Is our float too skinny to extend?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by SullyLove, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SullyLove

SullyLove New Member

Hey all we have an old float we are doing up and was thinking of extending it.

The problem is our float seems to be skinnier than the new specs we have been looking at by about 13cm. Our float is 1520mm wide and the rest seem to be 1650mm, we were thinking of extending it to 3700mm adding a tackbox and hay storage to the front.

Does the skinniness of our float make that unreasonable? Does anyone else have an old float that is thinner than the newer models?

Plus will this affect towing two horses in it? So far only have a small galloway so wont really matter but later on will hopefully have another horse.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I honestly think that by the time you go to all the trouble, expense and downtime to do this, it would be much more effective to simply buy another.

Because you are talking a signifigant rebuild here with major alterations to the chassi and structural integrity of the float body.

3. SullyLove

SullyLove New Member

Thanks for that reply nannygoat, OH has welding experience and some friends that are metal workers so not worried about the work. Just want to know if its realistic, we were going to rebuild the float to an extended float roof specs (where the 3700mm came from) otherwise we will pay more for a custom roof and extend less.

4. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Then why not get them to simply build a new float rather than working with older compromised materials?

5. SullyLove

SullyLove New Member

Any metal that is compromised will be either replaced or sanded back ect. My OH is more excited about the chance to sink his teeth into something than anything else so it'll be his hobby for a few months. Im not worried about the time itll take or money spent doing it up I just wanted to make sure there wasnt any problems with the size. We looked at a Taylor today that was the same width as ours, so am not worried about the width now and have been told extension will be no problems.

So will go ahead with dreaming about all the random things ill get him to add to it. I like the saddle holders in the tack box :)

6. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Our aged Kalpakoff was about the same width and we fit a wide 14hh Connemara alongside a built like a barrel Arab x at 15.2 without issues.. Just don't buy a war blood ;). We also extended ours by 900mm (the width of a standard sheet of steel ;)). Wasn't that big a job - took 2 days to do the extension, although there was a lot more time in the sanding, rust converting etc in ours, as it is old. But like you, my OH is a metalworker by trade, so probably took us less time than it would some people. Yes, we probably "spent" more if you calculate it on an hourly rate for his time doing the upgrade than we might have done just going out and buying one, but its not actual money going out of the overdraft and that's important to us. We'd rather spend our evenings in the shed!
    And now we plan to sell it and rebuild an ancient 4 horse gooseneck... :rolleyes:. We must be mad.

7. SullyLove

SullyLove New Member

Thanks Anna E makes me feel more relaxed about the whole thing. I love the pick of all the kids riding together as well looked like a great day.

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I had the same thoughts ^^^
    My brother-in law rebuilt my old float and we toyed with the idea of extending it but it just wasn't worth the effort. Extending it meant altering every thing ! Even moving the axles to readjust the floats balance.
    In the end we decided it wasn't worth it and he rebuilt it as is - then I sold it a year or 2 later and bought the extended that I wanted. :p

If your OH is keen for a project then just build a new one from scratch and when it's ready, sell the one you have. :)

9. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

if you alter the float structurally, wouldn't you have to run it over the pits for a roadworthy? as it vin number wouldn't match the floats original specifications

10. Ridelikeyoumeanit

Ridelikeyoumeanit Active Member

on the floats license it doesnt actually have the measurements of the float. the only thing that will actually change as far as licensing is concerned is the added weight.

we have a taylor that is extended by 2'6" (done when it was being built, not by us) we told the builder that was what we wanted. when it arrived and i took it over the weigh bridge to get it licensed it only actually weighed 100kg heavier than our old taylor that was a standard.

11. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Depends on the float I guess and how much you extend it by.. We didn't have to move the axles on ours and it tows beautifully and is balanced. Nor did it have to go over the pits. OH did some pretty complex maths beforehand to make sure it would still work.
    Extending the front does not change where the weight it when loaded as the horses still stand in the same spot.