Kilkivan Campdraft pics

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Kevinc, May 10, 2010.

1. Kevinc

Kevinc New Member

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the place where campdrafters spend their spare time, but I have posted a couple of photo galleries from Kilkivan Campdraft May 8th/9th, link below :

*removed...not paid advertiser

This was a first campdraft for me and the speed, power and elegance of the horses and their highly trained riders was amazing. Trying to capture that action in harsh sunlight and a dusty evironment, was, shall we say "interesting".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
  2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Hi Kevinc :)
    Wow great photos!
    What camera and lens did you use?

And might I ask where is Kilkivan?

3. domingo

domingo Active Member

yay - some more campdraft pics *#)

4. Kevinc

Kevinc New Member

Kiraspark, thanks for your interest, Kilkivan is actually in South east queensland, a small one pub town about 250km from Brisbane. Is this forum mostly WA riders? I was searching google for an appropraite forum, - most sports have them and this is what came up.
    The organising body is called 'Australian Campdraft Association' but they don't seem to have a chat site attached.
    My camera is a Canon 1DMKIII and lenses used are 70 - 200L, and 100- 400L. Trying to maintain focus on the horse and cattle was they twisted and turned was quite a challenge.

5. coffee lover

coffee lover New Member

Your pics are great we have a lot of one pub towns here in the west as well!!!

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Well, a Canon 1D Mark III, :eek: no wonder they are excellent photos then!! **)

I am in the process of looking for a 70-200 L series f2.8 IS USM lens myself, to upgrade from the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM that I have now. Unfortunately I dont have the 1D to go with it, lol :p

Yes, the ACA have a website, but no chat unfortunately.

And this forum tends to be mostly WA people, but dont let that put you off, we are very friendly and there are several of us campdrafters on here (and many camera enthusiasts ;) ) who will very much appreciate looking at good photos :)

7. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

wow kevinc great shots & yes Domingo how nice to see some more campdraft photos....hopefully without any backlash.
    I love campdrafting & what's more,I love the people who do it -such a great mob of folk from all walks of life!

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

LOL @ Domingo!! *#) :p
    Im a bit frightened to ever put any more up!!!

9. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Me too, Beags, I so agree :)*
    Love my campdrafting friends **)

10. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Ok officially drooling over your camera and the photos!
    Absolutely fantastic!

11. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

just went thru all the campdraft pics and they are FAB!

12. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

the friendliest,nicest lot who never ever would stoop to denigrating their fellow horsemen.:))

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Lovely photos!

Wish I had time to get to campdrafts :(

14. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-known Member

Kevinc- welcome to stockies and thanks for putting your photos up, fantastic quality :) Most people on here will really appreciate them.

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Am loving the first pic of the guy with the sunnies tucked onto his hat - lol - his horse must give him a great smooth ride!

16. Kevinc

Kevinc New Member

Thanks everyone, the way these riders pick out a steer in the yard and guide it around a figure 8 course in 40 seconds is incredible, - part Jedi knight, part voodoo, part luck and part Robert Redford horse whisperer.

17. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-known Member

Ahhh thats where I've been going wrong when I draft, I forget my inner jedi knight lol. It is pretty cool though :) Do you ride yourself Kevin?

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

what wonderful photos !!!!
    thank you so much for sharing
    thoroughly enjoyed looking at those photos
    THANK YOU

19. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Oh no, never!! **choke choke** *#)

20. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

oh smash i just fell off my chair at your sig!
    hahahaha...bonk.....you classic!:D:D:D