Kelmscott-Rolyestone fire

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Kiwigirl, Feb 6, 2011.

1. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

GiGi the main armadale evacuation center is at Armadale Arena so if you want to take stuff down I would say they would be incredibly grateful! Last night it looked so packed and I can imagine its only gotten worse :(

2. Rmaciwi

Rmaciwi New Member

Hi, i've just got back from the evac centre in Armadale and they had loads of bedding/sheets etc. They need funds so that absolute necessary items can be purchased as needed. Can everyone watch out for vandals - they are in every suburb - someone has smashed all the cars windows that have been parked out of harms way - can't recall where but mentally ill/agressive people only know how to destroy others (because they are suffering themselves for other reasons). Keep items secure out of view if possible.

3. deelee

deelee Well-known Member

Mum and Dad are just off Clifton Street towards Brookside/Ciro Rd so not much chance of them getting back in. I have heard they will be locked out till Wed. Have also heard there is no damage on their street.

4. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

The guys have pretty much got the fire here on this side of the hill contained for the moment.... however there is very little breeze. A lovely loader driver came through to build a fire break, did an excellent job even though he had pretty much zero visability**)

5. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I heard the same thing on another radio station. They were saying that all the donations and ppl dropping in were getting in the way? They need money now not clothes etc

6. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

I just heard also on radio that its still out of control....those poor people that have lost everything :(

7. GiGi

GiGi Guest

I'm working in Armadale, and we can't even see or smell smoke ! It's quite bizarre to think that there is this massive disaster just a few km's away. Been listening all day on 7.20 AM, excellent coverage and doing a great job of informing the public **)

8. jessmo

jessmo New Member

any news on scott rd???

9. miss moo

miss moo Active Member

i know its probably a bit late but if anyone needs horses moved i have a double float and will pick up and drop off where needed. dont hesitate to call

hope everyones doing ok

10. frick :(
    this is so horrible

for people interested my mum is being transferred to RPH to spinal trauma unit

11. deelee

deelee Well-known Member

Oh no! Our thoughts are with your mum.

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Lots more (((hugs))) Aly.

Again, not necessarily bad news though ;) Going to a specific spinal trauma unit means she will be in an area where they are geared to help people with rehabilitation from spinal injuries. That is much better than being in a general hospital with doctors/nurses who are not necessarily 100% on all the latest spinal treatment options :) You knew yesterday that she had spinal damage so that hasn't changed just now she is going somewhere that can give her the best help possible :)

13. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

Thoughts are with everybody who has been affected. I hope no lives have been lost.

Sending healing vibes to aly's mum. I hope she recovers soon.

14. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Aly with the amount of stockies keeping your mum in their thoughts and sending best wishes and healing vibes, she couldn't not be back on her feet soon. :) Hugs.

The news said the fire is contained for the moment but certainly not controlled. Still a big risk of spot fires turning it to hell again though.
    The wind having dropped off this arvo as been the biggest saving grace.

15. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

Its all thats on the news over east atm. Which is good.. its keeping me updated. I think its a bit much to expect TV coverage in this type of emergency. Radio is far more reliable and can get updates quicker. It's really dangerous area with all the steep hills and valleys etc. I think its just best if TV crews keep out of the way... But thats just my opinion..

So sad to hear just how many people I know have lost everything :( Such kind people.. they didnt deserve this..

I also feel for the person who used the grinder that started it. Imagine the guilt he will suffer :( Thankfully there has been no deaths and its starting to come under control now..

16. We have been advised by one of the fire crew that our area should be safe enough but they advised leaving the horses for now, and not to bring them home until tomorrow due to the real risk of the wind flaring it up again and how it could really go in any direction.

17. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

Just log back in on the PC, watch the news at 5pm, 59 houses confirmed gone and further 19 damage at this stage and this is from ABC News

"Financial help

Premier Colin Barnett says the situation is extremely dangerous and continues to be so with a major loss of property and extensive damage to public infrastructure.

Mr Barnett says the Government has made $3,000 available immediately for families who have lost their homes and $1,000 is available to families whose homes have experienced significant damage.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has also indicated that those who have lost their homes in the Perth bushfires may not be required to pay the flood levy.

Victims of the Queensland floods and Cyclone Yasi have already been exempted from the $1.8 billion levy.

Ms Gillard says the Government will consider whether to extend the exemption to include bushfire victims, but it is too early to make a final decision".

Is the PM for real? saying its to early to let the people of the WA Bushfires of from paying the flood tax! She needs to pull her head out of the sand and wake to realise people here in WA have also losted property and are now suffering.

Guess what I'll be sending the PM another e-mail and my local MP about this crap attitute being exhibited from Canberra towards WA about our disasters.

18. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

They're politicians. The wheels turn slowly. They must spend many hours and many dollars debating the merits of such a decision *#)

But the news I saw showed the PM saying that those who had been so so badly effected by these fires will likely be exempt from paying the flood levy :confused: ';'

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2011
  19. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I am so emotional right now! Prepare for a long and emotional post now I am finally home!

I am absolutely blessed to have such amazing people in my life. We went away on Friday arvo, had a beautiful day Saturday and Jeremy proposed Saturday evening, I was the happiest girl alive. Then Sunday arvo and bang, "oh there is a major fire near your house!" By the time I heard some amazing people were already here and the horses were already out.

My HUGEST thanks to Charlotte and her hubby Jimmy, Charlotte was here helping Mum as well as trying to get the neighbours horses out. I just found out Jimmy helped stop the fire hitting our street, it was right behind us.

Brenda, Jennifer and their Mum, how can I thank you guys enough? They organised the fillies to go and floated them for us as well as helped load the boys, Noddi didn't make life easy as he was terrified of the helitanks.

Lorraine, I have never met you but thank you so much for getting a float up here in case and trying to load the neighbours horses. Typical that Zoe's float just happens to have the floor being replaced right now.

Our new neighbours Oscar and Mandy. We hadn't met them yet they had their 4WD here, hooked my float up and took the boys to their safety. What a housewarming for them!

Tara and Kiara, amazing friends. They are housing the boys, my Mum and the dogs, thank you so much. They came with us to the info session this morning, saw the sadness of those around us etc.

Jill and James, again amazing friends. They are housing the fillies for us and we spent the day with them today. They were also prepared to take all 4 of the horses but its great we could split them so they only had to take in 2.

And absolutely everyone else who has messaged me on Facebook, here, my phone has gone non-stop, it ran out of charge and I forgot my charger! Got it on charge this morning and away it went again, even my awesome friend in New Zealand was on the phone. We have so many offers of places to put the horses, dogs and ourselves, we are so truely grateful and don't know how we can ever thank everyone enough.

We have been VERY lucky, our home is untouched and we are back here on watch but should be ok. Some of our neighbours have not been so lucky, it was heartbreaking to see those who have lost their homes this morning. Tomorrow I hope to be able to offer some help to those who have lost so much.

Also, I am disgusted at the 'sight see'ers' who asked if we minded if they cut through our property and through the back fence so they could see the fire behind us. Coventry St is closed FOR A REASON, no you may NOT go through our property to get in the way!

20. QLD rider

QLD rider New Member

I think disasters bring out the best in some people who rise to the occasion and think of others but in others, it brings out the worst. What wonderful and amazing people to help you when you couldn't be there. Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes.

Have spoken to mum and dad on cockram rd, all was well there at 5pm and the fire had gone back up over the hill. Hopefully the east wind doesn't bring it back again.

I hope all residents remain safe and no further homes damaged.