It's a colt and a really gross placenta

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by nklpark, Nov 7, 2013.

1. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

I think i have a very lucky colt, mare has foaled 3-5 wks earlier then usual and the placenta was pretty horrible and was retained for 9hrs .... i'm not sure what colour either cremello or perlino with a big blaze and 3 stockings from Larrapinda Lil Smarty QH x Virtual Gold QH

vet coming this arvo to check him out and IgG

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

ewwww

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Hes a beautiful and well grown foal..congratulations :))

May I just say (mainly for others who may not know) that from my own experience its quite useful to tie the placenta up on its self with baling twine and the weight of it will very often be enough to help the placenta to let go and come out. Once its broken off like that there is no weight ..
    Of course, as Im sure you and others know there are some mares that retain the placenta regardless and will always require some assistance and perhaps yours is one of these..?

Best of luck and I love your foal he is stunning :)

3. I tie placenta in a knot, just on itself, no twine needed:) so the mare doesn't step on it and break it. :)

He's done well on the placenta like that ^^^^:eek: It could be worse.

4. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

I was taught by using twine and thats how I now do it on my own stud but interesting to know you dont need it to be able to tie it up.....good suggestion :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

Yep I use the same trick in my goats, tie it back to itself. Also have tied a wet dishcloth to it before to add gentle traction (of course we all know never to pull on it).

Congrats on the new man nklpark! He is gorgeous and a very lucky and tough boy for sure. Mum looks gorgeous too :D

6. nklpark

Thank you ... my girls and i love the little smoocher he's very friendly and loves cuddle and scratch ... vets been out to check and take bloods

i normally do knot the placenta up when it's hanging down but this one had been retained for so long i was happy for it to get the extra traction swinging around ... it fell out a couple of minutes later as she'd just had another shot of oxy :) she doesn't normally retain it either and usually foals 2-3wks past her due date ... he was 2 weeks early but from the placenta i can see why he wanted out

now just crossing my fingers IgG comes back ok :D

7. nklpark

Yay IgG came back good :D off to give him morning cuddles