Is It True? Hay shortage this year?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Babe the standy ROCKS, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

I agree and guess what I pay. Its how it works.

2. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

As others have said. Heaven above farmers should actually try & make a living above the poverty line by adding a few extra dollars when the market allows.
    If they can sell it for what ever price they're asking - good on 'em.
    At least someone is getting some dollars in the bank cause I sure as hell know we aren't :rolleyes:

3. WildandFree

WildandFree Well-known Member

now i can't feed oaten coz one of my horses get high from it like a ADHD on lollies so wheaten and meadow is the only way to go

so am baffed in why won't people feed wheaten :confused:

my normal hay supplier for meadow had a horride year so have no meadow hay

and then a mate told me bout wheaten hay and gave me the number of a great supplier i love it and so do my horses it its not stalky at all it well cut and very nice hay

WnF

4. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Might come down to the maturity of the grain in the hay W&F.

5. Court Eagle

Court Eagle Well-known Member

I havent read all of the posts but short answer.....yep! We have already got 10 rolls and bales stored away. Plus buying the usual bales week to week. Im a paranoid person, best to be on the safe side i reckon!

6. shaylee

shaylee Well-known Member

we just had our hay cut and the guy which did it told us to padlock it lol
    he reckons its the best he has cut this year huge rolls and really heavy

we actually got more rolls this year of the 2 big paddocks we cut
    so pleased after hearing that theres going to be a shortage

hubby was really happy with the way it grow this year full of clover
    the cows are going to love it this summer i bet

next year hes going to throw some oats around so they get some mixed hay

7. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

I think we're good :D
    This is our first paddock done about 900 bales.
    And another 2 paddocks this size to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shed is now almost full!
    [​IMG]

Anyone care for some hay bales? :p
    Sorry guys, couldn't resist heheh

8. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

The southern parts of the state have had much more rain than those of us in the wheatbelt. Our paddock which would normally have given over 90 rolls cut 8. It was just too short for the baler to pick up, so we left it in winrows and let the stock in. Our friend has saved us 20 rolls of their hay, and with the 14 we still had, we will just make it through, although we have gotten rid of 2/3 of the sheep, the cows are going and I am selling off ponies. The farmer over the road normally gets 6000 bales but this year got 1500. I was also told that some crops look OK but the seed heads haven't developed properly.

9. Anna E

Anna E Guest

We're short here too. I have stockpiled ;)
    BUT - export orders down big time due to the Foot and Mouth outbreak in Japan so keep those export hay shed contacts current - there might be some bargains. Also some people who would normally contract to export hay sheds might have found they're not buying, so will have hay on hand.
    Barley hay is fine for horses. So is wheaten. Barley STRAW is good for fatties and laminitis ponies. My mob happily ate barley straw this year - combined with a little bit of grain feed and some molasses and oil for the hard keepers they did VERY well on it. We have barley again this year: we will be baling the straw for feed (we have been lucky enough to actually have a harvestable crop). Canola hay has quite a good nutritional profile (it will have been cut and baled green so will not be as "woody" as a canola stubble) BUT it tastes and smells very different and some will refuse to eat it. It also carries a risk of nitrate poisoning - can be tested for, but all in all wouldn't be my first "alternative" choice. I'd look for barley straw first.
    Much of the cereal hay will be lower in protein than usual as there will have been very little seed head fill. It will be higher in sugar as the energy that would normally go into getting taller and bigger will have been stored in the short stalk instead, and it will have developed less cell wall structure (a.k.a fibre).
    So WATCH the fatties and the ponies. Soak the hay, even though it may seem like a "waste".
    And another plea - IF you get desperate don't forget there is still the risk of ARGT if you start buying hay from new places. Ask for a testing certificate! And yes cereal hays can still have enough rye grass in them to cause ARGT!

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Some excellent info there AnnaE!!

11. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Yup - I have preordered 50 bales (I only have one horse to worry about). But our guy is looking like only producing about 700 bales i think where as normally close to 2000. He is very good to me and i pre order and then just pick up as i need it. I think most of his has already sold though.

12. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

E4E Personally i dont think it looks very good. And seeing as how many farmers livelyhood relies on there crops producing enough hay/grain so that they can make there loan repayments, dont rub it in #(
    I had a close friends father commit suicide last year because the bad years just got to much for him. :( Imagine life being that bad that you would leave your wife and kids behind, and rather be dead.

