Kimberley Horse Slaughter

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Tintara, Jun 1, 2010.

1. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

Yer i read it just before ... and i would like to know as to why they have to get the horses off the property .. otherwise they get a fine if they dont .. their must be some environmental issues or something weird going on ..

2. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

well there you go. I heard on GWN last night that the idea had been canned.

3. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

...but not the horses, eh?

4. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

haha :D dont be so nasty ash lover, my dogs are vegetarian too
    *insert sarcasm* :p

5. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

Not going to comment here but just wanted to share this.

My OH wrote her honours thesis (in law) on the topic of animal welfare of 'pest animals' in Australia. This topic was inspired after being personally involved with some rescued wild horses as a vet.

A small extract of her thesis won the NSW young lawyers essay competition in 2009 and will be published shortly. Her thesis was awarded first class honours at UWA.

It is NOT an answer but a compilation of comprehensive research of how the law of Australia deals with the welfare of pest animals and its ethical justifications. And some suggestions on how to improve welfare considerations!

Some people may think it's black and white, for anyone interested, here is a link to the essay: http://www.lawsociety.com.au/idc/groups/public/documents/internetyounglawyers/063777.pdf

And a link to the competition website: Law Society of NSW - Animal Law Essay Competition

6. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

very good posts Anna,

Can I just say that rescue trips up there to take on horses isn't exactly in the horses best interests either, due to time constraints the 'rescue' is usually very rushed and gung-ho and extremely, extremely stressful on the horses.

Sounds to me like taking the time to muster them at water points, loading them up on trucks and getting them to the closest appropriate abbatoir is the best option.

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Interesting reading Nannoo..
    I think you'll find no one uses yellow phosphorus or chloropicrin any more, and if they did, it would be very hard to defend if you were charged with animal cruelty. The Ag Dept at least specifically states they are not acceptable. Same goes for leg hold traps - although not technically illegal, their use would be almost indefensible in a court nowadays.
    Hopefully as we get the pollies to put the Codes of Practice into law (a job not unlike trying to herd cats...) these things will be covered in law and actually illegal, as opposed to just frowned upon!
    I think what a lot of people forget in these situations is that although a procedure/bait etc is considered "cruel" by the public - and rightly so - unless it is specifically mentioned in law, it is very hard to raise a prosecution. So until we get the pollies to do the right thing, the inspectors are hamstrung.

8. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

If you do some research you'll find yellow phosphorus or chloropicrin are still in the codes of practice in other states. #(

WA is the first to catch up with the times... (which would be a first!)

9. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Interesting reading, I can see from the point of view of both sides in the debate. My initial reaction to the email was emotional, one of horror then logic and reason took over.

Feral horses, camels, pigs, goats, sheep and cattle further exacerbate degradation of fragile ecosystems, placing stress on native fauna and flora. This is the reason why the government places legislation and policies around how many livestock each farm/station can have and why the government takes actions to minimise the impact that feral animals have on the native ecosystem.

Yes it is terrible that these horses may suffer stress during the culling process but is it not better that they are removed then the desert increasing in area, losing native plants and animals only found in Australia all of which then further damages the ecosystem making vast tracts of land incapable of sustaining further life?

10. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

these feral horses will by the act of the harsh land will cull them selves naturally leaving mainly hardy stock .
    Just my opinion, the ones that survive would make GREAT endurance horses for any one who cared to catch some.
    I am writing this a little bit tongue in cheek..haha

11. Bandishi

Bandishi New Member

The issue with the horses is the failure of the Govt to implement a humane control system of the animals. The animals exist, and as humans we have an overwhelming obligation to ensure we treat the animals with respect and care. That doesnt mean blasting away at terrified horses cauing panic then leaving horses to die of gun shot wounds.

The reality with these particular horses is the Govt wants them gone not because they somehow cause problems- that point has yet to be proven, but because the land is wanted for use by cattle intended for live export.

Cattle if you please. It is a scientific fact cattle cause massive degradation.

Further, the horses have been in this area for years and there is little to no destruction.

The Govt reckons there are 5000 horses. Where is the proof? No official aerial survey has been conducted to substantiate their claims yet they harp on and on.. giving out inflated numbers to justify a mass kill.