Jumps racing...Another Dead

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by sherridin, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

I never said racing wasn't a fulltime job, I said JUMPS RACING on it's own is not fulltime for the majority of people.

Jumps racing only prolongs the inevitable, failed flat horses are going to get dogged anyway - BUT they do stand more of a chance being rehomed as a failed flat racer at 3 or 4 than a broken, failed jumps racer at 7 or 8 years.

Giving horses a so called second chance at jumps doesn't cut back the number of horses dogged each year. Thats up to the breeders, less horses bred less horses dogged. Awareness also needs to be made to owners of racehorses etc, more organisations like the racehorse outplacement program will help rehome former raccehorses. Jumps racing does very little to stop failed flat horses from being dogged.

All equestrian sports have their risks, racing has a huge risk to the lives of horses and humans but the risk of jumps racing is too high. Too many horses die, it's unacceptable.

I know some of you won't agree with and thats fine, but do yourself a favour - do some research, the facts are there have a look.

2. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

So what happens to the jumps racing horses after they retire from that or fail at it? They go to the knackery anyway don't they?

3. Banjo01

Banjo01 New Member

Well yes, because by then, they are much too broken to be re-homed, visibly because of race injuries due to the strain of the actual races, and the combination of training as well.
    It is much much harder to re-home a jump racer than a flat racer because of that reason.

4. Newman Racing

Newman Racing Active Member

:)* Ok my question, is there not enough prize money in jumps races? why would a trainer send a ill prepared horse out ? Wouldnt they want there horse to do well and come back sound ?

5. cisco kristy

cisco kristy Well-known Member

yea I was watching the race on sky, He fell n looks like he broke his neck#( poor thing

6. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

I have to disagree with you sherridan....one of my friends is a jumps trainer, and he works at it year round. Yes, Australia only has 'chases a few months every year, but that doesnt change the fact that they work all year. Now he is one of the trainers who lost a horse this year.

The horse he lost, was his first loss on the track in ten years of training. As you said any equestrian sport is dangerous, so should we ban jump racing, flat racing, polo, eventing, showjumping? A few horses have died from injuries recieved from them, so why not ban them too.

7. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

Hmm from someone who used to be quite Involved in racing, and I have and will defend flat racing Etc I'm not a huge fan of jumps racing. Something is missing with it here in Australia whether it's that the horses arnt prepped properly or that the jumps arnt high enough... It currently isn't right.

And really, at the end of the day majority of the jump horses get put down... Would you want a failed 4yo flat racer or a busted down 8yo jumper? Imagine the problems with there legs etc!

8. sherridin

You cannot in any way what so ever compare jumps racing to any other equestrian sport. Yes horses get injured in ever sport - but nowhere near in the numbers they do in jumps racing. This includes jumps, chasing, hurdling whatever you want to call it all over the world.

Have a look at Death Watch.

I'm saying ban it because right now it's not humane. Spider n Toby is correct. There is something wrong with it. 1 in 20 starters are killed in races and that is just unacceptable. I'm not at all having a go at flat racing, I am an avid enthusist, follow and employee - but in Australia there is just no room for it (jumps that it).

Everyone is entilted to their opinion - I'm just stating mine. But please, look at it from an objective view.

9. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

I dont like it either #( i watched it once and never again.. :mad: Once one horse falls in front and then the rest pile over the top like dominos#(

Dont know how anyone can agree that it's ok #(

10. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

i dont like it at all...

i do not understand why you would send numerous horses at a galloping pace around a track and make the jump TOGETHER over a fence.

Reciepe for disaster IMO :}

ETA- this may sound stupid... but ....

When Runners run, they each have a lane at the start and move into the closest part of the track, except for hurdles, where they all start and stay in their own lane... why ? jumping is involved.

imagine a 400m hurdles, and instead of each running having the own lane, and own jump they all have to jump the same hurdle, but obviously its a little bit bigger.... they are all going to want to get the inside track, they arnt going to stop and wait for eachother to jump over it.
    they want to win.. you can imagine the falls people would have if 6 runnes jump a 2/3/4 meter hurdle at once? why do we do it to the horses?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  11. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I think correctly, trained and prepped etc... There is a place for it - Over in England the death statistics are apparently MUCH lower... however i'm pretty sure it is WAY bigger, and alot more "thought" etc goes into it.

12. sherridin

And another one again yesterday :mad:

RIP Shine the Armour.

13. jgs

jgs New Member

watching jumps in UK the jumps appeared to give more if the horses hit them but that was many years ago haven,t watched jump racing in Australia

14. Toyz

Toyz Well-known Member

Yes i seen that, i wasn't sure if it was the same one you were talking about!

:mad:#(#(

15. sunline

sunline Well-known Member

Last edited: May 5, 2011

16. OK this question is asked PURELY out of curiosity as I don't know the answer...

WHY would careers and jobs be lost, why can't the jumps racing people do flat racing instead? Is there somethiing I don't know about that prevents people in jump racing from doing flat racing?

Also I don't understand Leti's comment. When they finish jumps racing, what happens to them? Isn't jumps racing more or less putting off the inevitable anyway? Horses aren't bred specifically for jumps racing, jumps racing is their 'second chance' at racing... so why would it make any difference to the number of horses dogged or rehomed?

Again these questions were asked PURELY to get answers... I actually would like to know.

17. sherridin

It does only put off the inevitable. Jumps does give them a second chance at racing but they either end up dead on course or in training, at the knackers anyway or injured enough to be PTS. They still don't get a forever home or a happy retirement.

SOME jobs will be lost. There are around approx 20 stables that ONLY do jumps horses. Maybe the trainers aren't good enough to train successfully on the flat? I'm not entirely sure. There was a great article I saw yesterday written in light of what happened at Warrnambool. I'll go see if I can find it again.

18. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

ended up over the fence....more like Jumped it beautifully! that horse will sell for a fortune now! end up in a very nice flash home...

and before anyone says anything, that horse obviously was not driven by 'fear'. It would have smashed through the fence or come to a screeching halt. it set it self up pretty darn good and showed off its scope! Looked quite happy till it saw the crowd it was landing into..which OBVIOUSLY was a freak accident. if you see the size of the jumps it usually jumps, they are under half the size of that brush wall.

19. sherridin

Yeah, was a very impressive jump! Not driven by fear at all, very bold. One could only hope that a top and rich show jumper goes and picks him up before he becomes another statistic.

Yes, it was a freak accident but but that still doesn't excuse the fact that out of 8 starters only 2 finished with riders aboard. The Grand Annual is supposed to be the most prestigeous race of the carnival and it was nothing more than an EPIC FAIL!

What happens now? I wonder if the carnival will get the same numbers next year with the realisation that being a spectator is dangerous? (not that it really is but accidents happen)
    Do spectators want to see multiple horses fall and potentially get killed?
    How long until a jockey dies?

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

20. sherridin

There is some great journal articles written on jumps racing and flat racing.

The international symposium of the prevention of thoroughbred racehorse fatalities and injuries

Risk of fatalities and causes of death of thoroughbred horses with racing victoria.

That just to name 2, see I can find some others I've read.