out on other things so be it, is it possible for shandeh to get a stablehand job in exchange for lessons or just a casual job where she'll be able to pay for her own lessons i just feel that would be the best way for her riding to improve :)

its good that youre going to be working with latte now, hopefully he'll become alot more balanced & settled with you riding him

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  15. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

I think we all have to remember that Shandah has other issues going on as well as dealing with a young green horse. She has obviously made the good decision to hand over Latte to her mother until she is experience and calm enough to ride him.

This new pony sounds like a great learning horse and she will probably learn heaps, if she listens to her mother. It wont be easy for her mum to teach, but I assume it would be difficult for any instructor with a teenager :p I would volunteer to give you a few tips if I lived closer. Think of back to your first pony - did you do a few things you know see were wrong? I certainly did (and I still feel guilty over it!)

If Sugars Mum see's its best for shandah to have lessons from her self, then she knows what is best for her daughter. None of us are in her shoes. Im sure if Shandah continues pony club and gets an occasional lesson here and there from other instructors, she will come along in leaps and bounds (not litrally I hope!)

I think here the main thing to remember is, that they ARE seeing what the forums ideas are and from there chosing which to use and what doesnt suit them.

I send you all the luck in continuing Latte's and Shandah's education :)

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Thanks Gem Gem I appreciate you support.

17. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

Sorry sugars mum, i wasnt judging, i just find it all a little hard to understand, it kinda doesnt make sense :eek:

so if shandeh has anger issues why on earth does she have a green OTTSB??

If my mum ever saw me getting angry at my horse out of frustration there is no doubt in my mind she would put my horse on my float, tie me up with the halter and lead rope to a hitching rail and leave me there. *#)*#) (it would be quite entertaining watching her put pony on float though-non horsey mums are funny)

18. Shiralee

Shiralee Well-known Member

walking a mile in some one elses shoes is good for the soul

19. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have answered MR in a PM

20. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

:mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

Closing this thread now - enough is enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.