it's not much,

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Shandeh, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

Sounds like your pony's doing well shandeh, have been reading the latest posts and it never hurts to pop over a few poles on the ground to shake up his workload a little :)

Seems like hes starting to feel more balanced to you and the saddle is helping the fact, so hes improving slowly but surely :)

Good Luck, hope he keeps progressing!

2. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Maybe re-read your last thread
    "Starting to get a bit of frame happening"

You don't have to defend yourself, but you need to understand that if you post things on a public forum you are going to get a lot of peoples opinions. Take everything with a grain of salt, but if your not going to take peoples advice, (or if you don't agree you politely say that you have a different opinion.. but not make excuses) than I wouldn't bother creating threads as your only setting yourself up for criticism which is obviously not what you want to hear.

3. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Lauren i think your reply to Shandeh is uncalled for!!!!
    My god does it matter on here what we ALL post
    Like already mentioned she is 16 for Gods Sake
    I know when i was 16 i didnt think like i do now.
    Maybe lay of her as it will get that way she WONT want to post again.
    Shandeh i think you are doing well with your Boy & whatever you decide to do with him then that is YOUR decision xx
    Keep your chin up mate

4. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Lauren, if Shandeh pisses you off so much, why do you bother reading her threads? If only for your sanity, stay clear, I'm sure you have more important things in your life to concern yourself with?

Frankly, if I were Shandeh, given your attitude to her, I wouldn't even bother to read your posts in response to hers. So really, you are probably wasting every word you write to her.

Cheers.

5. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Yes sounds like your the Bully here Lauren

6. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

SOunds like you're the smart a%$e here Paula :D

7. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

LOVE IT! :) iv been following this thread,obviousy there are a lot of people with nothing better to do in life than to sit on the computer bagging everyone and bitching, and they are probably no better than the rest of us all!!!!**):):))

8. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

:confused::D trying to work this out

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  9. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

bahaha thanks guys :) Paula you trouble maker :p

As Archie said, at least (thank god) I'm not one of those spoilt brats who buy a cheap horse, and then when it's not good enough to win them ribbons in shows (or 'unsound' when really they're working it too hard, or whatever the problem is) they have it PTS or sell it on or whatever. I've come so close to selling Latte so many times but I would never actually go through with it unless my circumstances forced me to (and even then, I'd probably just lease him out!). I have put in SO much work to get him from the nervous, spook at his own shadow off the track STB (he was essentially, Gaia hadn't had him very long when I got him) to what he is now, the calm and confident out-on-his-own pleasure horse, and now I'm working to get him from there to prelim dressage and low level showjumping. Other than not being round, he is ready for prelim, it's just a question of me remembering the test (which I don't), and the jumping I am doing is quite small. I'm not sure how big the biggest jump is but it can't be more than 50cm (the biggest he has ever done is 65cm but he wasn't really ready for that - keep in mind that was more than a year ago). This is a horse that could easily clear 1m20 with the right training. I know - he has overjumped to the point where he would apparently have cleared that height, from an almost-refusal, and he was very unfit at the time. That, as with so much else, was my fault - I put him at a jump that was too much for him for his first time back after nearly a year.

He and I have come SO far in the year and a half I've had him. Sure, there have been ups and downs, but that's the story of the green horse. Now that we have the trust, and the more balanced flatwork (the only times he slipped today were when I was asking him for small circles to stop him from rushing into jumps), we can work towards being ready for SMALL (like maximum of 50cm) showjumping competition and/or training days.

I honestly couldn't be more proud of my horse. I mean of course his training would be progressing much faster with a more experienced person working with him, but all things considered, and all the hurdles we have faced, I feel like the biggest hurdle is behind us now.

ETA sorry for the novel!! :eek:

10. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

As someone said before, just because he overjumped that high doesn't mean he can actually jump a round that high.
    Sounds like things are going well for you both at the moment by the sounds of your newest thread, and that Latte is working well.
    You say he is ready for these competitions, but are you?
    You constantly comment on your 'unstable lower leg', yet plan to take him out to SJ days, where you need your lower leg a lot..
    Maybe put aside the money for these SJing rounds into getting a few lessons with an instructor who could help you work on this lower leg problem. It would probably get Latte working a lot nicer too.
    I have noticed as my position improves, the effort my horse puts into his work has doubled..
    Just think about it: $25-$50 on SJ that will get you noticed possibly for the wrong reasons, or a lesson that could help you solve those reasons?
    ;)

11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

A nice, well thought out post Myyky.**)

Shandeh, can I ask you three questions please?

1) When was the last time you had a paid lesson with a qualified instructor?
    2) Do you think you need lessons (with a qualified instructor)?
    3) Would you consider lessons for you more important than getting out and showing?

