Insuring saddlery

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Oldhack77, May 25, 2007.

  1. Oldhack77

    Oldhack77 Gold Member

    hi i just took out a new contents policy but i can only insure my horse gear if i keep it at home..... grrr..this aint going to work as i want to leave some at the stables

    who do you guys insure your gear with and is it under your contents policy or separate?

    i know you had it done hey wen?
  2. mav

    mav Well-known Member

    who are you with Nic? mines insured through my home and contents and they reckon its ine to leave at the stables? we through NAB... at least that is what OH has told me if its not true he going to get a bollocking if anything gets nicked!!
  3. kim

    kim New Member

    I have mine insured through Western QBE. If you have a Contents policy, you can take out a Valuables policy to cover specified items like saddlery. Doesn't cost too much either. It covers you for accidental loss or damage.
    This policy is designed to cover your gear away from home, so if you leave your saddle at an agistment centre or in a locked vehicle and it is stolen or damaged, you are covered for the amount specified on the policy.
  4. mav

    mav Well-known Member

    ohhh nic I think thats the thing me and OH have... maybe. He was prety agey on the phone last night about it all so he better of got it done... although if he hasn't and it does get pinched i get a new one... hmmm brain ticking over here!! *#)
  5. Ali

    Ali Well-known Member

    Mine is coverd under home and contents insurance. I think there's some clause in it about having to be in a locked building too so if my rugs got stolen off my horse's backs it possibley wouldn't cover that?
  6. kim

    kim New Member

    Ali, my advice would be to phone them and ask. A lot of companies only cover your contents when locked up. But it's worth asking and maybe they have an optional outdoor cover they can offer you.
  7. ashka

    ashka Well-known Member

    Mine sounds similar to Kim's. I have a contents policy with SGIO and my saddle is insured as a 'specified portable item' or something to that affect. It's the same way my engagement ring is insured. I had to pay more to do it this way, but now it is insured regarldess of where it goes. My normal contents policy would only cover unspecified sporting goods up to $1000 which would be completely useless if someone raided my house for equestrian equipment.

    I know a lot of people insure their saddlery through the same company they have their horse insured with.
  8. Sassy

    Sassy Gold Member

    with my insurer (where I also work), I have my saddlery insured on my contents. I only need to note it down as a "special risk" if it is over $2000 in value.
    as I agist and keep alot of my gear out there I have it noted on the policy that a certain value of gear is permanently kept at that address.

    Nic if your insurer wont cover contents away from the home I would be questioning what the point of their cover is! what about your Purse or Jewellery???? - if they can over those then they should be able to cover your saddles!!
  9. maxntaz

    maxntaz Well-known Member

    Im similar to as you Sassy, with only what is valued over $2000 listed seperately.....
  10. Lily

    Lily Well-known Member

    We're with GIO for our home and contents policy. I recently insured my new saddle as a special item for $4000 for loss or damage anywhere in Australia. That cost around $65 a year. Worth it in my opinion for an expensive saddle, that does not spend it's time in a locked room but goes to shows etc... They recorded the identification number of the saddle in the policy. Mind you I keep it in the house and carry it down to the tackroom every time I ride (a bit tedious but the price I'm prepared to pay for peace of mind).
  11. simbin

    simbin Gold Member

    Does anyone know of anyone that insures gear if you dont have contents. I live with my dad at the moment and so dont have insurance. My gear is kept at the centre where I agist.
  12. Wendycam1

    Wendycam1 Well-known Member

    Hi Nic. I'm with Wesfarmers Federation Insurance. They insure all my saddles, rugs and tack which are housed at the agistment centre.They are on my contents policy and the policy worked out about $100 cheaper than other quotes I got which was a bonus.
  13. Ace

    Ace Well-known Member

    Best thing to do is ring around. Alot of them will only insure with your contents policy aswell as it is an extension of your contents not a seperate policy itself. Another thing is to also ring the company your dad has his contents with and see if they will extend the policy to insure your saddlery. Just make sure they are aware it is your property and not your dads.



Share This Page