Kimberley Horse Slaughter

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Tintara, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Unfortunaltely the reality is that the horses have to go. And hopefully the muster and transportation will be done in the most humane way possible. The reality is that there will be a couple that will get fatally injured in the muster and the transportation. I just hope that someone will have the nicety to shoot them straight away.

There is no way 200 let alone 5000 wild horse could be rehomed. (There is plenty of nice, slow racehorses that die too)

Helicopter culling should not be an option!

Sterilization is again not an option.

Hopefully this won't have to happen too many more times in such a large scale.

But the reality is horses become injured, unwanted and have to go somewhere. I just hope our slaughterhouses are better and more humane than the ones in mexico, singapore, etc. AND i hope that these stations become better managed from now on. ';'

2. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

';'

I dont know if this has been mentioned (probably has) as I havent read through all the posts but.......

Couldnt they herd the horses up into corrals,kill them as humanley as possible, and then truck them down in refrigerated trucks.

It would probably be to expensive and a logistic nightmare and I am not sure what you need to do with a horse once it has died ie does it need to be gutted asap or could you just hang until you got the dispatch factory??

If this were the case then why couldnt they set up a temporary slaughter house/system up there near where the horses are and then transport to where ever they need to go?It would be such a better way to go IMO.

Just ideas I have always wondered about when ever I read anythign about Horse slaughtering.

Back home (in England) hundreds of Native ponies are rounded up each yr off the mountains and moors, and the majority of these travelling to Europe in appalling conditions.I think this is what most ppl have a problem the actual 'live animal trade' which I think they (UK) did ban for a while at least with horses/donkeys etc.

And this wouldnt be dis similer so I wonder if the government could set up temporary slaughter houses?I'm sure if they could it would have been done... but just wondering why not really?';'

3. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

It would be VERY hard to set up a temporary abattoir. For many reasons. (would be a good idea though)

Id like to know why they cant be carted to perth abattoirs. Still a fair hike, but not nearly as far.

4. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

i think its too difficult to set up a mobile abbotoir because of the issolation of the location, also for an abbotoir you need the water, the power, the epa approval for disposal of the waste, its a red tape nightmare.

and sharaway, your too slow, i already suggested the lion (aslan) haha.

5. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

pmsl, sorry missed the whole Aslan bit.

I just love that anyone who says killing these horses is inhuman staggers me, have you seen a Lion take down a Zebra? Nothing humane about that.

1. The chase, the Zebra knows full well why its being chased, and what will happen to it if it gets caught.
    2. Zebra's back legs are either pulled out from under neath or, or a Lion latches itself onto its hind quarters weighing down.
    3. That Lion or another, will then grab the Zebra in a throat lock and bite down until it suffocates to death, mean while the rest of the Lion pack is all ready ripping the Zebra open and eating it while its still alive.

I really dont see how you can say that transporting these horses to be humanely killed is worse than death via lion.

PROVIDED the horses are treated well while being transported.

We ALL agree that they should suffer as little as possible, but the real honest truth is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid some suffering unless you send SAS snipers in to stalk watering holes and the like to single head shot shoot them one at a time.

The only 100% not suffering, non fearing for your life way to kill an animal is for the animal to never see it coming.

But its not a practical solution to erradicate what is now a massive problem that is clearly out of control in many areas of Australia.

This is just horses, let alone add camels, we have more camels than the middle east now, rabbits, foxes, goats, cane toads...

Just because we have made pets of horse doesnt give them any devine protection from slaughter when they are allowed to go feral.

Camels are being rounded up and shot every day, a small number exported back to the middle east, but a drop in the bucket compared to whats still feral and not even putting a dent in the rate at which they are still breeding.

Rabbits, the biological controls have been very effective, we still have wild rabbits though.

Our own native Kangaroos in many areas now are breeding out of control, or urban areas have forced then back into more confined areas, we have a control for them, its called cars and trucks, insurance companies just LOVE roos.

Culling of roos in suburbia now is also near impossible, bit hard to get high powered weapons out in the burgs.

The very small minority to save these horses is very vocal, very passionate, and well organised, so their getting a voice.

Instead of getting hands on to help truck these horses in a safer maner and see that food and water are provided, their solution is to have animal angels follow the trucks to doccument the inhumane treatment.

Sorry people, watching and doccumenting to me is just as bad as doing.

