Lame horse sprain?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Kellys, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Kellys

Kellys New Member

Hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. My mare has been lame now for 2 months. She does have mild ringbone but this has not changed in 12 months. It was a sudden lameness and she is uncomfortable at walk and extremely lame at trot. There is no swelling and her feet aren't sore. I have seen 2 different vets. All X-rays clear and nothing obvious on ultrasound. She is very sore when the fetlock is flexed. One vet said it may be soft issue or a strained ligament. Another said to just to get a new horse (which I was not impressed with!)

I have been told to lock her up and give her bute, which does make her comfy then the minute it's stopped she is sore again.

Has anyone had anything like this before? I am at a loss as she doesn't seem to be improving. She is in a small paddock cos I can't lock her up cos she goes mental! She won't trot or do anything too stupid cos she is too sore when she does.

Is there anything else I could do?

2. Kellys

Kellys New Member

Forgot to say farrier thought it could be ligament too. Said maybe collateral but not sure

3. kp

kp Well-known Member

Horse needs to be seen by a vet again. Were blocks done? No point going to a different vet each time. Finding lameness can be a process of elimination, if you keep using a different vet this process starts again.

4. Kellys

Kellys New Member

A full work up was done with 3 nerve blocks. Looked as though the pain was coming from the fetlock area. Also had full set of X-rays and ultrasound.
    The only reason the other vet looked at her was because I had them in for vaccinations and a different vet was on and he noticed how she was walking. I have been speaking with my normal vet and she is stumped and was thinking the sprain cos most other things have been rules out.

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

Even a very serious ligament injury will have improved lameness wise by now. Who is the vet?

6. Kellys

Kellys New Member

Valley equine

7. kp

kp Well-known Member

I've never used them personally. But m a little shocked they haven't been more helpful. He horse sounds like it needs more diagnostics, which unfortunately costs more money with no guarantee on a result. I've always taken my strange lameness to Murdoch, always been thorough. But also mindful with regards to just how much to spend to find the problem.

Either way, rest hasn't fixed your horse. Looking further into the problem is a good idea. But just how far you go, can depend on how much you are willing to spend.

8. luffy

luffy Active Member

Even though you say her ringbone has not progressed in 12 months, has this been ruled out as the cause?

Arthritis is tricky and what shows on Xray as mild in one horse may produce lameness and another horse that seems to have more dramatic changes may be sound!

Have you considered an injection (hyaluronic acid, corticosteroids) into the affected joint, is it high ringbone on X-ray (i.e. pastern joint)? It is not too pricey and if it resolves the lameness then it may give you an answer...