Jibbing

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by samgard, Oct 9, 2012.

1. samgard

samgard New Member

Hi all - need some suggestions for a rising 5y/o WB mare that has been a very difficult young lady to train. Extremely intelligent and doesnt like being told what to do. Have finally got the rearing and bolting sorted out and now the new problem is jibbing. We will be going forward (in walk or trot) and suddenly she will just stop and refuse to move forward. Have tried turning around and reversing which has been working but am worried she is going to start running backwards to evade that soon. have tried to hold one rein on a contact with a slight bend in the neck and using my legs (yes, even kicking) and a whip to ask her to move forward. All this does is makes her try to run out through the outside shoulder. Any other ideas? Would roller ball spurs help? By the way, I am looking to send her to a professional trainer but cant get in immedietely. Horse works very well on the ground and ridden in lunge yard but turns into troll doll in arena. All suggestions welcome

2. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

Hmmmm I could be well off the mark here, but could be sourness???
    Have you tried just riding out bush for a month or so and doing no schooling?
    Quite often the horse's are much happier going forward when out in new, fresh surroundings.
    She is only a young horse and maybe the whole roundyard/arena is too much and she just need some relax time in an enjoyable atmosphere. You can still do schooling type excersises out on bush trails.
    Prob completely off the mark, but with all young horses I would be doing at least half (if not more) of my weekly work out on trails or in big open paddocks to make sure the horse stays fresh and happy and not going sour.
    Goodluck with it all :)

3. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

check for soreness. if you are after a good trainer try ian stewart he is fantastic with these sorts of issues.

4. Jonsie

Jonsie Well-known Member

I totally agree with CC - just take her to Ian and he will sort this for you! :)*

5. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I've only ridden my 4yo mare in a lesson twice. Apart from that we do fun stuff like beach rides, cattle rounding, all the stuff that blows the cobwebs from her brain.

Agree she could be a bit sour, is she better after a week off?

6. kp

kp Well-known Member

Assuming she isn't sore somewhere. Which I'm kind of doubting going by your post, she sounds like a young horse which lacks a forward button. I am reliably informed that problems such as these aren't uncommon in warmbloods. My 7 yo tried all sorts of things on when I first got him. If he could get away with it he did. From running with his nose on the ground when asked to trot or canter. Pig rooting through trot - canter transitions, simply refusing to canter, running out of the exit. Leaning on my hands like his head was a ten ton lead weight and was simply to heavy for him to carry, laying on my leg. This from a medium level trained horse that was not sore. Just getting out of work.

The answer, an instructor and LOTS of very forward work. It wasn't always easy. But been well worth it.

7. KPH

KPH Active Member

I had this same problem in my young mare, who is also very smart. She would stop and move backward to any pressure, including the use of the crop on shoulder and bum (she has reared in the past, which is fixed now, but meant I really had to fix the problem as I couldn't let her get away with moving backwards to pressure because as it results in going upwards)
    Problem was fixed by having an experienced person with a lunge whip in the arena, when she would stop and move backwards to pressure they would begin moving in with the whip (not aggressively whipping, but enough for her to get the message) and if she ignored that a tap on the bum from the lunge whip got her going (with a couple of sour pig roots)
    Once I had got her moving forward again I would make sure she is moving well and truly in front of my leg for the rest of the ride, otherwise if she got behind my leg she would stop again. She was not sore, just been sour and testing to see what she could get away with.

ETA: she occasionally tries to do it again, but now that she has learnt from her experience with the lunge whip, a tap on shoulder or kick is enough to get her going

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. samgard

samgard New Member

Hi All

Thanks heaps for your suggestions. I, too, feel she is a little arena sour, and have been trying to get her out for pleasure rides as much as possible. Had a few good outings with friends and then made the mistake of trying to take her out on her own (couldnt get anyone to go out). It was a stupid idea - seriously where is my brain sometimes??? Started OK - went out bush when all horses snoozing and kangys doing the same. She decided tht, as there was no actual boogey men visible, there must be something invisible over there in the distance that might eat her and tried to bolt. I stopped her easily and turned back the way we came and then she flat out refused to go forward. Tried to calmly ask her to walk forward after a moment to assess lack of danger but she wouldnt have a bar of it and did a fantastic rear, spin and leap in one very fluid movement and I ended up surveying the pasture on my buttocks. Luckily, I found her a short while later and we went home and did a short schooling session to end on a good note. Have been doing some light lunge and rides with sucess so far and am going out bush again - with friends this week end so fingers crossed she has got "over" this (at least for now).
    Once again, thanks again....till next time :)

9. Shera

Shera Active Member

hi sam nothing to add except I agree go see Ian he's awesome

10. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Ouch! My super smart QH has done this in the past. He got home yesterday after many months of schooling with my super sister. He came back a man....all muscles. We just have to convince him it's harder to not work, than to work and he gives in. If she is mucking up, give her hell, but don't nag. Suggest, ask, tell, insist then repeat. I found this works better than keeping the same level of aide.

11. samgard

samgard New Member

Just a quick update. Have been going really well as of late, with most rides being perfect without any sign of the jibbing. Took her back out bush with another horse last week end and she was really good. Was a little scared in a couple of areas (those damn invisible boogiemen at work again) but was happy to follow the other horse through these areas.
    Any ideas on how I should go about getting her more independent when we are out bush so we will (eventually) be able to go out on our own? :)

12. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Walk around scary things with you in front, so that she can see and understand that you are a good leader and the she will take more of her feelings from you.
    Husbands horse will get scared check to see what my husband's reaction is, if my husband is relaxed the horse relaxes too. When on the ground the horse will try and hide behind my husband if the horse see something scary. Very funny to see a 15 hand barge arse trying to make itself small enough to hide behind hubby, then like a little kid he peeks around the side in order to see the scary thing.

13. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Instead of following the other horses nose-to-tail style, take 'short cuts' around trees and bushes (go 'bush-bashing' for a few minutes), take 'long-cuts' and meet up with the other riders after just riding a different path to everyone else... make the 'deviations' a bit further and longer each time you go out. Don't make a big hoo-haa out of it, just tell your horse "lets go exploring, buddy!" :) Works pretty well and should be relatively low stress lol :))

14. samgard

samgard New Member

Thanks again for the tips. Tried leaving the others going around clumps of trees etc on a different track to everyone else. She was a little tense the first time but once she realised she was rejoining the others, she was quite happy to do this. Even got to the stage that she wanted to lead the ride and went really well out front! Very happy with the progress so far :)