Its a bit funny to ask these questions, but I kind of need the answers before I can contribute further to this thread.:D

Cheers,
    Deb

12. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

And whats with this comment :confused:

13. Shandeh

Yes you absolutely can Deb :)

1) Ummm... just before I got Latte, and it was a group lesson, unless you count PC, which then would be just over a year ago. It's been a while (financial reasons).
    2) Yes I absolutely need lessons. I'm sure I'm teaching Latte some bad habits, and I'm sure his training would be progressing a lot faster if I had some kind of experienced guidance (I mean guidance I'll actually listen to, not Mum). I pretty much decided I need lessons when I started riding Latte again. I'm sure we could manage without but the fact is we'd do so much better with them.
    3) That's a tricky one. For Latte, either would be as beneficial - I need to get him out and about doing things and going new places with lots of other horses about, it will make him a much better rounded horse in the end, but at the same time, as mentioned above, I must be teaching him some bad habits. Qualified instruction would reduce that risk. For me, I guess lessons are more important than showing in the long run, but I have the bug, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get to a show than it is to get on a decent instructor's list.

14. smash

smash Well-known Member

3 little speckled frogs
    sat on a speckled log
    eating the most delicious grub "yum yum"
    1 jumped into the pool
    where it was nice and cool
    now there are only 2 speckled frogs
    gulp gulp
    2 little speckled frogs
    sat on a speckled .....................................................

15. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Shandeh, thanks for replying to my questions. :D I believe that you will most certainly reach your goals in the end, because you are an intelligent young lady, who can really put thought and self analisation into the problem and find solutions for it.

I can actually remember back to being your age, and I dont think I ever had a paid lesson before the age of 18. I went to pony club, and learnt a bit there, and went to shows, and learnt along the way then too. I listened to what more experienced people had to say and eaves dropped on conversations between other horse people, and bit by bit things started to make sense. Bit by bit I seemed to have more success with horses. Bit by bit horses seemed to be understanding me better.

Then I discovered books and videos, and found that another learning tool.

Then clinic's came along, and the affordability of private lessons, and more books, and different horses came through my life....wow, now I was learning how to understand and be understood by many horses.

Now I realise that every single horse that has ever come into my life has taught me something. Some have taught me heaps, some have taught me patience, but they have all taught me something!:)

Then I had the pleasure of being given a rough brumby filly who was destined for the bullet. I named her Blondie. Blondie taught me the most wonderful lesson I could ever learn....she taught me compassion....she taught me that she would do what ever I wanted, just so long as I found the right way to 'ask' her and so long as I learnt never to 'tell' her. This was my biggest lesson (to date) as I had always had a tendency to be overly assertive. Blondie changed me and opened my eyes, and for that I am forever greatful. Sadly, after having learnt this lesson, and having shared a few wonderful rides with my Blondie, she suffered a fatal head injury that caused brain damage, and I had to do the right thing for her and have her put to sleep....she fought to stay with my through seven green dream needles...all the while trying to get up and stagger towards me....it was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever experienced, but I will be forever greatful for what Blondie taught me...compassion.

Shandeh, in time you will learn many lessons from whatever horses come and go through your life, and although my brain wants to scream at you to get lessons for your position and to learn how to continue on with Latte's training, I also know that you have many many years ahead of you in which to learn all those things that I have taken years to learn.

What do they say? 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.

You love your horse, and you are not hurting your horse, so just enjoy him, and learn as you go....thats what most of us have done as well.

Like most young'uns, you would benefit from using your ears more than your mouth........but your not alone here either. :D

So go and enjoy that horse of yours. Take advice as it comes along, and learn where ever and when ever possible, and above all else, realise that you are learning on the good days and on the not so good days.

All the best, and have a merry Christmas to you and your Mum and family.

Cheers,
    Deb;)

Sorry, a bit long....I think I need to learn to speak quicker.

16. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Smash ???#(

Deb 2, what a great post**)

17. Shandeh

Thanks Deb :) I am on the case of trying to find someone qualified to instruct me, but I can't afford lessons what with paying off my new saddle (which by the way puts me in the best position, I love it) so I'm trying to listen to Mum a bit more and it really does seem to be helping. Heels down is a LOT better and my lower legs are a lot more stable. I'm sure that when I next ride the pony they won't go anywhere, little fatty with his pony movement is a lot easier to ride than Latte with his huge trot. I swear he trots bigger than a 16hh Warmblood LOL

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and your family too :D

18. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Oh, I was just joking!!!!! Thought you were making a joke about a previous thread :p**)**)

19. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

**):p**) lol

20. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Deb; I love you! Aha, very well written post.

Shandeh; Have some fun over Christmas. I have an idea about someone who could help you. But obviously without asking her or anything, not sure if it would be able to be worked out. But. PM me if you're interested.

I learnt this from THE best jump instructor when I was petrified of jumping my boy (she had me clearing 1.05m :p)

"Your safety bar in a car, is the seat belt that wraps around your shoulder and your waist. In an accident, this is what stops you from hurting. When you are riding a horse, there is no physical restraint from stopping you from falling and being seriously injured if the worst is to happen. But you still have a safety catch. They are called your heels. When you have your heels lowered, the weight of your body is in such unison with your horse, that even if he does something silly, or takes the incorrect strides to a jump, you will be secure and stable in that saddle to not only help yourself from being injured, but to help your horse from getting out of any potential danger you may find yourselves in."
    ;)