Latte's thread...

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Shandeh, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

im glad your thinking of rehoming latte because although this must seem blunt every thread posted by shandeh the same advice is given- get lessons, dont blame the horse, get saddle fitted, further training, etc. yet nothing has gotten better unfortunately worse :eek:
    ...to hear from his previous owner (gaia) & she said back when shandeh originally bought him to have latte re-mouthed and didnt happen just seems plain dangerous in my eyes

unfortunately green horse green rider dont go together and sometimes you have to learn the hard way hopefully you'll be able to find a great home for latte where a patient, more experienced rider can further his education :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Sad to hear the news that you're selling him but it is indeed the best way for it. I'm sure you'll find someone that suits him.

Hope you find something soon and I think what you need is a slow, experienced allrounder. Don't make the green + green mistake again.

Hope everything works out.

3. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

I agree with what has been said here, but i was a "green rider" (hadn't ridden for 10 years) when i got my green-broke horse and we have a great connection.
    In the beginning we had our issues (i was regularly so frustrated by her behavior i would cry for 20mins in the middle of the paddock), but i worked through my problems.
    My BIGGEST thing to get over was to be a leader in ALL situations. And self confidence is something that most teenagers lack, i was certainly no different.
    Once Blondie could feel that i was confident and i wasn't going to let her get away with all sorts of sh** she respected me more, and our relationship got better.
    She used to shy at things, bolt, not stand for mounting etc etc. But when i got firm and confident she shaped up.
    You need not necessarily give up on latte... i didn't give up on Blondie.:D
    But best of luck no matter what! Us people in the southwest need some luck :)*

4. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Not giving up on the horse might make the rider feel better, I doubt the horse would enjoy the process much though given how things have been going.
    For every story of a green rider and horse working out, there are probably 10 stories of frustration, injury and a very upset and miserable horse.
    Horses are not there to soothe our egos, owning one is a priviledge not a right. A quick tempered and easily frustrated teenager might not be a good match for ANY horse until she learns more skills and how to control her emotions.
    I think the best course of action is to sell the current horse and make your daughter get at least one years worth of weekly lessons before even considering purchasing her another horse.
    IMO unless you can walk, trot, canter and jump small fences confidently on a variety of reasonably easygoing horses (like riding school horses), you probably should hold off on actually owning one - but this opinion seems more and more old fashioned these days.

5. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

Call me old fashioned too then @) :p

6. Humph call YOU old fashioned?? My old instructor wouldn't even let me ride a horse wearing a bridle on my own until I could trot bareback in the roundyard with both hands staying on my hips! If I lost balance to hold on, more and more practise till I could do it perfectly. My legs ached for months.

7. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Thanks, Nickelodeon :)
    Ouch Merrylegs >.<
    Less extreme but we used to have to do 5 laps of the paddock standing in our stirrups (for lower leg stability) and then 5 laps rising trot without stirrups (for...pain, as far as we could work out :D) before the lesson even started. It definitely helped with the stickability.

8. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

youch merrylegs x.x I can just barely rising trot bareback down the long side of our 'arena', and with my saddle, minus stirrups, it's even harder. This is on Edward, mind, there's no way I'd get trot bareback on a horse for a while yet (and wouldn't even try on Sugar with that massive wither O.O; ). That said I can two-point bareback about 50 metres before it kills my thighs, so you'd think I'd be able to rise for longer, but nope...

keridwyn that's what I need to do I think. Latte scared me once by bolting because he'd gotten a genuine fright and from then on my leadership was out the window because I was terrified he was going to do it again.

I said to Mum today that I would put up with anything if it meant I could keep Latte, including only doing groundwork and not getting on his back until I have enough control of my temper and knowledge of myself to know when to just stop and do something easy so as to finish on a good note, and having to watch Mum ride him and not be able to ride him myself.

So now Latte is Mum's horse and she has control over what happens with him which means that she can still choose to sell him if she wants, but she's agreed to give us just one last chance provided I don't get unbearable about not being able to ride him or really fly off the handle at Sugar or Edward.

I get that some of you won't agree with us trying one more time but Latte is really important to me and if he and I can get our confidence in each other back then I think we could really work well together - we did before he scared me, so I think we can again. So... Lots of groundwork, watching of Monty Roberts and Parelli and other such videos, and learning to know myself are ahead.

As long as it takes to work back up gently, I don't care, I'll do it - and meanwhile, if I get bored with the slow easy stuff, I can jump on Edward or Sugar and do something more challenging and fun.

