Is it good to give your horse a break from supplements you add to their feed ?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by proud mum, Nov 4, 2007.

1. proud mum

proud mum Well-known Member

Hi everyone:) , I have been told over the weekend that its good to give your horse a break from the supplements ie vitamin and mineral, garlic,rosehip etc,that you add to the feeds. Do any of you do this and have you heard of this before?

2. rica

rica Well-known Member

The only time my horses go without supps and hard feeds is for 6 weeks of the year when they get turned out to a GREAT BIG FAT GREEN paddock. They go and pretty much fend for themselves (within reason of course) and they have not had any adverse effects from it. However every one has different ideas and that is just how I do it.

3. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Good question. Don't know, i will be watching this thread for the answer**)

4. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I was told that with some herbs they shouldn't be feed for longer than three months at a time, ie; devils claw as its a anti-inflammitry.
    Not sure about the others though.

5. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Rica - I second that its good to flush their systems out, it goes for heavy grain diets as well as supps in my world! Mine go for 6-12 week spell no rugs, or supps or commerial feeds. But yes some supps and herbs should not be used for more than one (12 week) blood cycle. Due to impact on the stomach/kidney/ liver ect..

6. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

No need if it is just a Mineral/Vitamin supplements (as long as you are not giving too much already).
    Herbs are a different story depending on the herb or use.

7. Roe

Roe Banned

I do not feed my horses anything other then some chaff and hay and whatever is in the paddock. They do fine. I do have a mineral block in my paddock however I have had that in there forever and none of the horses at my place have really touch it.

So giving your horse a rest ... I am sure it wont hurt it if you do. :)

8. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

I feed my horses a herb/mineral mix suggested by a equine herbalist. Reading this post I am wondering now if i should actually give them a rest from them, they have been on pretty much the same mix for a good while now. Both horses look fantastic however one horse has developed two lumps (one of which was cut out as was nasty looking, the other the vet says is a fatty lipoma and suggests to leave it be). I am not entirely convinced it could be somehow related to the diet but of course how would you ever know? i might start another post on the lumps subject...