it's not much,

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Shandeh, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

but we're getting there. Slowly. I got my enormous trot back, seemingly for good, but my legs are all over the place now so it feels like he's progressing faster than I am. Only time I have the flat trot now is on the driveway and on the road - I think it has something to do with the fact that road surfaces are made with blue metal and standies race on blue metal? The pace being a flatter gait, reminding him of racing would flatten his trot too, in theory.

As suggested, I've been completely forgetting about his head set in the hope that a frame will follow. Only been doing walk/trot work because we're in a new place and he takes time to settle, and I don't want to be bolted on.

We've had a couple of flashes of brilliance, mostly resulting in my almost being catapulted over his shoulder :eek: (oh by the way, no frame at all because I haven't been asking). Don't mind my all-over-the-place position. The saddle isn't helping - don't worry, I'm getting another one soon enough, with Mum's help. Meanwhile I'm going to be mostly spelling him until we get something that fits him, with the odd bareback ride here and there when the weather allows.

Many thanks to DopeyQH for the photos and suggestions :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

He looks in lovely condition...not at all too fat.:D

In my opinion he would trot flatter on the road and driveway as it is a much harder surface than the paddock. I doubt it has anything at all to do with past memories of racing.

Can I ask? Why do you say the saddle isin't helping your position?

3. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Wow Shandeh he is looking a million $$$$$$$$
    Gorgeous Boy

4. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

It seems like you really need to work on your balance...your lower leg needs to come back, your shoulders back and back straight...really think when your riding along about the straight line through ear, shoulder, hip, heel...A horse can not work in a frame until he is balanced and a horse cannot be balanced until his rider is...forget about frames for now...just work on getting him and yourself balanced and the frame will come and yep, just leave his head alone!

as for you...lots of standing in your stirrups, get that lower leg underneath you and open up your chest!

5. Shandeh

Yes I definitely need to work on me, but I can't work on me without riding, and I can't ride in this saddle because it doesn't fit him so it rocks like a boat. Deb that's what I meant about it not helping. I actually do have a pretty good position, I'm just not used to the size of his trot.

He is really not an easy ride, and any of you would be welcome to come and ride him to confirm that fact. It would be good for him to be ridden by lots of different people and it would be great for me to get tips and pointers from lots of different people (and I do listen a lot better in person, I will take everything in and try it out). The only reason I'm making this offer is because, typical to the Standy temperament, he is a very forgiving horse. Hopefully early next month I'll have a new saddle, and meanwhile I am saving every cent I have spare so that I can get the best saddle possible. Otherwise, you're welcome to ride bareback, he will behave himself, but you'll be hard pressed to ride his trot.

6. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

heh, i'll give you a call next time i'm in busso. i always miss horsey time down there.

p.s. he is a super colour - looking fab!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  7. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Looks like he has impulsion (correct me if i'm wrong dressage peeps) and my understanding is that to get collection you need impulsion first....

Pretty boy :)

8. horsestarter

horsestarter New Member

his saddle also looks a little to far back ?? or maybe thats just the angle of the pictures?
    ps well done on getting him looking so good! he looks lovely and healthy

9. Shandeh

Thanks guys :)

Horsestarter he has a huge shoulder blade, and because we go on the shoulder blade to place the saddle he needs his saddle quite far back. It's something I've had to explain to quite a few people who wanted to put his saddle too far forward - he needs to be able to really reach forwards and he can't do that with a saddle that's too far forwards.

Whitepantheress yes I'm pretty sure that according to the german training scale collection is actually the last thing, impulsion rhythm straightness suppleness contact etc come first (not in that order though, I can never remember the correct order)

Blitzen he has a very hard mouth when he doesn't want to listen, but when he's listening he's amazingly soft. I haven't cantered him since we moved because I really don't want to be bolted on and he's a bit funny about new places, but once I've got myself a new saddle, and I have one possibly lined up, I'll push my luck a bit more.

10. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

i think i'm noticing he is leaning on the bit for balance? Correct me if im wrong here girls.

11. Shandeh

Not him so much as me :eek: it's a problem I need to work on, but a problem I'm going to have difficulty working on until I have a new saddle.

12. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

I know exactly what you mean about that flat trot, my little standy mare does it when she is trying to catch up to other horses, she panics a bit about being left behind. Once she slows down it goes back to the nice relaxed bouncy trot. My girl has only been trotting properly for a few months so when nervous her back does flatten out and it's not a nice trot to ride. I just have to keep half halting her, giving her a chance to rebalance herself and come comes back to her nice trot.

Good luck with your standy, they aren't easy to ride but worth it in the end.

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I've had ANOTHER look at your pics, and I just know you will correct me if I'm wrong :D, but to me it looks like that saddle is too big in the seat for you.

I KNOW you are getting another saddle, and I remember reading that you say because you have long legs you need a 17 inch, but before you buy another saddle, do you mind if I throw it out there for the more experienced dressage riders to comment on wether or not THEY think a 17 inch is too big in the seat or not (for you).

It would be a shame if you got another saddle only to find that it was too big and hindering you in your quest to get your position sorted.

Someone said to get your legs back and your chest back inorder to get the correct line, but I keep thinking you should get your bum more forward to get the line and if the seat was smaller your bum would be more forward.

So, with your permission ;) can we ask the more experienced dressage riders to comment on the size of the seat that THEY think would be right for you?

Your first pic (I think) makes it easy to judge the seat verses your bum (if you know what I mean?)

Anyone agree with me?:eek:

14. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Sorry Deb, but Shandeh has been given PAGES of advice for saddle and rider fit/position and chose to make excuses each and every time why not, can't, won't, 'I am an experienced rider' 'I have a great seat from riding bareback' but but but....

why would anyone bother now??? Honestly???

15. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I hear ya Nannygoat ;) I guess I was hopeful someone would agree with me:D

16. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I agree with you Deb ;)
    Smaller saddle seat and shorter stirrups IMHO. But I'm not a fantastic rider, just sayin' what I see!

17. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

There is some good advice here.

I've had the saddle fitter out for my two, and know what you are talking about re: the big shoulder and needing to watch where you place your saddle - but I would be very, very careful about saddle placement until you get a pro out. I agree with others, you may find a smaller saddle seat may help you. It also may be too far back? Hard to tell.

Other than riding this horse, is there another horse you can ride to help improve your position? Maybe some lunge work, or something like that? I agree that trying shorter stirrups could help.

I don't quite understand, though, that if you know the saddle doesn't fit your horse .. why are you riding him in an ill-fitting saddle?';'';'

18. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

Jesssss @) @)

19. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

Sorry, Shandeh, I have to agree. You will be making his back worse... ';'

20. Shandeh

I'm not. After those photos were taken I had an opportunity to watch someone else riding him and that's when I noticed that his saddle doesn't fit him. I haven't ridden in it since.

We actually had a pro out a while back who showed us where to put his saddle, but she didn't do anything about fit because at the time we only had one saddle that was close, and that saddle had foam panels so couldn't be adjusted. We hadn't had him for very long, maybe a few months, so it's been a while, but I haven't forgotten much.

Deb I have to say I agree with you about the 18" seat. I've been told by the sales girl at a horse shop that a 17" fitted me better than a 17.5" but I was more comfortable in the bigger size, and I honestly can't ride in Edward's little 16.5" saddle any more, especially not for jumping. I mean I'm OK in it at flatwork length but if it was straight cut like for dressage I wouldn't have a hope.