13. IndyR'n'R

IndyR'n'R Well-known Member

What about Pea Hay?
    I know it is ok for horses, but the reason that my brother has hay is because the field peas weren't good enough to harvest so he has baled it up, so is that still ok to feed. I have fatties too, so is it better or worse for them than say oaten.

He just rang me and told me he had a whole heap and was willing to do me a deal (what a nice brother) so a trip to Dumbleyung is on the cards for me.

14. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Whilst I realise it's very bad in the wheatbelt not all areas in the south have had 'much' rain. My friend Nth of Cranbrook had a total of 4 & a half inches of rain from Jan 2010 to beginning of October. That's not alot of moisture to grow crops on. They were also hit with frosts as I'm sure parts of the wheatbelt were too. It is as always very hit & miss.

Anna - to clarify - are you saying that barley & wheat hay with the grain heads still on (obviously not matured) is OK for horses?
    Not that I'll be feeding it but some people may have to.

15. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Wow RRC, I'm sorry to have offended you. It certainly wasn't my intention and those of you who know me, know that I would never 'rub it in'. I was simply posting some pictures after a long day carting hay to show everyone that no, not everywhere is struggling for hay this year.
    I'm sorry to hear about your farmer friend, in no way was it my intention to rub it in to farmers who are having trouble making a living this year.

I'm sorry I said anything.

16. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

ARGH!
    I get through about 200 square bales.
    I have three horses.
    The farmer is inconveniently in Phuket, but cutting crops the second he gets back.
    Going to have to use his round bales this summer I think.
    And get LOADS of square bales paid for and carted down here so that he doesn't sell them to anyone else.
    On the good side for me personally, he's still only charging $3.50 per bale out of the field.

17. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I am on Eyre Peninsula at the moment and heard today that more than 11,000 sheep have been brought here from WA for agistment and several thousand cattle:( Not a good sign at all.

18. Iron Horse Hill

Iron Horse Hill Active Member

Goodie we have been carting loads of sheep East from WA. Simple reason, no food here for the sheep, cheaper sheep prices here than east. We met up with the truck at the border along with about 20 other trucks that night. Each truck had between 600 to 900 sheep on board and this is happening EVERY day and has been going on for weeks.
    Do the maths and I think you will find not only is there going to be a hay shortage but also a sheep shortage here in the near future. So that equates to pricey hay for the horses and pricey lamb for us.
    We are fortunate to have a crop to harvest this year and will be baling the header trails for wheat straw which will be sold (after I keep some for my animals). Usually it would be just burnt but in a year like this that would be just wasting a whole lot of tucker that animals could be chowing down.
    But you don't have to go very far north from us (only about 20km) and the crops start to go down hill. Many of our friends have no crop, have sprayed it out and have written this year off completely.
    Unfortunatley thats farming and mother nature strikes some below the belt punches sometimes!!!
    Cheers
    Jo

19. CatabyWarmbloods

CatabyWarmbloods Active Member

Agreed - I've come from a farm when my parents were farming and although we didn't grow hay, we did do cereal crops and I can tell you how tough it is when you have hard year after hard year... and if you have a bumper year and many other's have had a hard year, you definately make sure you get all the dollars you can in the bank so you can put a crop in next year without digging any further in the negative overdraft balance. I fustrates me so much when people think you're millionaires because you're a farmer (or you were) - not at all, even when you sell up, by the time you pay off your debt and everything else, you're lucky to have enough to buy a small house in suburbia let alone by a mansion with a pool and a ferrari in the garage. Doesn't work like that unfortuntely.

I know it's tough on our pocket book, but remember the farmers have HUGE costs to produce feed and hay etc. Buy the grain, fuel, wear and tear on the gear, points for the bar, tyres for the gear, fertiliser (and holly crap is that EXPENSIVE!!), herbicide and pesticide for the crop, fuel for spraying, wear and tear on the spraying equipment, cost of keeping fencing in order to keep out kangaroos/emus/stock/etc etc, fuel for harvesting/cutting/rolling, wear and tear on all that gear, fuel for the truck for carting the grain/hay - wow do I have to keep going?!? Farmers do it tough, good on them when they get a good year - because let's face it, it's not up to them if they have a good or bad year... it's up to old mother nature who can be a wicked wench to you when she wants to be.

20. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

I am sure you didnt mean it to sound the way it did :eek:
    And judging by all your other posts i know you wouldnt have been deliberatly rubbing it in. Sorry for snapping :eek: