Kelpie X Collie dogs

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Babe, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Hellooo

Hellooo Active Member

Shandeh. My dog is the same, when she is off the lead she is fine and wont do anything but when she on the lead if another dog comes up to her she is abit ifyy and your not sure if she will get abit angry. we got her from a dog shelter aswell, so she didnt have a very good start but she alot better now. also she is a doberman.

sorry i was know help about what you asked haha altho i would love a red cloud kelpie, always liked them :)

2. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

you will prob find that there are many dogs who are quite viscious on the lead - certain breeds are worse because they have been bred to be 'area' protectors or 'cage dogs' i.e. protect a certain piece of property including dobermans, rottis etc... remember that majority of dogs will do anything to protect their master and often find being on the lead, meeting another dog to be quite confrontational - can also come from them feeling trapped and having the feeling that they will be unable to get away/fight back if it turns sour. this is part of the reason i cringe when i see owners put their dog straight back on a lead as soon as another dog is in the area at places like the beach, parks etc - they are essentially telling them that meeting another dog is bad...

it is all about the chain of command... same with horses - your animal has to respect you above all - they should be able to trust your judgement and know that they will be safe. obviously there are exceptions (abuse cases, dogs who have been attacked previously) but if your dog is snarly on the lead take it as a compliment, your dog probably loves you and wants to protect you... the most important thing tho is that when you tell them that it is ok, they back down. if they dont - they have insecurities and dont see you as the leader of the pack.

3. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

WEll looks like a mixture of dog temperaments here lol
    Im off tonight to meet the puppies in the flesh ;)
    Have 12 to choose from!!!
    :D

4. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

awwww how cute!!!

we had a kelpie x lab when i was growing up that dog would run for miles...

mum and dad would take her out bush to run along behind the car and dad had a bush 'jog' track in boulder that was somewhere around 14miles long and she would run along him and the pacers all the way out and all the way back...

(tho the little pomeranium (sp) would get two blocks down the road and sit under the tree near the prison and wait for dad to come back and pick him up and he would sit on the jogcart all the way home LOL!!!!)

but yeap i remember that dog she would run and run and run!!!

was the best playmate for us kids too!!!

and very protective too :)

dont forget to post pics of your new puppy!!!

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

noooo don't do it!!

Get the foxie puppy - soooo cute!!

6. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Would love to but the foxie breeder didnt save one for me:( Even though we put our dibs on one a few months back.
    Will go look a these pups tonight and see what the mums look like before we decide on anything**)

7. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I had a short-haired border collie (think he had some labrador in him) - he is my avatar. He passed away last year and was absolutely the best dog I ever owned! He loved swimming, playing ball, squeaky toys and sleeping on the bed :) He was very people friendly and easily trained, never wandered, did like to lunge with my horse (in the opposite direction!) and would round up the chooks. He very rarely barked and was quite happy sleeping if there was no-one to play with him.

I also have a kelpi x border collie. She is a lovely dog too, occasionally barks (not a bad thing) and loves to play fetching the stick. She is not interested at all in rounding things up and is scared of the horses (when she was a puppy we took her shopping in Midland and she got scared of the plastic horse out the front of Horseland!). As a puppy she dug holes and chewed things but not overly destructive, just little chew marks. She is a bit of a sensitive soul and a little wary around people she doesn't know (until they pick up a stick and throw it).

I also now have a 6 month old puppy who was said to be kelpie x border collie... he is definitely kelpie but looks like he has some whippet as well (he looks like a black version of Scooby Doo). He is very active and loves to run. Even though we live on 6acres we still take him for a walk every day. He is absolutely mad but not really destructive (few holes and a little bit of chewing). He does bark a bit more than the other dog and has some very kelpie mannerisms. The only thing he stalks / rounds up is the other dog when she is playing stick. He has just the nicest nature though, he is gorgeous - just mad!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

LOL Double Helix...I am used to mad wiht my foxie.....Im hoping I can get a dog to fit in wiht his character and complement eachother...off now to see pups :D

9. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

When I got my bordercollie-kelpie I already had a 8 year old jack russell and they loved each other the jack was the boss and they would play for hours

10. Hellooo

Hellooo Active Member

buggalugs. everything you said is so right, thats why she does it on the lead cos she cant get away and she to close to us.

we lead our dogs up when we see other dogs. mums really bad with it stresses out about everything and its annoying. she doesnt trust the dogs at all. but i understand we got 3 big dog ( one isnt really ours but she lives with us and has been for a while so she pretty much ours now :) ) and one will bite other dogs becos he has been attacked by another dog before. but mostly becos we dont know what the other dog might do. dont want them to run up and get attacked. so yeah haha

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Hmm...welll..very very cute puppies:)
    But still so undecided.....we have always had fox terriers and its hard for us to go to another breed..
    Will have to sleep on it
    By the way...when we got home our fella decided he loved the smell of puppies on us and had his nose glued to our legs and feet..LOL:)

12. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Thanks everyone for telling me how good (or norty) their kelpie crosses are**)
    I enjoyed hearing the stories!

After sleeping on it...we have decided..

drumrolll

to take home one of the puppies from the other litter the lady had there...LOL

She is by the same father as the other puppies..border collie...but out of a bitsa Mum....Mum has kelpie/collie/boxer...And Dingo in her!! LOL
    WE LOVED the Mum...she was a very loyal and smart girl...and we were really impressed by her laidback temperament:D

So OH picked a gorgeous (well she picked us actually) black and white female..with splotches of brown and white on her face and front legs....
    She is 4 weeks old...will see if I can get some pics at some stage**)
    Thanks again everyone...and I had a lovely email from a stockie too**)...you all really helped!

13. Hellooo

Hellooo Active Member

oh im so glad to here :)
    i think you got a lovely puppy i hope it all works out for you
    which im sure it will.

14. KoolKat

KoolKat Active Member

They are beautiful dogs with a beautiful nature we have one and he is cross eyed they are also very loyal dogs.

15. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Thnaks Hellooo and Koolkat!
    Going back there tomorrow arvo and will take some piccies of her**)

16. Dontey464554

Dontey464554 Active Member

Wheres my invite Babe!! Have to have a puppy visit now when you get her home.

17. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Definitely Dontey**) I still have to make it around to your place at some stage to check out your new arrival! Things are hectic here LOL*#)

18. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

I had a Kelpie x Border growing up. Wonderful dog, lots of energy, smart and everything else that has been said already.