Kimberley Horse Slaughter

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Tintara, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Just passing on an email that I received on Sunday. Mods, feel free to move it to a more suitable location if necessary.

Hi all,

Just this week I received an e-mail that had been passed on through a number of people. It originated from a woman living in the Kimberley, who had just received advice that up to 5000 horses living at Lake Gregory, WA are to be rounded up, crammed into trucks and transported over 3000 kilometres across Central Australia to an abattoir in South Australia. This includes mares in foal. There they will be slaughtered and the meat sent overseas for human consumption.

The reason for this action is that there are concerns regarding environmental damage from the horses. However there are 5000 cattle also grazing this huge tract of land, and there is feed and water available for all. Despite the reasons for the order, no prior action has been undertaken by government to manage the horse population.

A local group, who has been working with these horses for five years, is willing to work to manage the population through gelding of stallions and use of a contraceptive for the mares, and so manage the population, reduce the impact, and avoid the untold stress, terror, injury, that will occur with such wholesale round up and transportation of these horses.

The people at Mulan have stated they do not want a cattle station but would prefer a Brumby Sanctuary with input to manage the horses. The Tanami Track is already being upgraded to bring in tourists via Alice Springs or Broome. Many more tourists are now using the old Canning Stock Route which passes over the Lake Gregory land.

Animals Australia have received confirmation from WA government that the round up, transport and slaughter is to take place, maybe as early as next week..

Animals Australia have set up an action on their website. PLEASE take a couple of minutes to access and send an e-mail of protest. Please personalise the letter as much as you can.

Urgent! Save Kimberley's Wild Horses | Take Action | Animals Australia

In addition please send a polite letter of protest to Minister.Redman@dpc.wa.gov.au with a copy to wildhorseskimberley@yahoo.com.au

Please sign petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sa...eing-trucked-3000-k-to-slaughter-trucked-3000

I also ask that you circulate, cross post, put on your own website, networks and get the word out as much as you can.

There has been very little information given out about this cull, we need the world to know and to act and we, as individuals can make a difference.

I thank you in anticipation of your help

Name supplied

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

At last some one else knows about this horrific CONTROL of the kimberley brumbies. Come on people we can STOP this. My mind cringes at the thought of all those horses being transported so far. Send in your protests NOW I am. every one can stop this. Tell EVERYONE, email friends overseas, make this known every where. Its our money the gov will be using, have your say on how we want our horses MANAGED.
    I am off to fill in forms. I am sooo upset.

3. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Yes I was suprised the Lake Gregory plans were not written about earlier on here. 60 Minutes may have spoken about the shooting of horses from helicopters but rounding them up, transporting them over two days with no breaks, water, food, and then killing them... ...that certainly is no better.

4. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

petition signed, e-mail written - there has to be a better way.

5. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I get the impression it has been kept a bit quiet. I must admit I was a bit surprised too when I couldn't find anything about it on here because we're all usually right on the ball when it comes to this sort of thing. The above email was sent to me at Dilutes so would no doubt have been sent to other breed societies as well.

6. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Me too, and I agree. Thing is, a better way has even been proposed and doesn't even require effort from the government.

7. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

I have sent emails to every body I know but the one to Minister Hames keeps coming back as undeliverable. I have also sent emails to friends in other countries letting them know what our gov is doing. IT MUST STOP. even if we have to put up a road block.
    Just very upset. Hope we can stop this...

8. Pilbara Chick

Pilbara Chick New Member

I whole heartedly disagree with the "culling" (inhumane slaughter) of horses, feral or otherwise.

I have to say though, it is all well and good posting a petition and pleading with the government departments to put a stop to it, however it looks to me as though there is only one alternative being put forward here. Someone really needs to get in touch with all of the Australian Rescue Organisations, plus their affilliates in order to gain enough support to actually rescue these animals. They need to be removed and rehomed otherwise the problem will not be solved and the cycle will eventually be given the go ahead to re-continue in the future.

Just a thought.

I will definitely be signing the petition and doing all I can to help. A lot of people are of the opinion that wild horses should be culled, as they are feral and inbred. Having had a lot to do with wild horses that have been caught and educated I know that they become placid, hardy and intelligent riding horses. They are worth putting the effort in as the rewards are huge!

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Well I'm in two minds about this...

