Latest HENDRA death

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Sharaway, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Thinking of you Nikki aka Feather Feet, this one is a bit to close to you and Tyson for comfort take care.

2. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

Agreed thinking of you both stay safe!!

3. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

sooo not good :(

4. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

All the best FF!!

I'm worried and the case is a few hours from us so I can't imagine how you're feeling!!

Fingers crossed this is not widespread.

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Really, where this individual case is it not a consideration on how aware you need to be.

Thinking of all the East Coast horsey people at this time!

6. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Mmm not good, but at least it isnt EI again!

7. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

No Cav, it isn't EI... this one is actual fatal to humans! And the majority of horses who become infected - in fact have any survived?

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

The horses do not recover Mirawee and considered too risky to treat them. They are euthenased.....

Definatly much worse than EI. When you also know that of the seven people that contracted Hendra, four died.

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I didn't think they did recover NG. Although I know they tried to save a few. But I couldn't remember completely :eek: From memory one started to pick up and dropped again? That was the year the vet died :(

10. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Since its discovery in QLD in 1994, 4 humans have died from it and so have 30 horses.

Hope all are ok and that its only the one horse affected.

11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

3 of those humans have died in the last 2 years though. And it is now accepted as a problem so many horses and even people may have been affected but not tested.

Seriously I am glad at this stage that the chance of it coming to WA is low.

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

This was an interesting read on Hendra if anyone is interested..

Hendra Virus Discussion Paper
    By Dr Martin Lenz, Veterinarian, Queensland Racing Limited.

Mirawee....it is very low because we dont have a fruit bat problem :)

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

We do have a bat population though :) So if we get infected bats it will come... hopefully the rabbit proof fence keeps it out :D

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

LOL just like it kept out the rabbits and the cane toads aye? *#):p**)

15. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

fanks sharon...all good where he is**)..spoke to owners of the property and no bat colony's have been there since they have lived there(over 20yrs),his dam is in the open,no trees over hanging it, the property is at kerry..about 20 mins from me, heaps of choppers have been low flying over all day..seen channel 7 and 10 wizz pass me on the hwy..scary stuff!!!CSRIO is almost ready to release a vaccine for the horses too..due out next year..hurry up!!!

16. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

So excited about the vaccine!!

And very happy your boy is safe!

17. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I am only 20ish minutes up the road from this :( and I haven't seen a single bat since moving here (lack of fruit trees might help that?)

I have a couple of trees around the dam but no grass grows under the trees. I have still moved the water trough into the stable where all hard feed and hay is eaten.

I hope the vaccine is released sooner rather than later I for one will be lining flynn up for it no matter the cost

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  18. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

12/18 months till the is vaccine ready their saying..and kiwigirl..go outside when the sun is gone and you can just make out dark figures flying around..scared the crap out of me when i first noticed one..

19. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

im about 40 mins form Kerry, fingers crossed its the only case.... We have heaps of little tiny bats at my place..... but luckily no trees any where near horses!

But dont you think its weird that the tests were taken on Sunday and they only just got the results back?

20. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

QH Rulz, from my understanding there are two stages to the testing. And the more accurate test takes a couple of days :(