Kimberley Horse Slaughter

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Tintara, Jun 1, 2010.

1. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I think there is some relevence there....horses shipped to SA go for human consumption overseas, don't they?
    Being drug free they are become very desirable.
    Then comes the pressure of providing more of them.

just my thoughts.

2. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

True Nannygoat, it also adds value to all the feral horses in Australia....and with that value adds the necessity to ensure the animals are presented for slaughter in prime condition...

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

By all means demand BETTER treatment for horses (or cow or sheep) on route to slaughter houses. That is a great thing. Demand humane treatment of all animals from chickens to elephants.
    BUT provide a solution in the process.

Campaigners made the reps close slaughter houses in the USA......it was those actions that have made it so horses have to be trucked all the way to Mexico and into Canada. And the Mexicans have what it takes to destroy horses humanely yeah? They have a really strong animal ethic don't they?
    The slaughter CAN'T stop.....horses need to go somewhere to die.
    So the campaigners did NOTHING to stop horses going to slaughter houses....they just made the trip worse!!!

If you can't provide a better cost effective solution to the problem then don't get involved in the debate.....

I have faith that our government reps will ensure horses travel to SA as comfortably as is possible under the circumstances......the campaign by these radical welfare 'experts' will ensure this. Who knows we might become a model for the rest of the world? One thing I do know is that these horses NEED to be removed and they WILL be destroyed. Lets see if the radicals can draw enough attention so that it happens under the microscope for the benefit of the horses last few days.

4. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

What would be use to judge the winner? The amount of pieces the person is left in after the wild horse runs out of energy? LOL

5. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

Agree i have lived and worked on stations .. the cattle we export do not even get wormed at all .. all we ever did was the ones we could get in on musters plus depending on the area we got them from they would get a vitamin & a preventative vaccination against a few diseases/infections that can kill and ussualy do kill the cattle ... I am a big horse lover exspecally of brumbies i currently own one myself but i used to cull horses because of the problems they caused to our cattle we were trying to fatten up ... i used to be wuite upset to shoot a brumby foal or mare or stallion becos of my love for horses but i can see the effects they have had ... but i agree in the fact that some of them horses should be culled as there is a great number of them .. just because they are horses is the reason why we are all getting upset about it ... There are heaps of cullings happening all over australia at the moment i remember just recently one of geejay's threads and another one about the wild dogs attacking and causing problems hence why they are getting culled because they are causing huge problems for station/ famr owners .. no one had a problem with that with the comments i had read .. everyone felt sorry for the cows and and what the dogs were doing to geejays sheep and goats ... unfortunately this topic is a very sore point for all of us and i can understand everyones views on this thread .. but mine is that yes they should cull some of these animals exspecially the sick and older ones .. you cant rehome 5000 horses unfortunately ... as not everyone is a horse trainer or breaker or has the time and effort to train these horses .. some people cant handle a young or green horse...

But this is just my opinion .. i am not having a go at anyone just agreeing with what everyone has to say .. but yer :D

6. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Just your opinion - Cow chasin Horses you are more qiualified than many of the people who have posted on this thread (and I include myself in that) because you have BEEN THERE. Similarly, Geejay is better qualified.
    The rest of us who haven't been up there have to make do with second hand information. And do with it the best we can.

7. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

so theres those of us that have been there and want the ferals controled.

and those who havent, but some of those have a very clear idea on whats right and wrong?

i think i need to go out and tend to my livestock. lol. cyas!!

8. cow_chasin_horses

Everyone has an opinion Anna E... But i can understand everyones point of view as i said before ... It is heartbreaking to hear about this happening but unfortunately it is what it is and sometimes has to happen :( Lol that is how i got my brumby because they were going to shoot him and i couldnt see a poor little horse get shot because they didnt want him and because he was useless .. so i tried and had great fun with my creamy horse and still do :D but then again have had to shoot brumbies because of the damage they have done to other horses and for the cattles welfare .. no one like hearing about the sad stuff of the animals they love ... but it is something that has to be done :( i do feel for the horses if this does go ahead but in the long run it might be better for them .. how do we know if there is hardly any feed or water for these animals to live on ?? up in the kimberley i dont know what the weather is like or the feed but i do know that in the NW of WA there is hardly any feed so have to do whatever we can to keep the main aim of the game up their which is running huge station with cattle for the economy to keep going ... the horse meat is just not a big enough industry yet .. the industry that is big for them is good breeding for certain disciplines ect .. some brumbies do come under these disciplines and competitions and acheive highly but that is a minority at the moment .. just like cattle or sheep they can go to shows and compete but their biggest part of the sheep or cattle industry is the meat they provide ..

hahahah this is all making sense in my head as i right it but might be confusing for the people that read it so sorry :)

And Jlnew you better look after those marron lol ahhaah

9. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Anna E I have been been to the north of WA and experienced the cattle production systems there. I'm also involved in the production animal system as a whole :)

I have not visited anywhere north other than in WA, however judging by their production systems and outputs, which are much the same as ours, I'd say that the weather and feed is very much the same as we have here. So during the dry season there is not much feed, and during the wet its all drowned! I think Geejay pointed out before that they have to sup feed their few horses (let alone 5000!), I'm not sure where their place is though.

