Kenoath's abscess has burst......

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by GoneRama, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

.....but not where I thought it would.

Ok so I had Kenoath in the yards today and picked up his foot to see what was happening underneath as he's still lame and hidey ho there's a nice little hole in the sole. Got the hoof pick and flicked out some black stuff which looked like seedy toe kinda gunk and obviously he flinched a bit when I tried to flick a bit more of the stuff out.

I have no idea when this has burst out, it's not fresh as in the last few days kinda fresh but now the question is.........how do I deal with it? ';'

Hoping to get some shoes on him tomorrow and we have some neoprene rubber which I was thinking we could put under the shoe to protect the sole for a bit while the hole heals over but yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what next.

Oh yes and I am going to be booking him for x-rays just to make sure there's nothing else lurking beneath.

Photos will come tomorrow.

2. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

I'd personally leave the rubber off as it could stop the abcess from draining out properly and might get a bit messy underneath.

3. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

It may have burst while you were away GR. It may be an 'old' hole. I would scrub it out with a chlorhexidine, betadine or dettol wash and then pour a liberal amount of betadine over it. It would be good to see if you can get it closed over by the wet otherwise it will get really manky.

If you can get xrays done that would be good as it will give you some idea. At least that way if you need to you can look around for another horse and relegate him to paddock ornament. I hope he comes good for you.

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Mmm I was wondering that Jacko. Perhaps leave nature to do it's thing?

GTD I have those spongey bristle things with betadine or some sort of antiseptic stuff in them, wonder if that would do the job......

It does look like it's been there for a while and I think most of the crap has drained out so maybe the healing process is well and truly under way.

5. Cassie 76

Cassie 76 Active Member

Maybe poultice(sp?) it to see if you can draw any more stuff out and to keep it clean**)

6. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Do you still have that boot? If its still open poultice it for a few days to draw out any leftover gunk.

If its on the sole that boot will help keep the bandage on and stop any more dirt getting in there.

If its still open, your main concern is to get any dirt or gunk out of the hoof before it closes over. If it closes over and there is even a tiny bit of dirt in there it will abscess again.

You should only need a few days of drawing it out.

7. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

I agree with GTD give it a really good flush out put some form of antiseptic whatever you may have into a syringe and really squirt it in there. Is the ground dry at all there now or is it always wet? If wet I would be inclined to put a dry poultice on and wrap it in gaffa tape to keep it all dry.

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Troppo I do still have that boot here and looks like it may be time to contemplate wrestling it onto his foot. Yippee.

If the boot don't fit I wonder if I can fashion something up out of a pair of old jeans.

Rrc it is all dry out here now which makes things heaps easier.

9. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Gaffaaaaaa taaaaape...you know you want to....*#)

10. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

Just poltice it for a few days. You will find he is no longer lame as abcesses only cause lameness due to pressure build up, once it bursts he should be fine. I personally wouldn't put a boot on as abcesses are usually the result of hooves getting soft and moisture getting in. I would have him walking on a hard surface during the day if possible to help toughen the hooves. Also you can try a Fermaldhyde(sp) solution as it dries the hooves out. We had major issues with Don's feet when we first got him (6 abcesses in a month) and these were all suggestions from the vet and they did work :)

11. Go the Distance

Did you want me to 'express' post up a Renegade Boot? I have a spare bigger sized one somewhere. It may help keep the dressing on. Just a thought.

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

He's still lame bec but this could be because he is on rocky ground and the rocks probably dig into the opening. He was very flinchy in the yards yesterday when I was having a snoop around with a hoof pick. The yards are dirt and minimal stones so he walks all right in there, out in the paddock is a different story. Still going to put shoes on him because I am itching to take him into Darwin for a hoon.

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

There's an idea, depends how big it is and whether I could put it over a shoe.

14. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

hahah GTD, 'express' post alright

If he is in the dry yard and not getting his foot wet, I got told once to put an old sock over the hoof and tape it over to keep the dirt out?

15. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah I was thinking about getting some old jeans and wrapping the around the hoof and securing around the pattern with some tape or elastoplast.

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Oh yeah and if something is in the mail this morning in WA and 'express' posted then we should, in theory get it by the end of the week.

17. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Hooray! Glad it finally went! :))

Shame he's still lame though :( hopefully the x-rays will give you more of a clue.

Pity you didn't get any gunk pics either! lol! :D

Hope you're hooning around Darwin in no time :))

18. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

glad its burst...hopefully he is on the road to recovery now :)

photos yet??

19. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ok so don't think we are going to wrap the foot but just flush it out with betadine and leave it be. If I can find some stockholme tar then we will put some in the hole.

Will get some pics this arvo when we go to shoe him.

20. Go the Distance

Yeah I know 'express' is used very loosly with me too hahaha!!

You technically can't put the boot over a shoe but if for some reason you can't shoe him let me know how wide his hoof is and I will send you a pair of Renegades the right size. I have a couple of different big sizes spare that are worn but would do for short term.

His a bloody high maintanence ranger isn't he:)?? Drama King Central!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.