Is It True? Hay shortage this year?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Babe the standy ROCKS, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

Just have been speaking to a few people and it seems there will be a feed shortage this year due to not enough rain to grow the hay.#(
    Getting a bit worried, just paid $15.50 for a bale of oaten hay although it is a very nice bale.

2. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

shit!

I pay $10 for my bales

3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

We haven't exactly had much in the way of winter rains so yep, a hay shortage is to be expected.
    What is available won't be cheap and you can be expecting to pay a premium price for it as time goes on.
    Lets hope for a more normal and wetter winter next year.

4. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

there is going to be a MEGA feed shortage this year unfortunately :( I'm hoping I'll still be able to get Oaten hay at all by the end of the summer

5. painter

painter Well-known Member

The season has been very bad for all crops - firstly not as much got seeded due to lack of rain at the right time, then what was seeded hasn't had enough rain to grow properly, and what has grown properly is starting to dry out before it should or got hit by late frosts. I know some farmers around here are going to cut their canola for hay because it is drying to quick to be suitable for harvesting the canola. There are two massive paddocks down the road from me that were sown with oats that are still only 15cm tall on average across the paddocks and they are going brown already.

Another farmer i spoke to last week had excellent quality hay, but only got 1800 square bales from a paddock that did 4000 bales last season - and he was offered $11.00 per bale for the lot in the field, so you can imagine what the price would be at the stockfeeds. I have heard from a couple of places that what is available is good quality, just that there is not enough of it.

The problem of course is that hay supply won't increase until this time next year assuming next season is a better one.

6. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

So what alternatives will we have for hay/roughage/fibre needs of our horses?

7. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Speedibeet, haycubes lol.

Personally I usually go hay rolls over summer until winter as they dont need protection and can usually have 1 last atleast a good 2- 3 months with the 3 on them for part of the day. But Im lucky enough to have green paddocks all year round so their little bit of hay they get at night is more so to keep them entertained then feed wise, Im more of a hardfeed feederer lol so that they get their vits/mins with enough chaff.

8. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

As said earlier, there will be a shortage of everything this year. And probably next year as well.
    Farmers out here are either not going to harvest and just put sheep on their crops or harvest and keep it for feed/next years' seed. There will be very little up for sale.

A lot of farmers out this way have baled their hay, but because of the lack of rain, the hay stalk isn't very long so doesn't bale well. More and more people have gone to making small rectangular bales as they hold together better with less stalk. Round bales and big rectangular bales are sitting in paddocks out here and falling apart as you look at them.

Mum manages a stock feed company in Perth and she is already having farmers ring up and saying sorry but they won't be able to fulfill their orders for next season.

And yes, it sucks to have to think about the rising cost of horse feed, but just spare a moment for the farmers who might not have anything to sell at all this year. That means no income. The wheatbelt is certainly a pretty sad place to be at the moment :(

9. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

plenty of hay over here:p..weve had a record amount of rain this year(and its still raining) all dams are 100% capacity..which means hay prices are 10 bucks for A grade lucerne..not that i buy hay anyway..the grass is enough for my boy**)

10. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

:eek:

*jealous face*

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

How much for postage :p

12. chickiboom

chickiboom New Member

Yes i unfortunately have heard the same thing, just a few days ago. And even though most ppl ar lapping up these sunny days the farmers are cringeing. Cutting of hay starts the second the season dries up and in this years case 3 wks earlier than usual. It may not sound like much but in hay terms, its lost at least 25% of it's growth. I have been told to expect hay prices to be $18.00 a bale!! So therefor chaff etc etc

13. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Already heard from one hay man that they aren't taking new clients, and will probably have to cut their current client list.
    Another has said he's lost about 60% on last year, and pretty-much most of his crop is already pre-sold.

Sound like it's gonna be fun.

14. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Been told to expect $20 per sq bale by Jan!?!? Been offered this season's bales at $12 per bale & seriously considering getting 50 & sticking them in my shed for next year!!! Lucky I only have 2 to feed.

15. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

but just spare a moment for the farmers who might not have anything to sell at all this year. That means no income. The wheatbelt is certainly a pretty sad place to be at the moment

So true Cadabby.. my folks have put the farm up for sale this year. The bank just won't lend them any more money, we use to grow our own hay for stock feed over summer and then also sell some. We had no crops to even harvest this year let alone make hay. Very sad, my family home and my childhood will be going this year all due to the weather..

On that positive note:)

16. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I've been concerned about this for a while. Whilst personally I should be ok, I have more than enough grass for the ponies and have secured a hay supplier for the summer. The farmers around here have been cutting hay for a few weeks which is much earlier than normal. Also the paddocks have far fewer rolls in them than last year too.
    It's gonna be a tough year!! #(

17. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Good Luck to your parents!!!
    I know how hard it was for my parents when we had 3 years in a row of hail straight through the middle of our orchard (apples 3 varities and pears 2 varities), combined with a drop in Dairy Fat prices, 5 years running... it was terrible to hear Mum talk (I was over seas at the time.).

18. carla

carla Well-known Member

i have just purchased my hay for the next year from a local farmer that is harvesting in about 2 weeks. he has presold everything before harvest. i was luck to get some. i normally just get it as i need it but i dont want to miss out later in the year. we will seed our own paddock next year and hope to get some rain.

19. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

You and everybody else, Carla. :)

20. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

There will be plenty of hay, just not the quality. Farmers will be cutting and baling all sorts of types as there is no point harvesting it. It is very sad for people farming, we have been very lucky and for some reason our oats got just enough water. The outside of the crop was just starting to die, so we have mowed it and it looks good.
    Sympathy to all those whose didnt :(