Kelpie X Collie dogs

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Babe, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Can anyone tell me what these dogs are like in temperament?

I have been offered a pup...and have never had this breed.
    We have a small property with room to run....active lifetsyle...horsies (of course) and a fox terrier male that is VERY active and playful! He needs a playmate LOL.
    So any info please;)

2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

If you mean border collie I have just got rid of my pups and believe me they need loads of entertainment and space. I had one that would bark all day when I was in suburbia and had to give it away in the end.

I now have access to hundreds of acres and they just run and run and run PMSL.

3. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I have a kelpie male. He's very full of life, loves to play, has a ball obsession *#) but will come inside and cuddle up on the couch as well. just an all around happy dog. Great with kids and horses but has been around kids and horses since he was a little pup.

He also very possesive of me. My OH isn't allowed to hug me or heaven forbid kiss me if the dog is around. :eek:

4. crumpetsrntyum

crumpetsrntyum Well-known Member

We have a kelpie x border collie, and he is the most amazing dog. So loyal and smart, and he's great with my toddler and cats other dogs etc. He loves to chase anything that runs tho lol. I would get another in a heartbeat, they r great :)

5. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

we have what we believe is a sheltie/collie x kelpie (RSPCA rescue) - needs lots of entertainment and if shes bored then will wander #( can get out of any yard so you really have to be on the ball and keep in mind that they are working dogs and need to be entertained as such :) used to do 20km at least /day with her when we had property just to stop her from taking her own walks...

6. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

The are full of energy and need a lot of things to keep them busy also they benfiet from been trained nothing worse than a feral dog running around *#)

7. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

i have a kelpie blue heeler and you will probably find if it has kelpie in it with out any training it will try and round everything up like the horses , other dogs , and anything that is in a herd sort of situation lol my dog does it so does my mates pure kelpie lol i am not sure bout the border collie side of things but beleive they are very energetic just like the kelpie but a little bit more subtle than a kelpie and the kelpies can bloody jump and i mean jump really well lol my dog can jump clean over cattle yards, normal fences that you have in perth , gates and climbs up things really well aswell ... but the dog will be the most loyal thing you will ever find for a kelpie border collie ... and if its a girl it will be even more loyal than a male that isnt castrated but i would get it if i could lol but i already got 3 dogs

8. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

This is our Bordercollie/kelpie cross he is 3 and is just wonderful most of the time his only fault is that he digs holes we live on 5 acres and have horses so no problem with exercise

[​IMG]

And this is him with our latest addition Jack Russel 8 weeks old he is just great with the pup and puts up with heaps

[​IMG]

9. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

Forgot to mention that is very much on the lazy side and will sleep most of the time but if you happen to get out a sqeeky toy then he is up and running but he is def not your normal energetic round them up type of dog also he is very obedient and smart

10. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Lovely temps...but really full on !

Good luck

Cheers
    Lee

11. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

We used to have a kelpie x corgi. She was the sweetest dog, didn't have any faults. Her only problem was that she went blind and deaf at about 13, but lived till 16 years old :)

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had one once. Was the worst tempermant and unfortunatly she had to go because of it.

However I'd certainly not put it down to her breeding but the fact she was a rescue and must of had hard life before us however we had our first baby due and when the issues come to the surface we wern't in the position to give her our best.

Since then however I vowed never to own another part bred dog and believe they should stay pure! Even though I said its not the breeds fault I often wonder how many bad tempermant dogs could be due to crossing? (however I'd like to see the statistics behind this and compare with purebreds!).

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

In general I have found kelpie crosses to be much more full on than purebred kelpies.

The issues with crosses is you really have no idea what you are going to get. You might get the best of each breed and you might get the worst.

14. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

In my experience, cross-bred "mutts" tend to have better temprements than pure-bred dogs. They also tend to have less physical problems than some breeds, where humans have bred them to have specific characteristics (short legs = bad backs, squashed noses = breathing difficulties and teeth problems).