As always, valid advice from everyone. I think the problems arose from me wanting to go too far too fast on a horse that needs to be taken more slowly. I've learned my lesson from that and will do my very best not to let it happen again - and the same goes for every mistake I've made, not just with Latte but with Sugar and even Edward.

9. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Well done Shandeh - it's tough for ANYONE to admit they have made mistakes with horses - but we've ALL done it! They are forgiving creatures. I wish you luck - and patience!

10. Shandeh

Thanks Anna E :)

I've been doing groundwork with him at walk halt and backwards lol and just yesterday did a tiny bit of trot work. I think I might work with him on turning off the direction of my shoulders today, or else just spend time with him grooming and playing with his feet, ears, tail etc etc... Not sure which, maybe both would be good.

Hopefully in not too long I'll be back on board. Meanwhile I need to remember not to use my crop if I can avoid it.

And now I'd better get off the computer so I can get out to the paddock and do the aforementioned work!!

11. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

there will be no riding him until you have proven your temper is under control. So as you know it's going to take a long time and a lot of riding before you are back on Latte.

12. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

Ouch Merrylegs! I try to do some stirrupless work once a week, but haveb't for a while, you eminded me and after one lap of the arena my legs were killing me, but i did another few laps and my position improved.

Good on you Shandeh. You obviously realise it'll be hard and slow but if you stick to it then you've got a shot. Lucky you have a mum able to keep tabs on it all and keep Latte in work. I wish I had that sometimes. And it will improve you as a rider if your temper is calmed and your softer etc. Good luck! Have some fun with the ground work/grooming.

13. Perhaps not even carry one? I don't regardless of what I am riding, they just get in the way.

14. Shandeh

Easy to say that when you're not on a slug... But both Edward and Latte need the gearshift or else my legs die trying to keep them moving. I don't necessarily have to use it, as long as it's there. Therefore, I carry it to save my legs. It's not a standard thing I apply to every horse, just the ones that need it. I just need to remember to use it as an aid not for discipline, and until I have that one hundred percent I won't get on a horse that can't handle being smacked (ie Latte) while carrying it. I'm thinking Mum would agree that it's probably better to not get on him at all until I have complete control of my temper.

Thanks Cavalletti. Latte is one of those once-in-a-lifetime horses that you can pick up for next to nothing but that has the potential to go to the top in whatever discipline he puts his mind to (except perhaps official hacking, because of the scars on his knees). He's just the sweetest horse. I just need to go back to the beginning and learn to trust him again, and I know it'll take a long time and a lot of effort, but for such an amazing horse, it's a small price to pay.

15. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

agreed!

well then i definately think you shouldnt be using a crop considering your using it when you cant control your temper, which isnt fair on latte, it doesnt matter how "slugish" a horse is, you should be able to ride without aritficial aids, theyre used for refining skills/movements, not as a punishing tool #(

16. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Definitely agree with only doing groundwork for the time being, I know I won't ride if I'm in a bad mood because generally my horse will pick up on it and it's not a good ride. Plus it's not fair for my horse to suffer because of my bad mood

17. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

There are ways you can train a horse to be more reactive off your leg. My daughters pony was sluggish and almost dead to the leg when we got him but one lesson with a very good instructor fixed that up, without using a whip.

18. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

if you insist on carrying a whip (which personally unless you fix your temper you shouldn't!) then instead of a crop carry a dressage whip.

It's far too easy to overuse a crop, because it's there and it's so easy to just give a tap on the shoulder. If you carry a dressage whip you generally don't even need to touch the horse with it to get them going.

I always ride my mare with a dressage whip, she's not a slug but I like to keep her super responsive to keep our aids really quiet. I can't remember the last time I even touched her with it though, ocassionally if she is slow you give a little flick but it doesn't touch her...

Once you have your groundwork sorted and your mum feels you are ready to ride, you should not have hold of Lattes mouth at all, get your mum to lunge you and work on slowing him by using your body, voice and breathing out. When you are calm so is your horse. Actually that's another thing you can work on handling him, BREATHE!!! breathe in and out really slowly and think about it everytime you breathe. Your horse will reflect on this. When you get an adrenaline rush from your horse doing something that scares you, you tend to breathe quickly and your heart rate sky rockets....

19. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Excellent advice Bon thank you :)

20. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

no probs, with my 2 year old who throws some big curve balls my way, I seriously need to actively think RELAX RELAX RELAX. Everytime I get tense she goes up, so I breathe in and out and just don't react as if I'm shi**ing myself. If she senses I'm scared she plays up, if I just put on a confident front and convince myself I'm confident, puff my chest out BREATHE and get on with the job, she gets the message...bloody handy thing that respiratory system *#):D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.