jockeys strike

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by tammy07, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Well I'm going to stick my neck out here and say ban the use of all whips across the board. and if the outcome of this is more horses failing on the track so be it, then the trainers maybe forced to review their training practices and find another way to make their horses run to their full ability, ( hopefully legally and humanely) I have never agreed with the use of the whip and never will. To say the whip is a go forward tool or aid is crap, its used with force, and to say it doesnt cause pain or discomfort is well lets not go there. When horses are treated and handled properly they will be willing to give 100% and then there they are trying their best when they get a cut with the whip, would that not piss you off? not only are you running as fast as you can,( which may not be fast enough) but you are getting hit for it. Just go the the races and stand near the finishing post an hear the whips being used thats not a gentle asking its a forcing.

2. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

That's fine Big Red, how about banning whips in all horse sports then? I have to say that the worst whip abuse and spur injuries I have ever seen was at a polo-cross tournament.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Oh Bec would love to see that too!!!

4. mav

mav Well-known Member

i am sorry but that is a gross generalisation there... i use a whip with my boy - and i can tell you i NEVER use it with force. he knows full well i carry it to reinforce my aids - he is young and gets distracted easily and i use it get his attention on what he is doing. i never belt him - even when he is feeling 'playful' and trying to double barrell me at dinner time he doesnt get belted... not from me anyway. my mare full on belts him and has left hoof marks.. i'd say that would hurt a heck of a lot more then my 70 odd kilos 'forcing' him with a whip!!

have you also watched them coming down the straight from in front? only the odd blow actually falls on the horses, majoriy are cicular motions or waved in front of their eye...

5. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

So True!! :)*

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Mav I'm not against whips used as aides as they are used lightly.
    I really cant see a comparison between another horse kicking a horse in a paddock and the using of a whip, sorry
    I have seen alot of head ons and I too see the waved whips but I also see the ones that connect.
    Also I meant when I said across the board I meant the racing codes sorry

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

KP, Thanks for that, The one you said may well have been the same one he was talking about, we were talking at a motocross race day so it was very noisy and I thought he had said the guy was disqualified but perhaps he was just warned.

Friend did comment though that he hated seeing the whip marks on the rumps of some of these horses every time they came in from a race, (said in some cases it was quite shocking) which is why he, as a trainer, would rather they were banned altogether.

Big Red, I agree with you.

8. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

why big red?? seems pretty obvious to me. :confused: of course its not exactly the same
    i have been at many straights and finishing posts, cant hear much over the thundering hooves ;)

that is exactly true.
    of course there are people that well and truly go overboard, but by no means is that limited to TB racing. Jockeys are fined and suspended if they abuse the use of a whip, I have never seen disciplinary action taken in a show.

Big Red - So which comment are you sticking to? :confused:

9. manocaaron

Just had a thought....
    every weekend I watch my boys go and race motocross bikes, they are each 1 rider among 40 other starters, out the gates and all 40 of them are racing to the first corner, which is usually a lot narrower than the width of the start grid. then around the track, over jumps and sharp corners for a 10 minute race, which is approximately 7kms.
    How many times do we watch them and know that they could be doing a little better or going faster down the straight....lots, they're only kids and they ride thier own race,
    but maybe...... I could put one of those electronic 'zapping' dog correctional collars around thier necks, (or wherever) and when they need a bit more of a push, we could zap them!!!!
    Yey, Im sure it would work!
    That is as long as it didnt distract them from what they were doing or put them under pressure to do more than they were physically capable to do!!!

A totally hypothetical point.

10. manocaaron

Hi Siren ;) Just to clairify that the Arabian Horse Association has brought rulings in with disiplinary action on handlers who use the whip excesivly, and also for handlers who have horses that behave in ways that indicate they have been trained or handled in an overly rough manner. I cant find the article with the listed behaviour, but it did involve adult horses who 'gummed' at their handler (like a foal does) horses that reared and sought to strike, handlers who jagged the chains for no reason etc etc

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'm sticking to the comment whips should not be used in all racing codes

12. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

big red, you wtach a race and majority of the time the whip isnt eve connecting with the horse its just the action that gets them forward. horse racing is the biggest industry in australia, to have horses being retired because of this new rule would really bring it down. there seems to be alot of " oh animal cruelty, it hurts them it hurts then" come down work at the stables for work and come to the races, then tell me how you feel...

13. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I reckon you might have to run,I'd bet they would have a bit to say after the race!!! lol

14. manocaaron

"oh animal cruelty, it hurts them it hurts then" come down work at the stables for work and come to the races, then tell me how you feel... "

How many of you put fly rugs on your horses in summer?

Why do you do that?

Do Fly bites hurt?

I think if a horse is hurt by a fly bite, then yes a whip does hurt too,

Im not against the use of a whip as a training aid when used correctly, but in racing some people have ruined it for the rest and to cover all bases, ban them altogether!

15. manocaaron

I reckon you might have to run,I'd bet they would have a bit to say after the race!!! lol

LOL Big Red, Id still have the controller!!!

16. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I have spent many years in the racing industry, working, breeding, racing and as an owner.
    I think it would be sad to think that horses would be retired because the horses full potental couldn't be shown unless the whip was used
    We invented the wheel surely we can think of a way to get a horse to give its all in a race

17. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

You are nasty...............................but i like it!!!!!!

18. Jez

Jez Gold Member

While DG is giving me confidence on this coast seems east coast trainer wants to go it like a pitbull #(

Lot of heated words, lets hope the ARB and AJA are left to deal with the WHIP issue and other issues are left out of the meetings.

As far as banning whips altogether goes, great, fine, but I would like them banned from everywhere if thats what some parties are baying for - and that includes the kids at ponyclub - stop making them alltogether. Just remembered the only time ive ever been asked to climb aboard a horse and been handed spurs was......polo.

19. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Banning the use of whips totally is probably not the solution. If it was the case, some trainers would just resort to "other" training methods. These would be far more inhumane!*#)

Some horses do need more persuading than others to run out a race, and the whip encourages this. It is rather hard to train a horse to give its all under race conditions without a whip I guess? :confused:

Only a handful of horses can/do naturally run on their own merits and win because they have that killer instinct to win! That is something you can not train a horse to have!

Racing is very political and its driven by the $$$$$$$ !! It will be about compromise and you can't make everyone happy.:}:))

20. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Thats good to hear Manocaaron, see Im not into the show scene, but have seen plenty of times at ag shows etc, horses getting a flogging for god knows what reason..... good to hear that something is done about it. It just goes to show though, that cruelty with whip use is everywhere, it is just completely wrong to single out the TB racing industry. And nearly everyone who has commented on the big bad racing game has had nothing to do with it. Of course there are harsh trainers and jockeys out there, they should not only be banned from using a whip, but banned from doing their job full stop if found guilty of cruelty. BUT IT IS NOT THE ENTIRE RACING INDUSTRY.

Big Red - Why do you have the opinion that its only racing that should ban whips? Have you ever been to a jockey training session, where they get on the mechanical horse and learn how to use the whip, with out hitting the horse? Have you worked in a racing stable? What is the difference of whip use on a racehorse compared to any other discipline? It has nothing to do with the sport itself, but INDIVIDUALS that abuse it, and they are found everywhere.