We have two dogs, 1 kelpie X lab and a kelpie X border collie. The border collie cross is lovely. Very easy to get along with, responds to every command (not like the other one!), doesn't bark, does dig holes sometimes but we don't mind because we don't have a garden out the back or lawn or anything. She's very loyal. I think if you have a working dog (kelpie, border collie or crossbreeds of these dogs) then having another dog and a bit of space is the key to keeping them out of mischief. Our two entertain each other even when we're at work all day, and we're only on a regular block in town.

15. buggalugs

i should probably put that our girl isnt 'hyper' or particularly energetic, but we found that by giving her more exercise we were able to curb her wandering habits, she no longer felt the need to take herself for a walk - in fact anyone who has met our two would think that shes would happily do nothing all day, shes quiet, great with kids, relatively trainable (too friggen smart) and compared to our other dog (who we play 'guess the breed' with haha) she is very un-energetic.

and to enter the pure vs xbred debate - i know more purebreds with temperament/confirmational problems than xbreds... in fact i have had many a vet tell me stories of purebreds with problems when i tell them that my dogs havent seen a vet since they were pups...

16. Seclusion

Seclusion New Member

I have a 6 month old border collie x kelpie. He is very loyal but needs a lot of attention/exercise. He's ok if you wear him out for the day (e.g. weekends) but during the week when we are working, he is not so good. Must make a point that this is my first dog so I am not too cluey on training dogs! He is lovely to go riding with (apart from occasionally trying to round up the horse I am riding) & will follow me everywhere.

17. Archie

Archie Active Member

I have a border collie x kelpie and hes fantastic, loyal, obedient, friendly, very good with children, and other pets, does have a lot of energy and can run forever! hes also very very smart and and a great guard dog.
    Loves cuddles and wants to be with you all the time.
    Great dogs **)

18. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

One of my dogs is a border collie/rottie/golden retriever cross. She's a pretty good dog, very athletic and loves agility when we actually get out and do something about training her, but...

She's unpredictable. Sometimes she just takes a disliking to a person and she'll put on the whole show, and believe me it's scary. She's usually better off lead but there really isn't anywhere close that we can let her off without risking a fine. We can't walk her any more without risking a fine as she gives no warning.

She did have a bad past, partly due to her owners before us not being dog people. We rescued her when I was 5 going on 6 (so nearly 10 years ago now) but to this day she still has issues.

Border Collies are VERY smart dogs but I find they can be hyper and obsessive (all the ones I know are anyway). I don't know a lot about kelpies because I haven't had a lot to do with them, but I've heard they're extremely athletic, smart, and full of stamina.

IMO a person should only have a working dog breed if it gets worked. They're bred to have too much energy and brains for their own good and if that energy isn't channelled into a more constructive purpose they can get destructive. In working dogs training is another aspect that is vitally important - well, in any dog really, but working dogs move so fast and have so much energy that a lack of training is especially dangerous.

I can only speak from my own experience, and in my experience, working dogs are for farms and large properties, not suburban blocks, unless their owners are willing to take them on extremely long walks at least once a day!

19. buggalugs

just something else that popped into my mind reading through all these - dont confuse trainable with smart ;) border collies are some of the 'not so smartest' dogs i have ever come across - the reason they are so trainable is because they are dumb in the sense that they will follow commands and do as they have been trained to do... but then dont necessarily think anything otherwise unlike kelpies ... dont take this the wrong way - love them to bits, its like warmbloods = dumbbloods... they are trainable and can be drilled for hours ;)

and they are very obsessive... turn the hose on and just about every border collie will chase it...

20. SassyTiff

SassyTiff Guest

My parents had a kelpiex blue heeler. dad works alot of hours mum does nothing and promised to put in the time and effort to excersice/train the pup. She didn't. By the time she got round to taking him to puppy class he was almost full grown (but still a pup) and the bad habits had set in. He failed puppy class and training classes. Anyway he spent 2 years out the back with lack of training and no proper exercise. So he got very viscous (due to lack of handling i put it down to). He bit mum real bad so dad had him put down. Sad story for what could have turned out to be a great dog.

So having said that they do require alot of exercise. So if your prepared to put in the work to keep your dog happy then yes go for it :)