Work with the transport people, help to set up feed and water stations, but remember, every single time you load and unload feral stock you risk more injury, these horses are actually safer ON the trucks.

6. smash

smash Well-known Member

are you feeding my lions shaza??
    you are so thoughtful :D:D:D
    thanks mate

7. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

you know, i normally claim no opinion on these things cos im mostly drowned out by the ppl like the OP.

its very nice to find im not alone in my veiws. :)

8. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Also - The only, as above said, way is to have the situation managed properly in the first place.

Realistically - if people think being a wild animals is 100% non suffering, non fearing - they do need to get a reality check.

As sharaway mentioned in the description of the hunt.

Suffering, and fear - is a day to day occurance in the life and times of a wild/feral animal. It aint a pretty peacful picture.....their is no farrier/vet to remove abcesses, their is no chiropractor to rearange things after a bold stallion has served a small mare....

Just thought.....:}

9. Anna E

Anna E Guest

ROFL at the idea of dozens of sharp shooters creeping around the Kimberley shooting pigs, camels and horses in the back of the head from 100 metres - cos as Sharaway said that's the only way to do it without ANY stress.
    Primrose Court to be fit for human consumption, if shot on site they would have to be hung, gutted and skinned in a building that suited Health Dept standards then chilled immediately and shipped as halves in refrigerated trucks. Abattoirs are COLD for a reason.
    It has been attempted many times to get an abattoir up and running on the Kimberley coast but it's just not feasible. Nice idea but never gonna happen. Anyone want to suggest THAT for some Royalties for Regions money??
    Perth abattoirs would not accept them as they don't have the facilities for horses - the design of yards, races, holding crates etc etc is different for every species in order to get the job done with minimal (here's that word again) stress. Running them through an abattoir designed for cattle would result in escapes, botched humane killing as their head would not be still.. and so on and so forth. Ditto for sheep and pig abattoirs only more so.

10. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

Very true Anna E .. when we went and caught my brumby we had to bring him in the yards 3 times because he is a bloody good jumper so he jumped out of cattle yards .. nose touching the rail and just lept over them .. so when we got him in the 4th time we pushed him up on the truck with a bull buggy so he couldnt do it again ... and you are right for human consumption that the yards in perth ect are not set up for horses .. the abs i have been to in and around perth are only set up for the biggest animal that will go through these yards and that is cattle .. hahhaah and then as you said would cause escapes hahah that would be awesome to see on the news hundreds of wild horses have escaped from a local perth abbotoir and are running riot through the streets of perth ... i could imagine the headlines..

Government tries to catch wild horses and brings them into perth suburbs only for them to escape and cause a great destruction costing us tax payers more money ...

PMSL

11. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Where did they go?? When asked for a logical solution they ran for the hills.... That's what gives 'animal activists' a bad name...

12. Ouzopuppy

Ouzopuppy Well-known Member

Careful they are probably off writing up a petition to save the cane toads!!
    Hey CCH so from what you are saying your brumby would have been a bit stressed, so rescuing them and bringing them back to domestication would be just as stressful (if not more) so could we have an arguement that that to is cruel!!!
    Oh I am not having a go at you CCH in fact I would love to talk to you more about it cause other has promised to take me to the station he worked on for 2 years and catch one and bring it back, he has done it before but I haven't.
    I am just saying the warm fuzzy option may not be in the best interest of the horses.

13. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

Just a quick note...there is a very good reason why a temporary abbattoir is out of the question....abbattoir operations are EXTREMELY water and power hungry...two items that are in very short supply in these remote locations...so unless a permamnent slaughter house was set up, and permanent infrastructure was built, the power and water requirements would be insurmountable...

Looks like trucking them out is the only realistic option unless we wantrotting carcasses scattered around the area.

14. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

Boris??? where are you?

I had hoped to hear his/her personal experiences with livestock trucking etc and to hear the solution but nothing............I am genuinely interested to to k now where/why/how the opinions were formed at what they have to back it up!

15. beks

beks Well-known Member

Why is it that when someone who puts there opinion up that is different to yours you all bite said persons head off, can we all not have an opinion, isn't that what makes a debate worth being a debate.
    If they've gone its probably because you lot arn't interested in another persons opinion.
    Whatever the reason for a persons opinion, be it emotional, monetry whatever, its there opinion and should be treated with the same respect as yours and those that agree with your idea's.
    Just a thought after reading this whole thread.

