John O'Leary training methods?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Serenity, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

I am interested in people opinions on the John O'Leary training methods?

How it has / hasnt worked with your young horses just being started?

I have seen a few of his short u-tube videos on the net and it looks great - and was just wondering if anyone else has used his methods and got these kind of results he has shown?

Any opinions appreciated. **)

2. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

Big thumbs up from me, common sense horsmanship at it's best. I got a friend onto his mouthing method and helped her re-mouth her OTTTB who was a ghastly piece of work. Along with his mouthing system and good old ground manners training, she has become a pleasure to deal with and is a beautiful soft ride. On top of that John is a great guy and Linda is awesome too.**)**)**)

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

On another forum I had 2 people attempt to bag out the great mans work with out any offer or examples of how they can do it better.

Proof is in the pudding, my mare Chantelle broken in using his methods, 4 months later competing in hand and ridden at the Royal show and went home reserve Champ.

I have every single on of his videos, most of his gear, and to be honest, I rarely find the need to look to anyone else these days for advice.

His methods are not new, he will tell you that, however he has a gift to teach, which I dont, the videos are well worth the money.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I also appreciate that if he finds something/someone who's method is even more sensible...he's the first one to bring it to all his fans attention.

I wouldn't go to anyone else for first hand guidance, and appreciate that he takes the time to answer all emails - personally even :D

5. Serenity

Wow, thanks everyone, that is great
    **Now thinks more seriously about purchasing some of his videos:)

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i have his stb and leg yielding dvd, next to buy is the mouthing one, then everyother one, i love watching them and have started teaching billy legyield, within a few dies he was 100%better at a 20m circle than when i got him,

7. Spring

Spring Active Member

He is absolutely amazing!!! even for us dressage people :)

The breakers over here that use his methods are also fantastic and will have all my babies in the future!!!!

8. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

It is great. i have broken in 2 ponies using the mouthing system and it really works. I swear by it. Look at my link Update My New Pony and you'll see how good she is going using his method

9. WHH

WHH New Member

Hi Serenity,
    My husband and I have a business starting and re educating horses professionally. Fred only uses John O 'Leary's mouthing system and also uses his leg restraint training systems and teaches all our horses here to leg yield John's way. Plus a whole lot of other methods that he learnt off John! Fred also assisted John and Linda at the two Perth clinics they held over here in 07 and 08.

We normally have between 8 and 10 horses here for starting or re educating all the time, so if you wanted to see John's systems in action please feel free to come and say hi and have a watch anytime. Most days Fred will be doing all of the above with several different horses so it would give you an idea anyway.

Doing this as a business, we can definately also vouch for the added safety in using John's methods! Thanks, Rach.

10. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Does he have any advice on a horse that occasionally likes to rear?

11. dun

dun Active Member

Another fan

I am with Sharaway and the others on this as I have been to his clinics here in Perth plus I went to his place in SA last year and had a ball :)*
    Has done nothing but get my horses sold quicker and trained better.
    I own all DVDs and tack from him. His bridles and saddles are great.
    Horsemanship and common sense and no ego will get you happy and horses happy I reckon :)* Straight talkers are right up my alley LOL
    Cheers
    PS Rearing is a last resort for a horse. It is also the most dangerous thing a horse can do.The training to stop a bad rearer has to be spot on as I was taught.Confidence to do it is a definate so as I dont know you or what you want to do I suggest you read Johns article on his site and go from there once you have read it. And always be honest with yourself.Hope that helps.

12. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Another vote for his trainging methods here**)**):), i have mouthed my colt his way, and he is great.

I bought his dvd after Sharaway suggested it - THANKYOU BTW :) its awesome, so informative, easy to understand, and very easy to do your self, i was in no rush to mouth my youngster, as he was only a yearling but i wanted him shown in a bridle for the arab states last november, so jsut gradually started mouthing him, i aim to have to the whole set of dvds soon enough, and go from there.

would love to go to one of his clinics when hes over next

13. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

I am another supporter of his methods - especially his mouthing method. **)

I tend to take bits from many great horsepeople and use what suits me at the time depending on the horse I am currently working with, however I can definitely say my girl will certainly be mouthed using this method.

14. Serenity

Thanks for your reply to my thread. So far I have heard some really great feedback, and I am honestly really impressed.
    I would love to take you up on your offer to come and say hi and have a watch. (Will probably be in the school holidays - when I am not teaching). I have a yearling filly and I want to do the best by her, and I am liking Johns methods more and more. :)

15. Serenity

Thanks casperjesse, I will be watching you thread with interest :)*

16. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I used his methods to mouth Tally and I have a horse that is soft in the mouth, responsive and we have our air brakes well and truly established (air brakes being the one rein stop).

Next purchase is the green horse DVD once I have paid off Tally's vet bill as I believe that will take us up that next level.

Serenity, check out Tally's training thread, as I described lots in that as well :)

17. Serenity

Thanks Andhi, I thought you had used his system, so it's great to get feedback from you. I will definately be reading Tally's training thread now**)
    I have just ordered the mouthing DVD's so I am really excited!!!!

18. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

its definately worth it, you will be so pleased

19. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Another fan here :)

I used there method in 2004/05 to start (restart) my wb. My horse had already been to a breaker with the breaker telling me to put him down as he was too dangerous etc. That breaker hadn't even got to that stage of putting a saddle of him so he was still very green when started him.

Anyway he was a very easy horse to start - never learnt to buck, rear etc. I learnt his method from the book he had then (no dvd'd back then) so i can't really recommend it enough.

20. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

how often do they come over here for clinics id beffinatly be intrested in going next time they come over