Insurance when horseriding

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Belinda, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

I am about to send the EWA a very firm email asking for my membership money back in light of finding out that the current memberships are for 6 months only (for almost as much money as I paid last year for 12 months).

The main reason I have been a member of the EWA is for the insurance aspect, so if not a member of the EWA I will need to arrange alternative insurance.

Is anyone aware of any companys that offer insurance for horseriders, when they are riding and handling horses, 24/7, anytime, anywhere.

I used to have this cover with a company that I think was called Equine Alliance (or similar) but I am unable to find a phone number for them and their web site is not working.

2. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

you can join the SHC as a senior/riding member for $100 per year. The insurance is the same cover as EWA.

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

RPS,

Does this cover all aspects of horseback riding in any location or is it only limited to shows?

cheers

4. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

All sounds great!

6. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Thank you RPS - excellent!**)

cheers

7. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Thanks for the link :)

I am just curious....will competitors be able to use various Insurers to compete? That is, will shows/comps allow an entrant to provide proof of Insurance and not confine the Insurance for particular events to one Insurer.....

If that is clear as mud....I mean....will a competition be able to state (for example), must be this Insurer or this other Insurer? It's hard enough organising a competition programme around my shifts as it is, without having to start looking at which Insurers are allowed on the day :) Hence, the day insurance has worked favourably for us.

8. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

SHc has the same underwriter ( insurer ) as EWA if that helps.

9. Belinda

Wattle, in the past when I was insured with Equine Alliance, and was not a member of EWA, I found that at compeitions my insurance was not "allowed" and I would still have to pay the day insurance fee. This wasn't an issue for me because I rarely compete, and value the insurance more for my recreational riding, however I can see how that arrangement wouldn't work for more regular competitors.

Will check out the Show Council website. Thanks for that.

10. Belinda

Great, have just checked out the SHC website, and it seems like the go. So now to send the email to EWA and see what response I get!!

11. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

No response is my guess. I think you will have to phone them.

12. Belinda

Hmmm, will give it a couple of days and see if I hear then! Did give a deadline in my email of 5pm Friday for them to let me know either way whether they plan to give my money back or not. After that I plan to go to Consumer Affairs/Department of Fair Trading/Ombudsman - whichever is relevant!!

13. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Go get them !!! will be interested to see how you go.