PS. I dont have an opinion, Im an avid animal lover and vegetarian, but I can't see the answer.

Beks:))

16. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

beks, I think that you will find that it is a debate worth having....and to be fair, many of us have asked boris et al for THEIR solution....as you say, there is no easy solution....and many of us agree, however, do not see inaction as an option. All we are asking for is for boris to put forward a plan of action to solve the problem.

Boris was the one that became personal and whilst many of us did not agree with him.....only when he started to make assumptions about people did we were well within our rights to do the same...

I admire and respect you for standing by your own values and set of ethics with your vegetarianism, but I have chosen to remain an omnivore (and have produced much of my protein), however this is not about whether or not you choose to eat meat, rather a feral animal problem that has to be addressed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  17. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Lots of questions ';'

Boris are you aka Libby, if so, have followed your work for years **) Love your passion and committment, if not all of your idylls ;)

Are there really 5000? I've not seen facts that support that figure, but will look it up again ';'

Lastly, if the demand for the meat is International, and the current resource is scarce in other countries, why can we not negotiate to put the onus back onto those countries for the evacuation and processing of the supply? I am just thinking of the humane logistics of moving 5000 horses (give or take a few hundred that will perish in the process), firstly across to South Australia, and then overseas.

I am firmly against aerial culling, especially as no follow-up cull is performed on animals that may only have a shot to a shoulder, rump, or one leg blown out :mad:

18. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Read the posts again beks - you'll find that is was Boris that got personal and quite aggressive. And then bolted when copping the same treatment in return.

I wonder how much it would cost to build a 'horse department' in a current perth slaughter house?

Saw on the news last night that this trucking idea to SA has to be re evaluated - due to certain petitions. So a new plan needs to be drawn up, again, and we have another breeding season just around the corner....

ETA - LOVED sharaways comment. Maybe these animal activists should put the pens down and get their hands dirty, sort this issue out themselves - and not in the half a***d manner of rehoming a couple.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  19. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

Yer i agree definately was stressfull for him but he did not lose any weight from the stress or go off his food or have a sulk about it which when a horse sulks they end up dying most of the time ... but he was even more stressed when he was taken away from his mum .. that is when he kept jumping out of the yards so in the end she had to go on the truck with him and when it came to splitting them up we put her on the truck and locked him in the big arena with the other horses that were being left behind sure he ran around for ages calling out to her but when that big hay roll came in .. it was a different story these horses had not seen proper feed for ages they didnt know what it was .. creamy and cash which was another horse i got from them but gave him away before i left newman .. they were absolutley petrified of it all the horses were so we had to roll it out .. everything was new for them as none of these horses had, had any human contact or seen any of the suroundings they were in .. yes they were very stressed at the start but very quickly adapted to their new suroundings .. and all the horses that were left behind including my two that i got out of it they were all very curious horses all ranging from the ages of 2 up to 7 .. cash and creamy (my 2 horses) were both just nearly 2 years of age .. very curous little things but as soon as something was happening they didnt like they would run which is typical prey animal instinct .. that is all they know which is when in danger to run away .. but they had a huge arena to run around in hence why they didnt feel the urge to jump out .. it is kinda like that bubble thing people talk about their bubble were massive at the start and as they slowly got used to human contact their bubble got smaller as they got more curious about what we were .. in the end i put creamy in a round yard that we made inside the arena one day and he just stood in their after a few times of being in their and realising what hay was now .. i would sit down so i was below him and was no threat and would sit on the outside of the fence with hay until oneday he decided he would try and get some i didnt try straight away to touch him .. i waited till he touched me ... these types of horses are very sensitive but the best thing about them is once you have their trust it grows so quickly and they will trust you with everything .. and they ussually are for a few years a one person horse kinda like working dogs they only will listen to one person and follow one person well this is what creamy and cash were like with me .. after a while cash was interested in what others were like and he trusted others alot quicker than creamy hence why i gave cash away to one of my friends from newman and not creamy .. i have had creamy over 12 months now and still to this day he is a bit shifty and nervous with others .. he proved that with the vets when he injured his hind leg real badly but yer if you want to know more just PM me i am happy to answer any more questions .. i may not of done things right for him at the start with forcing him on a truck ect but he is a great horse now .. and sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind ..

20. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Did we see the article in todays west that said the Lake Gregory horses were being shipped overseas for the meat market and the merits of horsemeat?

..just as I thought....