How on earth are we meant to control numbers if we can't shoot them or truck them off? Your dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

So what will people allow to be done without petition after petition?

I agree though. Humanely trucking wild horses is impossible. There would be hundreds and hundreds of kilometers and no way to provide water without dangerously unloading and reloading. They would be suffering for sure expecially given the heat up there.

This I am against.

But what can be done to control numbers? 5000 is a hell of alot of horses.

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

But how???

They've proved they've got the trucks for it. But how are you meant to find homes for 5000 horses? Or people to take on so many horses to re-home when horse rescue organisations are struggling as it is to find foster homes for genuine neglected and rescued horses?

11. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I agree that it is an awful thing to do. But like Arnie I wonder how you sort this problem out.

Maybe the answer is to create a mobile slaughter house so that the meet is butchered on site and the animals humanely slaughtered. Then freezing the meet for export.

Poor things.

12. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Nice. Very nice. And this from a country that is taking Japan to court for killing whales in our waters, claiming it's inhumane. How hypocritical.
    Gees i hate tree huggers. This is only being done to keep them happy.

I agree with culling, and gelding the rest. The numbers are too high.
    But is there a problem with shooting them on site, and transporting the bodies to be processed? There is no way in hell these horses should be made the suffer such a trip!

And again, how hypocritical, when there are thousands of head of cattle out there. But hey, why are we surprised, they bring in money. The horses don't...

I really hope this can be stopped. But i doubt it will.

13. beks

beks Well-known Member

signed it, now dont want to think about it any more, so hyporcritical that the cattle can stay.:mad:

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

What I would like to know if there is a culling program currently for the cattle that we don't know about. Facts conveniently left out???

15. I was talking to a Danish guy last month, he told me that when their local butcher used to put a notice that horse meat would be available shortly, he has been sold out PRIOR to a horse getting slaughtered. The demand for horse meat in Europe is very high.
    There is money in horse meat and obviously goverment tries to get something for them instead of just wasting carcases.
    In my opinion if wild camels, horses, roos, goats have to be culled, at least they should be processed for human or pet consumption, otherwise it is an awful waste.

16. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

im not sure the best way this should be handled, i am aware that no one seems to care that the cattle are being treated exactly the same way as the horses!
    horses, sheep, goats and cows are removed in large numbers in this way all the time, but you rarely hear ppl trying to save the wild cattle.

yes, there should be a better way, but time, money and convenience means trucking them out wins.

17. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Coliban, let me explain a little. I meant that it's ok for all the cattle to be out there, because their whole purpose is for meat. So it's ok for them to trample and eat everything, because at the end of the day, they make money.

The horses don't make money if left alone. But this way, killing them, they will keep the tree huggers happy, and bring in money at the same time. Two birds.
    The reason too why they are being shipped live and killed at the abattoir. Because it probablycosts less than bringing out people to kill them on site and fridge trucks to carry the meat.
    I'm not saying not to cull, as i do think the numbers are too great. But there is no reason why all of them should be killed.

I have no problem in killing horses for meat. What ticks me off about this, is the transportation. I simply cannot fathom that in the 21st century, in what is meant to be a developed nation, that we still see this kind of treament of animals as ok. The person who authorised this should be charged with animal cruely, sacked and imprisoned. No, i'm not joking.

18. uno

uno Guest

totally agree with sugars mum.
    a mobile slaughter house would be the best way to deal with these horses. emotions aside ..horrific thought destorying so many horses But if they are left they will only double in numbers over the next few years!

19. lollipop

lollipop Active Member

I have seen in person the Lake Gregory horses, they are not "brumbies" and they DO need to be culled as DO the cattle BECAUSE both are of incredibly inferior quality with many "undesirable" conformation traits( both horses and cattle) in fact neither would be worth any money if that is the comparison made.:} Emotional personal outbursts are an interesting human phenomana!!';' I spose many of these horses are no different to peoples "stud" horses.:p The whole save the wild horse thing is beyond a doubt extrodinary when our wildlife of the world is actually endangered and wild cattle and donkeys are treated no differently to wild horses so the question posed is are you "horsey" lovers or "animal" lovers.**)

20. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

well something needs to be done..a petition sure aint gonna stop it...and im not signing it....would you rather they be shot from choppers?';'