It seems we are still living in the dark ages...

Discussion in 'News Items' started by alexander, Dec 15, 2010.

1. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Agree totally Alexander!!

With all the hoo ha about Rolkur and Horse Slaughter THIS has got to take the cake!!!

And yet there is such little publicity about it. I follow this blog and cannot believe that after decades of abuse they are really no closer to stopping this travesty.

For the Tennessee Walking Horse

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

breaks my heart to think of the abuse some of these horses suffer. It's what puts me off the breed that people think it acceptable to treat animals like this (Totally not suggesting that Sil treats her gorgeous horses like that.)

I wish this type of competition was made illegal it is so damaging to the horse

4. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

i dont get it at all it looks grotesqe ive seen the ones that they say are natural and they look good but with those things on theyre hoofs and the stuff they use on theyre legs as i said they look clumsy and idiotic and they dont look like they are very comfortable riding that way but while there is big money to be made these mongrels will continue to do it i would like to do it to them they make me sick

5. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

That palomino that is on the page looks totally grotesque and look at its face, ever seen a more miserable haunted hunted look? Things like this makes me lose faith in man kind.
    I hope some of those Yanks get huge karma payback.
    I always vote, write letters etc when the few people trying to change things ask for help.
    Just had an idea, seeing she was just here, let Oprah know what her fellow Americans are doing. She is an animal lover and boy can she make people listen. Anyone know how to let her know?

6. alexander

I don't know miniequine...but it is a damn good idea!

Anyone have any contacts, or know how to do this???

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

pretty sure she has an internet page and you can log on and put up suggestions for stories.

8. miniequine

Yes I suppose she would have, I will go have a look, hope I find it, thanks, should have thought of that myself';'*#)

9. miniequine

ok I have emailed Oprah, I don't know how to forward the sites posted here so someone else can do that when they write her. HINT HINT
    I googled oprah website and got a lot of pages of her different things she is into, I couldn't find anythiing on animals so found a "contact us" down the bottom of one of her pages. Emailed from there.
    Hope I have got the ball rolling, come on folks,do your bit too.
    cheers

10. alexander

OK...off to do so now...

11. miniequine

Thats great Alexander, the more emails she gets the more chance she will do something, Ok you others out their who find the practice of "soring " repugnant please join us in sending emails to Oprah.
    the more the better. join us in trying to stop this insidious practice.

12. alexander

Done, I couldn't paste the whole article as her contact page limits you to 2000 characters, but I put the guilt trip on to her (being American and all) and sent a link to the article.

We just need a few more to do the same...

13. miniequine

Thanks Alexander, I am trying to remember where I saw some photos of horses legs that had been subjected to repeated "soring" wish I could find them as I would send them to her.
    Anybody else written yet? I hope. Come on people, PLEASE.

14. alexander

15. sil

sil Gold Member

Geez I hope not - we have American Saddlebreds, not Tennessee Walking Horses! Saddlebreds are not sored.

This comment is actually incorrect in the article. Soring is done not to encourage a high gait, but to encourage the horse to step behind deeply under itself during the running walk. The sore front legs make him take his weight behind as much as possible, emphasising the gait.

This. It won't be until inspections are run by truly independent auditors, that the REAL results will begin. Licensing the TWH industry to monitor its own shows was the silliest move ever made.

However the biggest problem is not the soring itself, but the community surrounding the training and competing of TWH in big lick classes. The community is poor and the people in it grow up knowing nothing other than the raising and training of these horses. It's their only skill and they need people to bring their horses to have an income. That means they need to win classes ; which fosters the need to ensure their horses are trained and sored to win.

There are people out there in these communities that want to do the right thing but can't because a non sored TWH will never win against a sored one. They have no other career path and know no other job, so they follow a road long travelled. They have families to feed so what do they do?

The introduction of DQP inspections meant that the trainers needed to be more clever. The scarring left after soring is now burnt off the horses to meet requirements in a procedure that is even more agonising for the horses than the initial soring. The horses are also trained not to flinch away from inspection of sored legs, often beaten into this training.

The methods of soring TWH for big lick classes is diabolical; I could give you a long list but it would be too depressing. I will mention one though - deliberately road foundering the horse and keeping it foundered just enough to get results, without going to complete founder, is one of the more 'modern' ways of soring the TWH which gets around DQP inspections.

16. miniequine

Another thing I read lately to get around the soring issue so the inspectors/judges what ever is now shoeing the TWH in a way which makes their front hooves sore, the imagination runs riot on imagining how they do this new cruelty. God help these horses, seems like no one else will.

17. lorna_09

lorna_09 New Member

I know you are not advocating this terrible practice, but I still object to this statement. How many people loose their jobs on any given day and just have to go out and find something else, do some extra training etc. There is always a choice if you want to.

18. miniequine

Lorna09 I agree with you. there is always some sort of work to be done so there is no excuse for blanant cruelty which is what this is, the aspca needs to revise their set of beliefs IE American Society for the Prevention of
    CRUELTY to Animals. seems to me they fall WAY short of their creed or what aspca was started for.

19. sil

sil Gold Member

It is very easy to say this but it is a huge problem in areas of the USA. I am simply saying that in order to stop the abuse, more needs to be done at a social level. This is not one or two people deciding to do this kind of business, but whole townships.

Walk into one of these areas and start sniffing around and you're taking your life into your hands - no joke.

20. Shakia

Shakia Well-known Member

Just read it, makes me feel sick :(:( Some people have no respect for animals. If people think that is an acceptable way to treat their animals in order to make a living, they are sadly mistaken. Even more unfortunate is that people enjoy seeing the horses act like this and the owners are rewarded by judges. So how do you stop it :confused: Obviously common sense isn't kicking in.