Kenoath's abscess has burst......

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by GoneRama, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I feel a "this thread has run its course - closed" fast approaching!:eek:

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Would be disappointing if it did end up that way Cav.

Back on track now.......:}

3. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

GoneRama i think you've managed Kenoath awesomely.
    I have never lived outside of suburbia and have no idea how hard it is to get vets/farriers out when you're miles from anywhere.
    Nature is a wonderful healer and from reading your updates Kenoath seems to be improving with each day... (yes i followed "Puss Watch" haha)
    I hope he keeps inmproving any there are no more set backs.
    Hugs!!

4. PF

PF Active Member

RR, I am not trying to discredit you or myself, I am merely pointing out that you are not the expert you purport to be to assist other forum followers to make the correct discisions about your information and do the research themselves not take your word as gospel if they believe you are an expert.

I am aware the horse has been in pain for a while but GR has stated several times that he is improving - a good sign. While he continues to improve, great - if he goes backwards then time to worry again.

Also, GR has stated that she has him booked in for x-rays - that should help alleviate concerns of internal damage - note I have used the word help as nothing is a certainty (since you like all things to be exact).

RR you have copious amounts of time on your hands to do research on the internet which is great, just a shame you can't share it in a more "user friendly" fashion. I think it is time you researched being nice to people.

By the way GR I think you are doing a great job in adverse conditions. As so many people have already said - don't critisize until you have walked a mile in that persons shoes - no amount of internet reseach can give you an appreciation of how difficult another persons life is.

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

LOL I think there was quite the little band of 'Pus watchers' out there for a while. I still don't get the fascination with pus personally but each to their own *#) :)) I actually have quite a weak stomach when it comes to pus and gore and blood :eek:

6. PF

PF Active Member

That surprises me GR - you seem such a strong person.

7. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I am ok, as long as i am not there having to deal with it... I am terrible with it in real life, I even shut my eyes and squeeled when I had to give my gelding a tetanus booster.
    Pics are fine! lol :D

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Getting stronger mentally yes, but as for blood and guts....forget it!

I am getting better though, I managed to be there when the croc was shot back in the wet season, first time I've been around an animal when it's been destroyed.

Leaving the station one day and one of our mates dogs had wandered off, couldn't find him but we certainly found him on the way out when we heard a pig squealing its lungs out. I flipped, heart was thumping a million miles an hour and I kicked the OH out of the ute to go shoot the pig while I took off back to the homestead to tell them we'd found the dog. I just didn't want to hang around :eek:

Such a whimp at times! :eek: I am working on it though.

I'm with you NaeNae, veterinary pics, no dramas, can look at them all day, in real life and I run a mile!

9. PF

PF Active Member

Doesn't sound like a wimp - sounds like someone who cares.

10. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Bad stance for a discussion forum PF, what you are saying then is therefore only those you deem "experts" are the only ones allowed to express an opinion or argument on a discussion forum! Wrong! I have expressed an opinion and made an argument...now try and discredit it by addressing the argument. Only when my argument is discredited can you made any assumptions about the quality of my information...only when my information is discredited can you comment on the level expertise ;)

I dont want anyone to take anything anyone says as gospel...but there is ways of assessing the quality of information delivered in an argument. Therefore address the quality of my information by discrediting those two claims I have laid out for you to address! Simple...

I havent had to research the internet for the warrants and backings I have provided in my claims, I already knew them. I am actually advising people to do as you say...research for yourself...and hey, the internet is a good place to start considering we are using an internet tool as we discuss!

As for being nice, I am being nice...the receiver of information, especially in the written word, has a responsibility for the interpretation of the senders message! The way you read my words I have no control over ;)

11. PF

PF Active Member

I give up ';'

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Probably best mate ;)

As Cav said, it's probably getting close to a 'this thread has run it's course' message from a mod.

Can we keep it on track please for the benefit of those who are genuinely interested in what's happening with Kenoath?

13. PF

PF Active Member

Agreed GR and I have been reading this thread with interest, learning from your experience and about your way of life. Sorry I got sidetracked by emotion.

Look forward to hearing he is sound at trot in the near future and hope the x-rays show no lasting damage.

14. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

ok well enough already.
    i hate ego & arrogance on these things. some people have it in spades.
    from a vet's perspective, GR you are doing ok. sure, your horse has been lame for 70 + days but shit almighty, so many people have ridden/jumped/competed on horses with back pain for much bloody longer! many many of my clients do far worse in terms of treating their animals & this is simply the way it goes. sure,not right by my way of thinking but full fat soya leave it alone. (who said that...the full fat soya thing anyways...its a cracker) my role is tactful education - no success will come of being like a tonne of bricks.

SO. hoof abscess won't kill anything. treatment up your way has def got it's fair share of drawbacks so do the best you can, with your vet's advice, which apparently you are doing.
    all due respect RR,you're a pharmacist matey not a vet.
    all this garbage about debating skill shits me to tears. really. get off your soap boxes.
    consequences of chronic hoof inflammation & infection are , i'm sure, in the back of GR's mind. she's neither stupid nor ignorant.
    & don't go on about spending $$$$ on horse floats when it could be spent on treatment. better than a lot of horse-owners i know that are surprised when told of putting horse on float to take to a hosptial.
    mods, do us all a favour & can this thread. i'm sure gonerama has taken all the good stuff out that she needs to.

15. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Well my goodness I have certianly missed out on all the action while I have been working horses all day:D. How bloody exciting is all this!! Retroremedy you have some good points there even if they are from your armchair degree (I found this veeery funny). I have a few armchair degrees myself, one is caring for neonates which is a bit scary but has been called upon a few times out bush:p.

Now Gonerama what is the plan? I am a bit lost now where we are up to and where we are heading with Kennoath due to the great deviations of subject that have occurred in the last few pages. He is very lucky he belongs to you because if he was mine he would have been lining the shelves of woolworths by now:eek:. You are much kinder, more patient and far more diligent than me when it comes to these things**).

So where to from here?

16. retroremedy

No they don't but the secondary complications...do....and at the very least are extremely expensive which unfortunately end up in the end of the line for a number of horses.

Excuse me on the qualifications..PhD (google scholar), Masters (google) and Bachelor (yahoo) but then treatment of osteomyelitis is a bit of an interest of mine ;)

Debating tip for you beagle...never lose your objectivity to emotion *#)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  17. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

ego a thing for you retro?
    i know fully well what a hoof abscess will do.;) google BSc & BVMS with honours then if you want to juggle qualifications.
    soap box attached is it?
    emotion not a problem here.

as for osteomyelitis, treated a few more than you have darl. pfft.

& in my mind & knowledge, field experience far outweighs letters after name.
    20 yrs of field experience. full stop.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  18. retroremedy

Another debating tip for you then...don't be hypocritical.

Got to agree with you on the letters after ones name, hence my stance of then not being relevant in a discussion....therefore leaving only the argument. :)

19. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

hypocritical?
    hmmmm.
    yes, best leave the actual correct judgement to those who know then.
    articles & reading does a lot but then again does not replace experience does it?
    & when your "argument" ( as adverse to debate, dear) has field merits, in WA, in this field of experience, you let me know then.

oh dear couch critics are the worst aren't they.

20. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

...sorry to cut in.....

Genuinely interested here, I always thought (although have thankfully never had any experience with them) that once an absess had burst there was almost instant relief for the horse?

Why in this case is has there been such a long period of lameness following the rupture?

Is this why you are concerned about the hoof structure RR?

(sorry GR! hope I havent opened another can of worms in your thread! Im just finding, between the lines, some interesting stuff LOL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.