10. Ouzopuppy

Ouzopuppy Well-known Member

thanks to those who have already replied for me but jeeze boris you still didn't answer how many livestock trucks have you loaded??? It is not a personal question! Oh and I invite you to come out and visit the REAL world, the one you get your food from among other things, instead of judging it from your ivory tower! You might get a bit of a suprise how the real world works

11. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Out of interest for you all ';'

There are over 5,000 wild horses living over the area from Bililuna to Balgo, an area in the far east of Western Australia, mostly around Lake Gregory, a fresh water lake formed from the Sturt Creek which has it?s origins in the NT.

Since the Mabo decision which gave Indigenous groups jurisdiction over these wild lands, the horses have come under the Tjurabalin Pastoral Lease which is held by the Aboriginal Lands Trust; part of the Pastoral Lands Board.

The two communities at Bililuna and Mulan, which together manage Tjurabalin, have no income with which to manage the horses and have been pressurized in the past to cull the horses for pet meat. The indigenous groups at Lake Gregory have no resources to care for them or try to manage them.

Perhaps this is the problem nothing to do with stations, if a Processing plant was built it would create an income and incentive to eradicate feral animals and manage the country the way it should.
    :))

12. cow_chasin_horses

GEEJAY ... I wish there was a like button lol... i agree with your above comment :D ... I was not having ago at the stations i was just putting across what i have seen on the stations with copious amounts of brumbies on them :) ...

13. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

these are not station horses as such, which (and im sure geejay will agree here - i hope!) are usually managed and undesirable traits and conformations are removed from the breeding programme. these are feral horses.
    from my time in the pilbara and kimberley i often saw weedy, badly put together horses and mules, these animals were always skinny and sick looking, even during the "good" times.

so, since there appears to be no other economicly viable short term solution, and you have the choice of trucking them out as pets meat, shooting them on the spot from helicoptors, or leaving them as they are, what would you chose?

im putting them in tins of dog meat, at least then they are not feeding the wild pigs and dogs, or slowly straving to death, but are instead contributing to jobs and the economy in some form.

shall now cease and desist from posting in here.

ps, i run sheep, cattle AND horses, just so you know how truly bad i am. :p

14. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

where'd he/she go?
    Considering he/she has taken it upon herself to assume that she knows moree about the issue than us, I would have thought all your questions would have been answered by now?

Does anyone actually KNOW how these horses will be getting transported. If there would be any stops along the way? Whos doing it?

I agree that its a long hike, but it is by FAR the best option anyone has come up with so far. Rehoming would be great, but thats a fantasy.

I know! why dont all the creatures of the universe gather into a circle and sing around a campfire holding hands?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  15. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

wheres Aslan when you need him? {narnia}

16. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

My favorite books :D the lion the witch in the wardrobe
    :))

17. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

oh, isnt he wonderful!!! **)

18. lollipop

lollipop Active Member

In the 40's my uncle walked horses from Balgo/Billiluna to Calwynyardah. From the mares walked there they produced a some great local horses of the area. In 1983 we went up there to buy horses except they were too "run out" and wild to bother with. In 1998 my partner was involved with a cull of those same horses and they kept some 20 odd 18mnth-2yr old which were, in his words "bad doing dirty kickingb$%#@ds".

Bad inbreeding and lack of management is a curse.#(

Anyway anyone who wants to take their float up there and load the odd horse on should pull their pants down and bums up away we go.:)*
    Just toss a halter on, put the back up strap the storm cover down and mumsie is the word.*#)

19. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Never belittle an animal as only human ignorance has created these problems, hopefully human logic will fix it.

20. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Who is throwing them away? To shoot and leave is pure waste, to truck them and slaughter them at least uses the meat.

I want to see them canned and sold as SPAM :))

Brumby Jerkie

Pony Pies

Picked Pony

Horse cranskys.

Animal Angels, god some people seriously get off on this stuff dont they.

The feel good do gooder endorphins would keep Ben Cousins wasted for a week.

Tonight I killed a cockroach, please ask the animal angels to pray for its little soul will you, clearly I am a heartless blood thirsty red neck more than happy to go in guns a blazing, or boots a stomping.

The horses are walking meat sacks, that should not be where they are, are clearly not being managed, can not sustainably be managed, there is NO happy ending here.

In the end they die.

BY GEORGE I'VE GOT IT.....WE NEED A NATURAL CONTROL FOR THEM, LETS INTRODUCE LIONS TO THE OUTBACK.

VIVA LA LIONS..