Its just a note to say.........

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by dun, Feb 12, 2009.

1. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I look into what colours the parents are, and what colours they have thrown, for eg a pally or buckskin to a non-dilute parent. That way you can tell for sure what colour you are looking at.

If I wasnt able to view parents or parents were unknown I would simply have them colour tested. Its only $40 and Ive got one right here to send off! :)*

2. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Kiraspark How do you have them colour tested and where??
    Dun still looking forward to seeing your Dunlino
    Cheers Shyloh :}

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

4. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

A true dun is quite easy to pick but if it is one of those 'iffy' ones (which generally are NOT true duns incidentally) then DNA testing is sometimes the only way to know for sure. A check of their pedigree will also help - check out what other colours the parents have produced and so on. However, that will only be as accurate as the databases that record the information are and as we've already mentioned, some of those are not at all accurate. If there is a lot of cream in the pedigree then chances are the horse is a buckskin not a dun.

Generally speaking though first up a true dun should have a muted or funny looking coat and a very predominant dorsal stripe which will be in the colour of the base coat and not a chalky or smutty looking overlay plus some of the following:

leg barring or mottling
    mane & tail frosting which is the same colour as the main body colour
    shoulder barring
    ear tips that look like they've been dipped in ink
    ear edging
    face mask
    cobwebbing

5. Bloo

Bloo Active Member

I'm looking forward to seeing a Palimino Dun aswell. Was looking at the color calculator thing today n I'm thinking it would make nice foals with my Pally :D

6. Tintara

Here ya go.

You can see what I meant about the undiluted dun factors on cream dun composite dilutes.

[​IMG]

7. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Thanks for the info
    Cheers Shyloh:}

8. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

What a gorgeous horse Tintara :)

9. Tintara

He is by Wyuna Gold Image who produced a LOT of duns.

From the photos I've seen of him he looks like a dullish paly with dark gold or red 'smut' on his legs and face which upon close inspection of course are dun factors. Registered AQHA as a palomino I believe but is very definitely a dun and shown as such in Qld.

Bloo, you also have a chance of a cremello dun by crossing paly to paly dun which is another very interesting colour especially if their dun factors are clearly visible. There are a couple of perlino duns around which have dark smoky coloured dun factors.

10. Bloo

Bloo Active Member

Where is this Gawjus man at? I'm having a bit of difficulty "stallion" shopping

11. Wrangler Miss

I am having trouble finding information for Wyuna Gold Image as well as a stud sire for this season??????

Added - Found out why - Wyuna Gold Image is deceased [bugger] he has nice lines as well!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  12. GailR

GailR New Member

Yup, Wyuna Gold Image is deceased. And the horse in the pic is a gelding! I had the pleasure of inspecting the horse in the pic (hubby took that photo) and he had a whole raft of dun factors and they were strong as well.

His sire produced a whole lot of duns of differnet colours. Was a nice horse into the bargain.

13. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Bit off topic, but our farm is called Wyuna :)
    Luckily we dont use it as a stud prefix :p

14. Tintara

Would certainly be an issue if you breed QHs.

Bloo, there is an imported perlino dun QH colt in NSW I think. He'd be around 2 now so something to keep in mind down the track. Palomino duns are not all that thick on the ground probably because most of them are rego'd as palys with their respective breed societies so they are advertised as such and not as duns. I guess you could always try putting a notice on some of the forums asking if anyone knows of any stallions but be prepared for the inevitable 'false' ones to step forward. As the couple of double cream / duns here start to produce offspring numbers should increase.

15. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

We do. lol! :)

16. Wrangler Miss

That sounds very interesting Gail :)

He is definately a lovely type!

17. Bloo

Bloo Active Member

Thanks will have to do that ;) But i think this maybe mainly or all WA people :confused: I am in QLd lol

18. GailR

GailR New Member

Bloo, I am in Ipswich and Wyuna Gold Image belonded to people at Fernvale. So all in Qld. Sharyn Rettke owned Wyuna Gold Image so she may have some entires around that you could use.

19. Wrangler Miss

I am in NSW *haha* ...... [wanders off to check AQHA studbook for entire progeny]

20. Bloo

Bloo Active Member

Thanks Gail,
    Lol I've just noticed alot of ppl on here are from WA.......But guess not all:)*