Lactic Acid in Hooves - some help pls?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by MyShadowfax, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Hi all!! I had my farrier out recently to barefoot trim my horses and he was happy with them, except he did comment that my pony mare Shadow was a little tender in two of her soles and had a small amount of lactic acid build up?

He didn't seem concerned but I'm a little worried it could be the beginnings of laminitis - is this a fair concern? She has never foundered before but has been on very, very lush pasture improved grass + about 1kg of Gumnuts a day and she's not in work so I'm a bit worried now!!

He suggested giving her a table spoon of baking soda in her feed daily, which I've started doing, but I'm just wondering if I should reduce / take her off the Gumnuts? She just does so well on them I don't know what else I'd feed her lol

If anyone has any experience with lactic acid build up yoiur thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Lactic acid is usually related to muscle soreness or hint gut acidosis.:confused:

He maybe refering to sub-clinical laminitis. :}

To be safe, remove the Gumnuts (they are grain based), cut out the grass, soak her hay and only feed non-cereal grain feeds like copra, lupins, Zero, maxisoy, canola meal, black sunnies and lucerne.**)

Maintain her on this til the farrier is out next and see if there is a noticeable improvement in her hooves. If there is then you know why!!:)*:))

3. MyShadowfax

Thanks Caroline :)

You'll have to excuse my ignorance if that post didn't make sense, as I mentioned I am not really familiar with Laminitis but from what I understand it is caused by a lactic acid overflow from the hind gut that 'somehow' reaches the hooves, and once it does Laminitis and eventually founder can result?

Or is this way off lol.

I am definitely leaning towards taking her off the Gumnuts, thanks :)

ETA - she has just been moved to a new agistment centre with much more suitable pasture.

4. Caroline

If she does have early lami issues, then NO pasture is safe for her to consume due to the NSC content. Be careful.

5. MyShadowfax

Oh crap lol I did not know that!!

Stressing a little now that it may be early laminitis, I think it might be best to get my vet out.

6. Caroline

Sugars, fructans and starch are the worst things for laminitis! #(*#)

FounderGuard maybe worth considering for your mare. Along with dietary changes. **) :D

7. MyShadowfax

Yes I knew that starch, high level NSC feeds etc are no good for laminitis, but I thought poor quality pasture might be ok....my plan was just to take out the gumnuts and feed lucerne hay with something like CoolFibre.

The FounderGuard is a good idea too, thanks again.

8. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I had to totally remove my minature pony off the paddock feed, he nearly couldn't walk :( I wasn't feeding him anything. Once remving him off the grass he got a biscuit of soaked oaten hay a day. Did this for a month he dropped a stack of weight and now bolts round the paddock except I cannot catch him to put him back in the jenny craig yard!!!!!! Such a clever pony haha:)

9. MyShadowfax

Lol Merlin thanks for that :)

Shadow is actually not fat at all, I would say maybe a body condition score of 2.5 - 3, which I need to maintain as she has weight bearing issues due to an old injury to her back legs.

But I know a horse doesn't need to be fat to get laminitis!! I may just be being paranoid as the farrier didn't seem worried, but seeing as she's not in work its got me thinking that all that grain is probably more than she needs.

10. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Try feeding bi carb. It stops latic acid building up in the muscles so may help the feet. I have heard about people feeding their horses bi carb for hot feet.

11. MyShadowfax

Thanks LLE - have started that :D

12. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

What about trying one of the acid buffering supplements along with a diet change?

There's a few on the markek. KER make one called Equisure. Then there's Nutradex and i'm sure there's a couple more.

This post is actually ringing alarm bells for me, because my boy was so sore for so long, and i never knew what was going on, and niether trimmer could figure it out, because nothing even fit as to why he's foot sore. And he would get very sore after a trim.
    How is your horse after a trim or shoeing?

I knew laminitis was one of the signs of both acidosis as well as EPSM, and i can't rule either one out for my boy.
    He's 24/7 paddocked, but there's only minimal green pick (he used to be on retic pick).
    He's also been on the EPSM diet proper for the past month. And you might have seen the results in my updated thread? He's much better.
    Foot soreness may have been due to the hole found in his sole, but that only explains 1 foot, not all 4. And not it getting better, than worse.
    I have also done the kidney flush for him (KA powder). It was cheap and easy, just add to feed, and i do think it has made a difference.

So honestly, i would be looking at diet changes, especially if your horse has ongoing, unexplained soreness.

Which means, yes, take her off the Gumnuts, they have barley. Take her off grain, as Caroline said.
    If you can, put her in a paddock which has the least green feed, but substitute this lack of roughage with hay. Probably meadow is best. But soak the oaten, and try to get some that has least grains.
    My boy's on Speedibeet, lucerne and oil as a hard feed. Plus supps. That's it. Not in work, and doesn't need lupins.

She may just have acidosis, or she may be a bit EPSM. Or she may have one as a result of the other. I don't even know if that's possible, so i'm just guessing.

If it wasn't for SMR (thank you!), i would have never known about it, and probably not tried the different diet.

13. MyShadowfax

Thanks Cornflower. This is the first time she has shown any tenderness in any of her hooves in the three years I have had her.

I wouldn't say she is very sore, I can notice a very minimal short stepping with one of her front feet, and only at trot.

She does not seem any worse after her trim to be honest. I am going to cut back to half the Gumnuts for a week while I start introducing a new low NSC feed and then will take it out all together. Have heard of the KER product so may check it out thanks :)