Insurance for trial period

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Busy Mum, May 9, 2006.

  1. Busy Mum

    Busy Mum New Member


    I am getting a horse on trial for one month before I commit to purchasing, and I was just wondering if I should get some sort of insurance cover? The agreement I have with the owner is that if anything happens to the horse then he is my responsibilty which I think is fair. I also wondered if the insurance company would insure the horse because I have no proof he is mine until I purchase him.
    For the month I obviously wont be doing a huge amount with him just light hacking out and getting to know each other!
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

    Busy Mum x
  2. QH convert

    QH convert Guest

    Hi Busy Mum:

    I'd try calling a couple of brokers and explain what you want.

    I had to take out a short term insurance policy (although not on a horse) when I was in UK last year and the answer was to pay for 12 months and cancel it when I didn't need it anymore and they refunded the amount for time "not used". Hopefully it will be simpler (and cheaper) for you.

    I doubt it will be a problem insuring the horse without you as the "owner" - people insure leased horses all the time (usually as part of the lease agreement). Just make sure that you explain this when they do up the policy and the policy clearly states the legal owner (them), the "guardian" (you) and where the horse is being kept/what it's to be used for and so on and it should be fine.

    Think about the type of cover you need - death, loss of use, accident/injury costs (ie "health insurance"). The types of policies vary a lot in cost.

    Read the policy too - often if the policy only covers death (and sometimes loss of use) it can get a bit hairy if the horse needs an expensive surgery as this is often not covered in the basic theft/death/loss of use policy. Often the surgery can cost more than the horse is worth, but the company won't pay out if you have not taken "all possible options". It might be best to discuss what level of insurance (ie death or loss of use) the owner has in mind.

    I'm sure the brokers will explain this better than me.

Share This Page