knabstrup as a breed..??

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Black_Storm, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Black_Storm

Black_Storm Active Member

Ive been looking around as i am getting a property in a few years and want to start up my own breeding program and wasnt sure what breed to start, ive been looking at these guys as i dont think there are many in aus and i like the colour mixed with warmblood looks, what does every one think of this breed, or if anyone has had the pleasure of meeting one in person. :D

Cheers
    Mon

2. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Contact Primrose court, her friend has an imported colt. I am sure she could point you in the right direction.

3. Black_Storm

Black_Storm Active Member

Ok thanks :D

4. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

I have never met one, but I think they are wikid! Best of luck with starting your breeding program :)*

5. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

Hi black storm
    Valdez is right her names Helen..We have just put our wbxtb to him hes lovely so fingers crossed shes preg:D Im pretty sure there are only 2 in australia Raz which is Helens and another over east which is still pretty young!

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Best question to ask is - how desirable are the foals, as in is there a demand for them. I dont know the answer though lol. No point putting the time, money, effort into breeding something that will be difficult to sell because the market for them is too niche.

Riders/buyers have so many options, there are just so many good horses on the market, esp if you want to sell higher end stuff (please tell me you do LOL) because then you are also competing with studs over east.

I recon the section of the market where there is a really good gap is in mid-sized horses for teens/small adults who are ready to go off ponies but dont want TB/WBs yet. PC horses for the 13-17 kind of age group. Sensible and reliable horses with lovely natures, not too hot, athletic enough for eventing type stuff (lower level) and sensible enough that the riders are not scared etc so they can have fun on them. I say this because i sold a conny cross and had just SO much interest in her even though she was still fairly green (limited comps, but basic education), and most interest was from young teens, and most said there just wasnt much out there in that category. BUT i think they would need to be given basic education and sold on with nov dressage/some jumping exp ready to start PC stuff for it to be worthwhile.

Just an example :) But that kind of thinkin will find you the best breed for you to breed/market :)

7. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

Im not really sure on the temp of them! But Raz is only 2 and half and he's nearly 17hh...:) I think they would have the same temp as WB so you get a good one or a bad one;)

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

They look very much like the old Appy before the introduction of QH.....plain headed and with plenty of identifiable sclerera.....

Plus it looks as if they got that same sparce mane and tail so frustrating for Appy lovers.....I've heard a few Appy breeders over the years refer to it as 'Rat tail' syndrome.....lolol Like a rat has been thinning it out.....lolol

Yep those spots are sure spotty!! :))

9. abi

abi Well-known Member

appaloosa's are supossed to have sparse manes and tails , not full bushy ones to the floor:)

10. sil

sil Gold Member

Sorry already working on that section! :p

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

glad to hear it sil, if i had any interest in breeding thats what i'd do! Plus makes it easier for someone my size to train hehe.
    So what breed are you thinking?

12. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

Have to agree Heifer, we have crossed our small Trakehner mare with a Highland pony stallion...we didn't realise until we advertised it how much demand there is for these mid sized horses (galloways?)! We will be making the same cross again this year.

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I love what I have read about Knabstruppers...being that their is only 1 or 2 in Aus and less than 1000 in the world, I have not actually met 1 **) I have a FB friend who breeds them in USA and is looking into crossing them with GRP's to make a large pony version. some history of the Knabstrupper
    Spotted Sport Horses :: Knabstrupper History
    They seem to be a very useful and trainable breed:)*

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  14. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

A really good friend of mine used to trick ride in a circus, and her trainer had a knabstrup stallion which produced great horses for trick riding. Apparently they have a great temperament, and are really trainable.

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yes its a breed trait but still very frustrating for showies......lolol They spend money on falsies.....ahahahahah

16. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I dont get this reasonable new found obsession for Appies to have tails?? I know 20 years ago it was just the norm to have a "poor" mane and tail and as a breed trait the horses were just shown as is...the more modern appys do seem to have "better" tails than their ancestors ( I know falsies are added, but is seems some outcrossing over the years has resulted in more tail? )...even though this is more popular now for showing, does it not take the horse away from what its original breed standards were??

Up until 1985 the SOE of the ApHC included "appaloosas often carry a fine thin mane and tail, if the tail is too heavy it must be trimmed to fall near the hocks" and then I cannot find manes and tail mentioned?

17. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

oooo would love to see!!! there are heaps of ponies, heaps of TB/WB, but very few of the fabulous in between ones - and they are just so versitile and fun!

18. sil

sil Gold Member

Saddlebred ^.^
    The purebreds are chilled as.

I think I've seen a Knabstupper at that Gestut place overseas, wouldnt normally mention it but I believe they have exported semen to Australia for other stallion, so that could add into your plans?! They are gorgeous looking horses.

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

in terms of the knabstrup, which i have never seen in person so this is not so much a statement as a question... How much ABILITY does the horse have, bugger it's colour, mane, tail or anything else, these are all so superficial and i dont think they make great horses great. There are plenty of breeds out there which have ABILITY and TEMPERMENT and TRAINABILITY, so surely the sole reason for breeding this particular breed is its COLOUR. Oh, but wait, i thought noone bred for colour, it was just an added bonus? As a rider i wouldnt look at this breed unless something specific came up. There are just too many talented horses out there, with the physical and mental attributes i need. Im not saying they CANT do it, just that it is always easier to market a horse that is already in demand, rather than try and create demand and prove the horse can do something that is not really that extraordinary (such as reach FEI dressage, eventing, showjumping or any other sport that SO MANY other breeds are already so well represented and doing well in).

So, who would you market these horses to? Amature competitors? Pleasure riders? Professionals? and what sport? THESE are the questions to ask of any breed you plan on producing i think. Because the attributes requried for each are quite different, and having a little but not alot of each attribute is not enough to make a really marketable horse.

IE movement - "good" movement in breed showing means a different thing to "good" movement in amature dressage or "good" movement in serious pro dressage or "good" movement in showjumping. Its no good having amazing flashy huge movement suited to pro dressage on a horse with all the other characteristics to make it a pleasure horse because the likely buyer wont be able to ride the movement. And visa versa.

ie. I dont kid myself that my horse was ever destined to be Anky's next olympian, but in terms of suitability for upper end amature riding (all i aspire to), perfecto! Movemet that is correct, elegant and rideable, enough collectability to make it easy for his dodgy amature rider to eventually do collected stuff with him, size suitable for me, temperment that makes him very enjoyable for me etc etc.

So what do you AIM to produce? What discipline/s, what level, what potential riders? And then consider what makes a horse PERFECT for that goal - then you can start to look at individual breeds/lines/stallions/mares etc.

Dont be blinded by the colour, but if you think it will make a more marketable and desirable horse (honestly) for the potential buyers you are aiming at, then consider it! Just be aware that it also has the potential to go the other way and spook buyers off (ie an amazing hack with a funny colour is not as marketable as the more traditional colours i think we will agree?)

20. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Sil - interesting :) I have never had anything to do with SBs (have seen them in your paddocks though hehe) so cant comment. How are they going in US at PC and teenage rider kind of things? How big are they?