jockeys strike

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by tammy07, Sep 10, 2009.

1. tammy07

tammy07 Well-known Member

what on earth has happened i know its about the whip rules but geezus a strike was looking forward to the races today even had a horse form work racing at northam which i was looking forward too

2. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I'm surprised the drivers at the trots haven't gone the same way.

It's such a shame as I know many horses that "need pursuasion" will end up going to meet their maker that otherwise could have continued racing if the whip rules hadn't changed. I'm sure it makes all the bleeding hearts feel better that the horse isn't given a few smacks with the whip - even though behind the scenes many more wont make the grade.

I agree that hitting a horse that is losing ground is out of line, but most jockeys and drivers dont do that anyway. I wonder how long it will be before punters complain that "their horse wasn't ridden out" etc. If betting declines then we're all in trouble!

3. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

whats happened exactly? this is the first i have heard of any strike?

4. tammy07

just saw on sky racing its about how many times they are allowed to hit the horse not sure if thats all it is

5. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

anyone know how long for?

6. tammy07

they are hoping just for today summer they are in meetings now about it

7. Freestyle

Check out RWWA website - there's an article about it there.

8. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

its said on the news the jockey are on strike untill the rules are changed.dont take my word though

9. tammy07

hopefully they can sort something out with this meeting theres one up side all the apprentices get all the rides the jockeys wouldve had

10. Clever Jev

Clever Jev New Member

They're all going back to riding until Monday, when there'll be another meeting with the ARB :)

11. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

I completely agree with you Bec,
    the drivers should have done it long ago, and although they are united in their anger, they dont seem to have the courage and power that the jockeys hold.

And, yes, there will be lots and lots and lots of horses available to have as riding horses over the years to come, because of their expicit need of persuasion which can no longer be enforced.

12. Jez

Jez Gold Member

In the short term....owners bore the cost of todays action....in the long term...WHO other than the jockeys have the ability to bring racing to a dead stop in an instant all over the country to get the ARB to come to the table and LISTEN to what they are saying and why.

Id be pissed as hell having driven a couple of hundred ks to northam to not see a horse that cost me a float trip to run in a race that didnt take place because the jockeys walked off the job. Absolutely spewing...we already have a bottleneck trying to get a start (on both sides of country lol) today is going to make it worse, its impact will be felt for a few months, having a horse cherry ripe for a run and needing a pipe opener and transporting it there only to have nothing happen will require altering of training schedules (exacerbated by the bottleneck of noms) and its likely that some horses are going to have to go out for a spell simply because they cant get a run.

In the LONG term...if the TBRHOA in every state had demanded meetings with legal representation with the ARB to have their greivances about the whip rules heard - it would never happen. If every trainer in australia said...im not working a horse today so the arb sit up and listen to what the entire industry is trying to say.....it would not bother the ARB one little bit. Trainers still have to pay staff and feed horses if they train or not.

The jockeys on the other hand can singlehandedly make ARB buckle and have no option other than to negotiate.

As an owner i am going....its a pain in the bum but, well, we survived EI we will survive this, just a speed bumb in the strange and deranged mistress that racing is....As an Aussie im thinking if our Jockeys here didnt go out...that would make them scabs. They have forced the ARBs hand which might not be a bad thing in the long run....but id be throwin a MASSIVE tantrum if i was in northam or kilmore or packenham or bloody oodnadatta today.

Interesting days ahead.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  13. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

OK so im not a racing person (opposite infact) but its all over the news etc...

What i dont get is... so the rule states you cant hit the horse more than once every 3 strides in the last 200m right? Can you IMAGINE if dressage horses were hit with the whip every 3 strides? Or show jumpers? Its simply ludicrous just thinking about it!

And the other thing i dont get is the 'padded' whip debate... the jockey on the radio today said that the whips 'dont hurt the horses' - well how do they work then? If it doesnt hurt them (i mean temporary sting, not long term pain) why does it make them run faster (supposedly)?

I carry a whip nearly every ride, a long one for dressage and a short one for jumping. In dressage teh long whip is there to back up the leg aid, to tap and say 'hey you listen to my leg!'. Both can on the odd occasion be used to get you out of a sticky situation such as get the horse over a jump or get him moving forward out of a rear/buck etc. There is no way i would be using it every 3 strides though! Very rarely have i used it jumping, and in dressage its a tap tap not a smack smack - about same pressure as the whip or leg aid.

Why dont horses run fast enough without smacking them? And why does smacking them make them run faster? If the whip is a form of discipline (as it can be used) surely smacking them for running is counter productive? Or is it just to create fear (even if only in moderate amount) and adenaline?

14. Freestyle

The whip is used the same as when riding - simply to re-enforce an aid. In this case it is the forward aid. The jockeys aren't permitted to continue hitting a horse that is losing ground (and rightly so), but it is used to encourage the horse to give it's all. A good jockey knows when to use the whip and when to encourage using only hands and heels. It completely depends on the horse.

I think that the jockeys are upset that they can get punished for trying to get the best out of their horses (and yes, some horses need to be hit!). Also, what would happen if the horse began to run out in the straight and the jockey had used up his "number of hits". Does he simply let the horse run out and knock over the field?

I dont think that a maximum number of hits would be the best way to deal with the issue at all. Perhaps just really crack down on those that continue hitting the horse when their run has come to an end.

15. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

i agree with bec.. no good jockey(or driver for that matter) will keep hitting a horse once its run is over... theres no point to it, and they SHOULD be penalised for this. but if the horse is in contention to win the race, surely they should be using as much"encouragement" as they can?? (i in no way or form support abusive use of the whip, but if two horses are going stride for stride, and one jockey ahs a whip and the other doesnt.. who is going to win?)
    Also, i can see the more dodgy trainers thinking up other methods of giving their horses a cue to GO in training that can be backed up in a race.

16. Freestyle

Absolutely #(

17. himitsu

but surely the aid only needs reinforcing if the horse is not listening to it? IE when i ask my horse to say canter on, if he doesnt and continues to walk i might give a tap with the whip. But surely the horses are already galloping, and at what point is it the horse being lazy, and what point is it the jockey asking beyond the capability of the horse?

and that doesnt answer the "oh the whip doesnt hurt them" argument (which i believe is bollocks!)

18. himitsu

I guess what im saying is that if the horse is trying (which i believe they do - they are competetive animals) what use is hitting them if not to cause fear and adrenaline? Punishment just because they cant run as fast as the next horse?

19. amber sunday

i also believe the whip doesnt hurt them is bull... because why else woudl they use them.. but the whip hurts a lot less then an electric shock im sure..
    jockey is asking beyond the capability of the horse when horse is trying its hardest, yet still dropping back through the field(imo).
    and as to the last comment i dont know what to say lol.. its very true, yet if they didnt have whips at all, i just cant see the same times beign run in races.. which yes may be alright if every horse in the field is even with no whips, but then what happens to all the records set in past years, do they just start up a new record book or what??
    (sorry himitsu not trying to be argumentative lol hard to get across tone of voice through typing :p)

20. amber sunday

btw.. if using the whip causes adrenaline, that would make them run faster, so woudl that be an argument for the "for" side? :D