Laminitis

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Lindyloo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Lindyloo

Lindyloo New Member

My pony is recovering from a bout of laminitis (first time ever for me) and I'm not too sure as what is safe to feed hard feed wise. Have googled a lot of different feeds and it would be great to get some people's experiences.

He is currently on hygain zero and soaked hay but I think he is needing something more now that he is coming back into light work. Have been looking at hygain fibressentials but not sure it is safe. He will not touch maxi-soy at all :(.

2. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hi Lindyloo,

There is plenty of information on laminitis in our forum database. Just type in 'laminitis' in the Google custom search box at the top just under the menu and click the search button.**)

cheers...admin

3. krayzee

krayzee New Member

Actually lindyloo, it would be far better to ask your veterinarian as they are far better trained for this.

4. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Look into Equishure. Fixed ours

5. mini magic

mini magic Active Member

I'm in the same situation as you right now. Also feeding Zero (which I'm happy with and so is my boy) but I too need something else? I've been reading Heaps!! I now have ruled out quite a few things and put him on Copra as it is safe to feed Lami prone horses and ponies. A lot of things for conditioning/ topline ect are ruled out due to starch/suger levels:( interestingly enough vegetable oil and rice bran oil is safe. I'm hoping the Copra will put on that extra topline my boy needs and just keep his diet as that and the Zero. Chia seeds also great for them :)